VR quality settings

22 minutes ago, Bbow said:

Is it reasonable to believe that the performance boost some people are seeing in VR is because of the lower quality clouds? So it stands to reason that if they fix the low quality and improve it we can expect VR performance to go down the drain?  

Personally I can't really tell if my performance is better...it kind of feels the same as 2.5.6 without a shaders mod. 2080S card , 5900X & Reverb G1. 

The water does seem too dark though, as do the shaded areas under the clouds.  Turning the gamma up makes everything too bright when you are in the sunny areas. 

Well yes, if ultra in VR was the same as 2d you'll see a performance hit for sure

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

I find it hard to believe anyone is seeing performance inprovement in VR ? Who said they did ?

Plenty of people, forums and social media. Feed back has been very positive. 

We still have work to do, we have already acknowledged the VR issues in the change logs, and we will continue to improve. 

My FPS have not changed from 2.5.6 to 2.7 still getting great frames in VR. 

Edit:

just to add, if you are seeing issues with frame rate, 

rename your dcs folder in saved games ( keep it as a backup )

restart dcs

redo your desired settings. 

test frame rate. 

you can always return to the backup

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

We still have work to do, we have already acknowledged the VR issues in the change logs, and we will continue to improve. 

Edit:

restart dcs

test frame rate. 

What do you lose by doing this?  I can think of the following:

- kneeboard pages

- mods

- saved missions (?)

Do you keep your control option keybinds? 

Is there anything else to consider before doing this?

3 hours ago, average_pilot said:

Not an attempt at fixing anything, but a curiosity. Touching things I don't understand in clouds.lua I managed to get this fancy clouds. This is the 'Overcast and Rain 1' preset. Although whatever I did made the clouds to have less "geometric" detail let's say, the individual puffs they are made of look more small and detailed, closer to how they look like in 2D.

The point is that I don't think the problem really depends on Pixel Density as suggested. It looks more like whatever parameters DCS is changing when selecting cloud details from "low" to "ultra" in 2D are not being applied in VR.

DCS 2021-04-17 11-08-45.jpg

DCS 2021-04-17 11-08-56.jpg

DCS 2021-04-17 11-09-26.jpg

Yeah you decreased the noise size. I also think that it is a kind of parameter optimization. They are too bright in VR, so the details are lost and burned out to white. But I did not managed to find the shader that controle these. When creating fractal noise in After Effects you have a slider that controles contrast, brightness, ecolution, offset and size for example. If someone could find the file we had to edit, we can tune them. The clouds.lua just are presets that you can select in the game. But these are just values that controles the min & max height and primary the placement of the cloudlets - not the shadong of each cloud itself. (but yeah we can create our own cloudpresets here, maybe sometimes there comes a preview viewer like for plane where we get all sliders that controles the cloud system)

12 hours ago, havok2 said:

Hello Jafergon, Hello Community,
I did some research today and found out the following connection. The clouds in DCS are rendered separately as I understand it. That is, the game world is rendered, then the clouds and then everything is merged. Ok so far no miraculous insight 😄 however I noticed that the cloud quality no matter with which VR resolution (in Steam) always looks the same. Ergo, the clouds are always simulated with a defined resolution regardless of the resolution of the game. This looks very good in 2D and unfortunately not quite as sharp in VR. Here it simply needs a higher resolution. If you quickly rotate the camera around the aircraft in the exterior view far away from the aircraft and stop, you can partially see the individual voxels, these are then quickly smoothed. I think this temporal smoothing is currently also the devil, whereby just the perspective of the clouds gets an offset to the world and wobbles. The settings Low-Ultra seem to change almost nothing. Possibly a placeholder of the BETA? 

But then I noticed, if you change the pixel density in the settings of DCS, the resolution of the clouds is also scaled. So if I set the resolution in Steam from 200% to 100% and set the pixel density to 2.0, the clouds are sharper. However, my system [5900x, 32GB 3200 CL14, MSI RTX 3090 Trio X] then breaks down to 40Fps and lower in 80Hz mode.... Too bad, it looks really nice. Of course, it also works the other way around. I have currently decreased the pixel density to 0.8 and the resolution in Steam (DCS 270-290% | Global 100%), so that I have a similarly good resolution in the game, except for the clouds. But this way I have a stable 80fps with 2746*3050px per eye. Unfortunately, at least on my index, the quality is a bit worse than with pixel density 1.0, but that's because I don't use AA and SteamVR uses an Advanced Supersampling filter. However, it is a very good compromise between optics and performance. Attached are my settings. 

& I am using the shader Mod as well.

80fps.jpg

Settings.jpg

SettingsSteamVR.jpg

SettingsVR.jpg

Are you able to use the 2.5.6 shader mod with 2.7?

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Edit:

restart dcs

test frame rate. 

When flying above the clouds it's about frametime going from 18 to 21 ms difference between clouds on and off. (so +3 ms with clouds enabled)
When flying towards the ground without clouds frametime goes from 18 to 20ms. 
When flying towards the ground with clouds frametime goes from 21 to 27 ms. 

I will try what you mentioned but i doubt it will work, but thx anyway. 

1 hour ago, Bbow said:

I read that the mod has been updated already to work with 2.7

Wow right you are, it's been released! Thanks! 

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

1 hour ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

When flying above the clouds it's about frametime going from 18 to 21 ms difference between clouds on and off. (so +3 ms with clouds enabled)
When flying towards the ground without clouds frametime goes from 18 to 20ms. 
When flying towards the ground with clouds frametime goes from 21 to 27 ms. 

I will try what you mentioned but i doubt it will work, but thx anyway. 

What are your system specs?

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

15 hours ago, havok2 said:

Hello Jafergon, Hello Community,
I did some research today and found out the following connection. The clouds in DCS are rendered separately as I understand it. That is, the game world is rendered, then the clouds and then everything is merged. Ok so far no miraculous insight 😄 however I noticed that the cloud quality no matter with which VR resolution (in Steam) always looks the same. Ergo, the clouds are always simulated with a defined resolution regardless of the resolution of the game. This looks very good in 2D and unfortunately not quite as sharp in VR. Here it simply needs a higher resolution. If you quickly rotate the camera around the aircraft in the exterior view far away from the aircraft and stop, you can partially see the individual voxels, these are then quickly smoothed. I think this temporal smoothing is currently also the devil, whereby just the perspective of the clouds gets an offset to the world and wobbles. The settings Low-Ultra seem to change almost nothing. Possibly a placeholder of the BETA? 

But then I noticed, if you change the pixel density in the settings of DCS, the resolution of the clouds is also scaled. So if I set the resolution in Steam from 200% to 100% and set the pixel density to 2.0, the clouds are sharper. However, my system [5900x, 32GB 3200 CL14, MSI RTX 3090 Trio X] then breaks down to 40Fps and lower in 80Hz mode.... Too bad, it looks really nice. Of course, it also works the other way around. I have currently decreased the pixel density to 0.8 and the resolution in Steam (DCS 270-290% | Global 100%), so that I have a similarly good resolution in the game, except for the clouds. But this way I have a stable 80fps with 2746*3050px per eye. Unfortunately, at least on my index, the quality is a bit worse than with pixel density 1.0, but that's because I don't use AA and SteamVR uses an Advanced Supersampling filter. However, it is a very good compromise between optics and performance. Attached are my settings. 

& I am using the shader Mod as well.

I have the Index too and my best config is DCS PD 1.5 and SteamVR SS 1.0 (Default) and 120hz refresh rate (Index). I have better results with 120hz than 90hz although i thought my system can´t handle it. Hope it will help you.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

BigNewy, the change logs don’t mention the quality issue that we are seeing in this thread, where VR clouds are of a very different quality than in 2D, and where even “Ultra” looks about the same as “Low” in VR when they look quite different in 2D. It looks as if they’re simply less detailed and use simpler shading and lighting in VR.

This is definitely not a pixel density or settings issue, and is very apparent and widely reported.

Has the ED team acknowledged and have been able to reproduce this? I don’t think we’ve seen the issue acknowledged separately from the those mentioned in the change log, which seems to be completely separate things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, SundownSix said:

BigNewy, the change logs don’t mention the quality issue that we are seeing in this thread, where VR clouds are of a very different quality than in 2D, and where even “Ultra” looks about the same as “Low” in VR when they look quite different in 2D. It looks as if they’re simply less detailed and use simpler shading and lighting in VR.

This is definitely not a pixel density or settings issue, and is very apparent and widely reported.

Has the ED team acknowledged and have been able to reproduce this? I don’t think we’ve seen the issue acknowledged separately from the those mentioned in the change log, which seems to be completely separate things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes we are already looking into it. 

thanks

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Many users have said to me they had issues with the clouds being poor quality until they renamed their dcs folder in saved games ( keep it as a backup), then allow dcs to create a new one, redo settings and test. 

Sorry for off topic, but maybe it´s related to the "clouds stuck on low quality in VR" issue, but water definitely also looks like lowest setting in VR since 2.7. no matter which option in graphic settings menu.

So I decided to switch back to stable until further patches. Along with the wobbling clouds in VR this is just too much that feels rather like a step back since ver. 2.56

Too bad I´m on steam and have to download 30 GB again :(((

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

56 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Many users have said to me they had issues with the clouds being poor quality until they renamed their dcs folder in saved games ( keep it as a backup), then allow dcs to create a new one, redo settings and test. 

Ya I tried renaming the folder and starting with a new saved games folder and it makes no difference in cloud quality or FPS/frametimes. Clouds still look like out of focus puff balls and fps and stutters increased for me. I previously had a fresh OS install on my new NVME drive with very smooth performance at the same settings as now. I can get 45fps but the stutters and frame drops have become worse and more frequent even with a new DCS folder created.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

I tried this with no luck. I've noticed that PD .5 has the bouncing clouds issue for me. If I raise it to PD 1 then they it goes away. However, no matter what the PD I set I still get the blurry clouds regardless of low - Ultra Cloud settings. (I selected the default VR settings in DCS then tested PD .5 - 1) FPS is lower than usual but not by a whole bunch. Also, I get the halo effect mentioned in other threads. This halo happens when I go above the clouds. My thoughts are its happening when i have an upper deck of clouds above me and a lower deck. The best way to describe the halo is the outer most area of my vr lens have a slight glow at the top and bottom.

HP Reverb G2 (Running Steam VR)

RTX 2080 TI Driver 461.92

i9-10900k

62GB DDR4 3600

Nvidia_Settings1.PNG

Nvidia_Settings2.PNG

DCS_System.PNG

DCS_VR.PNG

SteamVRSettings1.PNG

SteamVRSettings2.PNG

Edited by wraith76
  • Like 1

Nope. Didn't work for me. I was hoping it would tho. As long as the team knows this is an issue and VR clouds are already a priority, I think this topic can be put to rest. Unless someone comes up with a work around.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

That did not help. VR clouds are still stuck on the lowest settings. Framerate is good, but it was good before. 

I'm eagerly awaiting the news on the hotfix for those issues.

Edited by Dragon1-1

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Dragon1-1 said:

That did not help. VR clouds are still stuck on the lowest settings. Framerate is good, but it was good before. 

thanks for letting me know, yes it seems to work for some and not others. 

we are working on it and investigating the quality settings in vr

thanks

• Thanks 3

What does this do please?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Mower said:

What does this do please?

resets all settings basically, you create a new default settings when dcs restarts 

• Like 1