Dedicated server 2.7: Always same mission launched

reptile92

I got a strange behaviour on my dedicated server. Whichever mission I choose in the list, it is the "mission 1" (according to the numbering of mission list in optionsServer.lua) that is launched. (Look at the current mission on server details, and the one which is tagged as running in the server list...)

If I modify myself the [1] mission in the list, to change the mission, the behaviour is the same.

I cannot either remove line in the mission list. I can only add...

image.png

I have fully reinstall the server, including the saved games, top start with a clean setup -> same behaviour.

Everything was OK in last OB.

• Thanks 1

I am having the exact same issue! I was just going to start a thread until I saw yours. 

When hosting my own dedicated server, I cannot change missions. It will basically default to one mission in my mission list and cannot be changed or deleted. I can start any of my other missions and it will show running new mission but on the client side it still shows and loads into the “defaulted” mission (not the indicated mission). 

The only walk-around I have found is to delete the contents of my “saved games” folder and treat the server like it is fresh but the issue will still persist after a shutdown and restart. 

@BIGNEWY told me that the ["current"] field in the serverSettings.lua had to be replaced with ["listStartIndex"] 

Hope it helps, worked for me.

• Thanks 1

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

I encountered a problem that may be linked. 

Just a headsup in case you have the same issue.

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

I confirm. the tips is ok at server start. The server load the mission having "listStartIndex" as index. But then same behaviour...

@BIGNEWY , could you confirm this a a bug or if there is a know workaround or solution?

The only workaround I've found is stopping the server, edit the serverSettings.lua to modify the current or listStartIndex line, and restart the server. Not very useful..

I had this in 2.5.5 once or twice. The server always loaded the second mission in the list.
(I cannot remember if it was maybe the first/last in alphabetical order or whatever unique feature.)
I normally run only one or two missions in endless loop so I didn't pay attention to it.
It also seem fixed in 2.5.6 - whenever I put a second mission in and restarted it always loaded the first in list with loop settings enabled.
(Again might be happy coincidence with some ordering whatsoever)

This is probably related to this:

Edited by Eld0r

[ ]  twitch.tv/eld0r — Chaos, dumme Sprüche, Chaos und keine Wiederholungen.  [ ]

@davidp57, I tried changing the .lua file and it worked for the first server boot.  After that, I am noticing that it will auto select the 2nd mission in the list and then only load that mission. The "listStartIndex" no longer works. To walk around this, I have been editing the .lua and deleting out all the "missionlist" names before re-loading the server and then manually loading the mission I wanted to host from the gui.

Did it ? it wasn't solved on my servers....

Wonder what I have to do...

I am seeing the same issues on my servers.  One other problem, which I think maybe related, is that the RESUME ON functions often reverts to RESUME ON MANUAL even with the RESUME ON CLIENT set in the serverSetting.lua.  The only way I have been able to change mission is to edit the [missionList] to have only one mission.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

On 4/22/2021 at 8:21 PM, reptile92 said:

Solve with last OB 👍

Yes, it is fixed on my Dedicated OpenBeta 2.7.0.5118 as well: The mission labeled "Now running" and the server data show the same mission now.

On 4/22/2021 at 10:14 PM, davidp57 said:

Did it ? it wasn't solved on my servers.... (...) Wonder what I have to do...

When I restart my dedicated server it always starts with the second mission in the list. - not a big deal tho...

On 4/23/2021 at 6:29 PM, TWC_Alamo said:

(...) RESUME ON functions often reverts to RESUME ON MANUAL even with the RESUME ON CLIENT set in the serverSetting.lua. (...)

This is a display bug. I can confirm this:
If you choose "Resume with clients" press okay and restart the server config it is set correctly! But when you double check the value in Advanced Options it always shows "Resume manual". The auto pause function is working correct - only the web interface read it wrong.

Edited by Eld0r

[ ]  twitch.tv/eld0r — Chaos, dumme Sprüche, Chaos und keine Wiederholungen.  [ ]

Well, I don't know what happened in a week, but since my last post it seems to have been somehow corrected.

• no update applied (DCS 2.7.0.5118 was already installed last Thursday)
  • no change in configuration
  • no reboot of the Windows machine
  • lots and lots of server restarts (they restart approx. every 4-8 hours)

Now that I think about it, we don't use the local webgui, but instead the one available on ED website.

Could it be possible that something was changed there, a few days after patch 2.7.0.5118 which fixed it locally ?

@BIGNEWY, I think you can consider it solved.

It's still does not work as intended on the stable branch so it's not solved in 2.5

Capture.JPG

The problem clearly come from their main server.

Whatever I try to run, the information is not send correctly to their platform so the mission does not change.

Prior of the released of the 2.7, the web gui worked correctly.

Edited by Papanowel

I think that ED made some changes to the webgui page, to support 2.7, and that maybe these changes, while correcting the error I had on 2.7, broke the compatibility with 2.5.6

Just an educated guess.

For me the problem still exists (all the time) - with OS, DCS and drivers up to date. It can be overcome by playing the lottery and loading different (seemingly random) missions until you get the desired outcome.

I also edited the .lua at some point, mostly because some .miz-files could not be deleted otherwise, but that won´t help if you ever want to load a different mission or have to restart the server / mission.

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2021 at 7:41 PM, USAF-Falcon87 said:

SEEMS to have been fixed in 5 May patch.  🙂

I was incorrect.  There are still at least three problems with this (at least on my server):

1) The mission displayed as "Now Running" in the "List of Missions" section always incorrect.  Regardless of which mission in the list is running, the mission above it in the "List of Missions" is always shown as "Now Running." (Correct mission is shown in top pane).

2) When you press the "Run" button next to a mission in the "List of Missions", the mission ABOVE that runs. 

3) If you highlight a mission and choose to trash/delete that mission, the mission ABOVE the one you chose is actually deleted.  This results in an additional problem, in that you can't delete the last mission on the list, since you can't pick a mission below the bottom mission.  

I have replaced the "[current]" parameter in serverSettings.lua with "[listStartIndex]" as described above, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Any ideas before I nuke and pave?

Thanks,

Ric

wrong mission.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am still having this issue, even after the update today.  No matter which mission I select in the GUI to run, the mission initially loaded will run (the GUI changes for a second as if it is going to load the new mission, but never does and even though it says Running on the new mission, at the top is says it is still running the mission it loaded with.  players connecting can confirm it is the old mission, not the mission that was selected to run.  Rarely, I can clock on a mission and it will load what seems a random mission from the list, not necessarilly the one I selected.  Did a repair Monday after that update (not sure when it was released, but checked last Wed) and still not working properly.  We always use the web GUI on the machine the server is running on.

EDIT: in order to get the mission we want, i have to remove all from the list and select one at a time.  This behavior started 3-4 weeks or so ago.

Edited by hlfritz

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone not have a fix for this?  Is it due to carrying an old config file forward to new versions?  something?  This is extremely annoying and painful when trying to run a server.

I have tried manual edits to the config file for missions list, editing within the local web gui (which does update the config file correctly).  the only thing that allows one to change the mission is stopping the server, editing the mission list to have only the mission you want to run, then restarting the server.