DCS 2.7 appreciation thread.

Mizzy

I did my first few flights today - and I'm blown away !

It is yaw-dropping beautiful.

Did the instant action missions for the F-5 in Syria. There is a light cloud layer and the sun is low on the horizon.

The clouds and in particular the way they spread and a distributed makes the sim look so much more real. Georgeous!

The Sidewinder occasionally locks onto the low sun when I'm flying into it.

Just great.

And then I took the Anton out over Calais on the channel map...

A heavy cloud cover with some small gaps (7/8 maybe).

It is beautiful how the light plays on the terrain when it comes through the clouds. This is close to photorealistic.

Flying is different too. When above the clouds I didn't want to just blindly decent into them, not knowing how deep the clouds go. 
Instead I instinctively waited for a gap in the clouds to make my decent with some terrain visible.

Performance has changed too.

I have an ATI 5700XT (probably the only ATI guy here) and was getting more or less 60fps in 2560x1440 with 2.5.

Those settings gave me some heavy stutters and fps fluctuating a lot in 2.7.

It's not that the fps didn't reach 60 anymore, but they were all over the place and that made flying pretty uncomfortable.

I reset all settings, deleted my shaders and reconfigured to 4k with the preset "High". That includes SSLR and SSOA set to "On" !

With these settings I only get 30fps but those 30fps are absolutely rock solid. No fluctuation whatsoever. Downtown Beriut, down in the trenches on the channel map, or high over the desert. The fps counter is 100% stuck on 30fps and there is absolutely no tearing or stuttering whatsoever. 
Frankly, the absense of any stutter and fluctuations makes the 30fps very, very playable for the style of playing that I do.

And DCS never looked that good on my computer.

Yes, it did crash once and once it went into the game unable to render the terrain at all - but that's what I expect from a first release of a new version.

In short: love it !
A job well done, ED !

Cheers,

Emacs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Emacs said:

I did my first few flights today - and I'm blown away !

It is yaw-dropping beautiful.

Did the instant action missions for the F-5 in Syria. There is a light cloud layer and the sun is low on the horizon.

The clouds and in particular the way they spread and a distributed makes the sim look so much more real. Georgeous!

The Sidewinder occasionally locks onto the low sun when I'm flying into it.

Just great.

And then I took the Anton out over Calais on the channel map...

A heavy cloud cover with some small gaps (7/8 maybe).

It is beautiful how the light plays on the terrain when it comes through the clouds. This is close to photorealistic.

Flying is different too. When above the clouds I didn't want to just blindly decent into them, not knowing how deep the clouds go. 
Instead I instinctively waited for a gap in the clouds to make my decent with some terrain visible.

Performance has changed too.

I have an ATI 5700XT (probably the only ATI guy here) and was getting more or less 60fps in 2560x1440 with 2.5.

Those settings gave me some heavy stutters and fps fluctuating a lot in 2.7.

It's not that the fps didn't reach 60 anymore, but they were all over the place and that made flying pretty uncomfortable.

I reset all settings, deleted my shaders and reconfigured to 4k with the preset "High". That includes SSLR and SSOA set to "On" !

With these settings I only get 30fps but those 30fps are absolutely rock solid. No fluctuation whatsoever. Downtown Beriut, down in the trenches on the channel map, or high over the desert. The fps counter is 100% stuck on 30fps and there is absolutely no tearing or stuttering whatsoever. 
Frankly, the absense of any stutter and fluctuations makes the 30fps very, very playable for the style of playing that I do.

Yes, it did crash once and once it went into the game unable to render the terrain at all - but that's what I expect from a first release of a new version.

In short: love it !
A job well done, ED !

Cheers,

Emacs

Now that's a good review. !!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Emacs said:

Sure, that you didn't just enabled vsync? FPS should change, unless they're bound to 60 or 30 by vsync...

Nevertheless: I share the experience of performance increases! 👍

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

7 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Sure, that you didn't just enabled vsync? FPS should change, unless they're bound to 60 or 30 by vsync...

Yep I have vsync on now.
Pretty sure I had it on before too.

But anyhow, I'm super-happy with the settings as they are.

4K with SSLR and SSOA, 8xAF, Texture, Terrain, Water, and Clouds on "high" and the new detailsFactor settings on "1", global  cockpit illumination is on too - it's a dream at 30fps.

I'm not going to touch those settings anytime soon.

It's so good, I probably have to take a day off work tomorrow 😉 

Edited by Emacs

My goodness! I know a few dozen words in Russian and a few hundred in English, so sorry for being too succint to do justice to this...

THANKS A METRIC TONNE, BOYS/GIRLS! This 2.7 thing is just fantastic! (And my mediocre GPU isn't burning yet... how strange!)
СПАСИБО БОЛЬШОЕ, МОЛОДЦЫ! :clap_2:

• Like 5

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

I too am enjoying 2.7. Flew for a few hours last night in my aircraft. No combat, just flying. Absolutely am loving the new props on the warbirds, and the new clouds! My favorite flight was setting broken clouds in a morning flight, and then taking my Viper up and flying in the cloud layers.

Even on this older gear (GTX 980 on a 1080P monitor) it looked amazing! Bravo Zulu ED!!!:clap_2::clap::cheer3nc::thumbsup:

• Like 2

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

THANK YOU ED for delivering 2.7, it's simply stunning. This is going a great year for DCS. I just built this new RTX 3090 rig in anticipation of 2.7 and couldn't be happier with the results.

IMG_2858.jpeg 

IMG_2862.JPEG

IMG_3022.JPG

• Like 7

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

Stellar, everything is better!

As I said in another thread. Hats off! Well done!

• Like 2

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

I've got to add my THANK YOU to the developers.  I know it's not finished and not perfect but I'm really impressed with how smoothly this upgrade went [for me] and how fantastic everything looks.  I thought the smoke and fire effects were good before but now they're memorizing.  Clouds and lighting are awesome.  My FPS in VR is unchanged if not better.

I know it was a ton of work and there's more to do so please know your efforts are appreciated.

• Like 1

ORIGINAL:  8088 4.77 Mhz  |  640kb RAM UPGRADE  |  TANDY 16-COLOR VIDEO  |  DUAL 5.25" FLOPPY DRIVES  |  13" VGA MONITOR  |  TANDY DELUXE JOYSTICK

CURRENT:  i5-12600k @ 5.0 Ghz  |  32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz  |  NVIDIA RTX 4090  |  3TB NVMe M.2 DRIVES  |  Pimax 8KX |  X56 RHINO HOTAS  |  VKB T-RUDDER Mk.IV  |  SIMSHAKER  |  VOICEATTACK w/VIACOM Pro

hell yeah. Load your fav tunes and go cloud surfing ...for now and get your spacetial D in check ...you gonna need it 🙂

• Like 1

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi Mizzy,

thank you for the kind words we are pleased you are enjoying DCS2.7, we hope you enjoy it with us for many more years to come, we have big plans for the future and it will keep getting better. 

and to everyone else who have given us feedback and appreciations thank you for your passion and support. 

No no, thank YOU. *Throws wallet*

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

When your whirly bird is up at 8,000 ft because clouds are very very nice.

20210415223941_1.jpg

20210415224028_1.jpg

20210415224038_1.jpg

20210415224237_1.jpg

20210415224655_1.jpg

I can't dogfight the p51 to save my life, but it sure looks good before I get shot down 😄

20210415204256_1.jpg20210415204529_1.jpg

Edited by Relic
  • Like 2

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I'm going to blow some well deserved smoke up some well deserving backsides, by saying congratulations so far on 2.7.

The clouds are utterly superb in VR, better in my opinion than MSFS 2020, and couple this with the far superior flight model and the whole experience in VR is just sublime.

Additionally, and I don't know if this has been intentional or not, but the shadows of the clouds on the landscape, has added a whole extra layer of beauty to the maps. Valleys look deeper and the sensation of altitude is more pronounced.

Well done ED on raising the bar on an already amazing sim....now fix the VR hand controllers ;D

• Like 1

Kit: i9 10900k, Rog Strix RTX 4090, Asus Rog strix Z490 Mobo, 64 GB, Varjo Aero HMD running Open VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster Pendular rudder peddles

MODS: Pretty much all of them

Going to add my two cents to this.  I've very much enjoyed and have been impressed by 2.7's release.  It's not perfect, but with a massive update like this I didn't expect it to be.  What I also didn't expect was how much of a difference and gamechanger this was.  I didn't think clouds were just eye candy, but I wasn't prepared for the scope of how major the change would be, even after flying MS2020.  The lighting, the new props, and most of all the performance increase are also stellar.  I can really see the hard work and love put into this patch.  

Not too get too fanboyish about this, but we're lucky to have ED out there pushing the boundaries of realism and keep pushing this game/sim to new heights.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, CaptJodan said:

Going to add my two cents to this.  I've very much enjoyed and have been impressed by 2.7's release.  It's not perfect, but with a massive update like this I didn't expect it to be.  What I also didn't expect was how much of a difference and gamechanger this was.  I didn't think clouds were just eye candy, but I wasn't prepared for the scope of how major the change would be, even after flying MS2020.  The lighting, the new props, and most of all the performance increase are also stellar.  I can really see the hard work and love put into this patch.  

Not too get too fanboyish about this, but we're lucky to have ED out there pushing the boundaries of realism and keep pushing this game/sim to new heights.  

Yes, I get this 'fanboy' crap just because I see this product for what it is and there is no other product in the marketplace like DCS to compare it to, NONE. I also get really pissed off with needles nit-picking where some just see negativity and nothing else plus they never consider their problems are user error or they didn't read the read me first !!

Mizzy 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, audiodistortion said:

Thanks, I have all the modules, and a few mods... A-29, F-22, VSN F-35 (which I use as AI)

🙂

Wow, have you tried the F105 and F104? if not, they are really good mods.

F105.jpg

• Like 1

As I said in another topic, it is another simulator. Clouds are the most striking, but lighting, water, explosion effects, etc., etc., etc. On top of that, a spectacular performance, the terrain is now fluid. Honestly, I don't know if I upgrade to another version. PS: I'm struggling with English.

20210414234837_1.jpg

20210416154141_1.jpg

20210416155303_1.jpg

20210416160406_1.jpg

20210416162342_1.jpg

20210416183228_1.jpg

• Like 4