New hot spot V in HUD

Ratfink

Love it! Thanks for the inclusion in 2.7.

Just like the real thing I've seen in the videos! Loads of false pickups just like the real jet 😂

Edited by Ratfink
  • Like 1

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

11 hours ago, Ratfink said:

Just like the real thing I've seen in the videos! Loads of false pickups just like the real jet 😂

Also the new JTAC -> CAS page integration makes finding targets a lot easier

12 hours ago, Ratfink said:

Oh, that's really good to hear! I was really afraid the  hot spot detector makes it too easy to spot ground units. I'm very reliefed to hear that there is a lot of false pickups! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

People should call it by what it really is. Page 230 TAC-000. 

"The thermal cuer is not a hot spot tracker, but a delta T-cuer. Thus, when flying over a coast line or river, one could expect cuers along the beach or riverside where there is a large temperature difference. The thermal cuer does not incorporate any target recognition logic either; thus, any object which meets the preprogrammed target size, falls within the cuer capture gate, and has the required delta T for the TEMP sensitivity setting is a potentially ″cueable″ object. Cattle, trees, and rocks are often cued when not desired. Figure 1-103 provides some general guidance for use in determining TEMP settings. Mission requirements, EOTDA PAR’s, and pilot experience must all be considered in order to establish optimal TEMP settings."

What is a "hot spot tracker"? It is a system that will only, and only point out where are the hottest spots in the thermal image. It can not be configured, it can not be adjusted, it will do one thing and only one thing. 

What is the Thermal Cuer? It is a system that is programmed to point a wanted heat changes, wanted heat points sizes and wanted temperature value across all the temperature ranges there is visible and finally as well the area where the thermal is searched for. 

These configurable settings needs to be modeled once ED completes the new FLIR:

- Gain control (MAN or AUTO)

- Nudges (Auto Gate and Off-Set)

- Reject (to clear the HUD from symbols as VV, waterline etc)

- FLIR menu (FLMR) to program cuer function. 

- Temperature Sensitivity

- Capture Gate / Area of Regard

- Target Size

- Limit (already, 0/4/8)

- Black Hot/White Hot

We need those functions and capabilities to properly use and utilize it, to be responsible get authentic simulation of it. 

A hot spot is a problem for example a Maverick IR seeker that does not have these capabilities. It will try to lock on either hottest or coldest spot that it is pointed at by setting the polarity (white or black crosshair). It doesn't have the logic to ignore a unwanted thermal differences, sizes or positions between just going for coldest or hottest target it is pointed at. 

Edited by Fri13
  • Thanks 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Tbh its range should be higher at least for very hot objects "aircraft for example", they do render in the NVFLIR so why are there no V displayed over a hard limit of 5nm. I really was hoping for more depth to this system. but it's a good start for now. the false returns at the moment should not happen at random, as @Fri13 stated it has specific situations  and yes it will all depend on how ED does the FLIR system, but for now lower frequency of false return, longer range for Very hot objects like Aircraft or Aircraft in burners. would do nicely.  

Edited by sirscorpion