DCS 2.7 - Radar performance drop issue is back

Althar93

I have just updated to the latest DCS 2.7 and been trying out the Mig21-bis. With the improved visuals & lighting the Mig's cockpit looks amazing. One small caveat. The performance issue that was previously plaguing the Radar seems to be back, with the same behaviour or chugging for a few frames, before picking up again.

Am I the only once with this issue?

• Like 1

I didnt notice anything during testing. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

The drop isn't half as bad as it used to be but it is there (dropping from 60FPS to ~25FPS).

My repro is to simply run the Freeflight instant action mission in Caucasus. I am sporting an RTX 2060 with the 465.89 Nvidia drivers (I just noticed there is a brand new driver out today so I'll try that).

I initially thought the clouds could be the culprit, but I can toggle the radar on/off and the framerate picks up straight away as a result.

Edited by Althar93

The fluctuation in performance can also be observed flying the 'Radar Operations' training mission, just set the SAU at the start of the flight & just watch as the frame time periodically takes a hit and the FPS drops before picking back up.

On my system, I'll observe those micro-stutters/chugging every 10-20 seconds or so, dropping down to 25-40FPS (as I wrote above it is nowhere near as bad as it used to be but it is still rather distracting when it happens). On the other hand for the exact same section, if I leave the radar off my FPS is a rock solid 60FPS with no deviations in the frame time or noticeable stuttering.

Noticed this yesterday. It's not as bad as before,  and it takes a few seconds to kick in, But if you point the nose at the ground, mountains or hills over 5-10 seconds time frame you will get a 10-30 fps drop, which goes away when you turn off the radar, or put it in beam mode, so it's caused by ground clutter. New drivers didn't help. Even if the cluttter dosen't show on screen

Edited by CrazyGman

I wonder why this problem is so pervasive on the MiG-21 compared to the F-14, which has a more detailed depiction of ground clutter compared to the MiG-21.

But FWIW I'm not seeing a noticeable drop, though haven't done much in the way of testing.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Me neither. I conducted tests along with a few guys and none of us saw any difference. Will try changing some settings to see if it makes difference. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

On 4/17/2021 at 12:33 PM, Skysurfer said:

With radar on, heavy clouds and low level I maybe see like a 5fps drop at most, nothing compared to the frame-collapse we had in the past. 

radar needs to be pointed at the ground, or at terrain, and you need to wait 5 to 10 seconds and have it in search mode

On 4/17/2021 at 12:23 PM, Hiromachi said:

Me neither. I conducted tests along with a few guys and none of us saw any difference. Will try changing some settings to see if it makes difference. 

you need to wait about 5 to 10 seconds in search mode for it to kick in. and make sure there is terrain in the way, or the nose is pointed at the ground. Here are my current settings, running the latest NVidia drivers on a 1080ti with 9700k processor on 32 gigs of ram at 3200

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.04.18 - 20.18.10.80.png

39 minutes ago, rossmum said:

I'll try to remember to test this out later, but so far haven't noticed it, and I'm a pretty prolific radar user. I do have a much better system than I did previously, though, so maybe that's factoring into it.

I'll have to, as well. I'm not seeing it, yet.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

• 2 weeks later...

Since my original post I have updated my drivers to 466.27 as well as completely reviewed my graphical settings. I did a bit more testing of 2.7 with other modules and noticed my framerate was also rather inconsistent (not to the same degree but it did used to be pretty stable prior to 2.7) and came to the conclusion this was due to my vsync settings (which worked just fine prior to 2.7).

Long story short, I went through my graphical settings from scratch, disabled vsync in game and enabled it from the Nvidia control panel as 'Fast' (which essentially is a non-capped vsync where frames in excess of the refresh rate are ditched which prevents any kind of tearing) and with my frame limit set to just above my refresh rate (in my case 61FPS for my 60Hz ultrawide). If I have my frame limit set to my refresh rate or below (like you would if you when running with Gsync enabled, which was also causing issues for me) then performance is all over the place for me.

Ever since I have had very stable performance & can no longer measure any fluctuations in performance from using the radar in the Mig21. For whoever else is experiencing issues, perhaps try disabling or tinkering with your vsync settings. Without knowning anything about the specifics of how DCS does its rendering or the radar in the Mig for that matter all I can think of is a stall can occasionally occur as a result of having the radar enabled, long enough to throw the frame pacing off which can become a problem when 'strict' vsync is enabled.

Edited by Althar93

I noticed it when pointing the radar to a area which is full of units. I am talking like 10+ units. But I do not know if it is influenced by ground units also. 

Edited by Arikaj

I am seeing this happen again too. I have just installed a 3070 and was running a 1070. When the issue was previously happening it seemed to mostly be a result of ground clutter. When this happened my GPU usage would drop from ~90-100% down to 20-40%, thus causing a big loss in FPS. This is happening again on my 3070 with up to date drivers. If you are high enough to not experience ground clutter, the impact is negligible.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the issue had gone away, it hasn't - my performance in DCS is much better than it ever was but under the right (wrong?) condtions, the radar on the Mig21 definitely still takes a big chunk out of the frametime. I have been experiencing rather large stalls/performance hits in multiplayer games, with the framerate struggling to be interactive, only to jump all the way back up to 60FPS+ as soon as I turn the radar off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/23/2021 at 12:03 PM, Marduk879 said:

I was testing this today and i found out that this radar perfomance drop is only happening for me when the MSAA is set to 2x, while MSAA 4x this bug never happened.

Very strage!

Bug still happens even at 4x msaa. The bug has never really gone away, it was improved and now it takes several seconds of pointing the radar at ground clutter, but it will drop from 80fps to 30 and then go back up to 80 immediately if the radar is turned off

Edited by CrazyGman