MASSIVE fps drop after update to 2.7

27 minutes ago, Snakedoc said:

Same here, noticeable with a 3090. 

F-18C Free flight in Syria (with new clouds) I get around 60-70fps while before it was around 90 (all settings maxed out, res is 1440p widescreen)

Huh, I have 3090 all Ultra getting 100fps on F-18C free flight Syria. 1440p

Edited by BioZ

Same here. -25 FPS for me in average. Terrible stutters when rotating head. Also terrible loading times. Clouds seem fine and they don’t influence performance at all on my side. 
I deleted fxo and metashaders folders with no joy. 

Edited by Rmnsvn

I, too, am getting a massive performance hit. However, the clouds are not causing it because I flew in and around them with no issues.

From what I observed I got the biggest hits looking at the exterior of other aircraft. It was predictable and repeatable. Every time I looked at another aircraft my FPS would drop like a rock. Turn away from them and the FPS went back up.

Smoke is a big hit on performance too, but that's nothing new.

9 minutes ago, BioZ said:

Huh, I have 3090 all Ultra getting 100fps on F-18C free flight Syria. 1440p

Interesting. 

Which nvidia drivers are you using? I updated mine today just before DCS 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

I'm running a Quest 2 (set on PD 1.4 or 1.5 I believe via Oculus Home), 2070 Super, Intel 10700F and 32 Gb RAM. On the Syria map with VR Ultra, Global illumination on, default ground shadows, clouds on high, zero traffic, MSAA off (or 2x..Can't remember) and water on low, I get a consistent 36-40 FPS (per eye), zero stuttering. Extremely flyable, and everything very crisp and readable in my Hornet.

I'm not sure what people with better systems than me are doing to get these massive drops.. Have you repaired your install before updating? Deleted both FXO and MetaShader 2.0 folder? Have you tried running the VRShaders Mod? If running the mod did you delete the previous folders and let DCS rebuild them after?

Seems a little weird..

i don't upgrade my nvidia driver for old gen cg

the news driver are for the new gen and im sure they kill the perf to push the slave to upgrade their hardware, test with a lot of game with my gtx1070 and since some years i don't upgrade my driver and all is good.

Mostly of the poor gain in the driver description....for each version 20% perf gain....lol

with time, my cg should be 500% better...

let Eagle Dynamics working on the optimization

thank you ED for your work!!!!

(sorry for my english, it's not lack of respect)

Edited by Crouz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cab said:

From what I observed I got the biggest hits looking at the exterior of other aircraft. It was predictable and repeatable. Every time I looked at another aircraft my FPS would drop like a rock. Turn away from them and the FPS went back up.

LoD issue, maybe?

@Crouz

That's... not how that works. By all means, if a driver is stable, all fine. The driver updates are usually related to optimisations for specific games, typically where something is lagging considerably more than it should. That 20% you mention will not typically be ''across the board'' but rather for a specific game, sometimes even for a specific CPU/GPU that was having issues. So no, your GPU will not be +300%, nor is Nvidia or anybody else making that claim.

The old wives tale about drivers degrading GPUs has been disproven repeatedly by every tech site/tech reviewer out there. Launch day compared to ''several years down the line'' benchmarks are typically either identical or even slightly faster. Now, if you're a sloppy overclocker, overheat your silicon and cause it to degrade, that's a different matter, but provided the device hasn't suffered mistreatment, they don't ''degrade''.

Edited by Mars Exulte
  • Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

8 minutes ago, Mars Exulte said:

The old wives tale about drivers degrading GPUs has been disproven repeatedly by every tech site/tech reviewer out there.

Not really, I've tested with few games and it turned out to be true.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

Yeah seeing a decent drop here. All standard things like FXO done. Mine is weird since its FAR worse on line, my frametimes are in the mid20's at times online. Offline more like teens, but I lost 10-20fps offline and like 30+ online. 

9700k 5ghz and 3090... the issue seems to be a major increase in cpu frame times. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

36 minutes ago, Mars Exulte said:

LoD issue, maybe?

Level of detail?

Unfortunately, no. I got those results out of the gate with the same settings I had in 2.5.6. I even set the default Low settings with no change. 

For reference I have: 5600X, 64GB, 6700XT, Reverb G2. SteamVR resolution is 38%/100%. DCS PD is 1.0

Everything is smooth with about 15ms frame time until I look at other aircraft, when it can go as high as 50ms. I even experience it if I look at aircraft with the F11 key. 

6 hours ago, =4c=Nikola said:

i5-3570k @4.5GHz, GTX970, 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz, 1440p 16:9 display.

~30% fps decrease consistent between all modules.

Same conditions

Same graphic settings (clouds at STANDARD 2.7).

You have an ancient GTX 970 that's why lol

I guess I can safely assume that this update will basically brick my 1060. Which is what I was expecting. I wish it was possible to upgrade my system, but apparently the 3000 series cards will forever be unobtanium. I wish I hadn’t listened to everyone in December 2019 telling me not to buy the 2080 super and hold out for the 3000 series cards. 🤬🤬🤬

20 minutes ago, Teleblaster said:

I wish I hadn’t listened to everyone in December 2019 telling me not to buy the 2080 super and hold out for the 3000 series cards. 🤬🤬🤬

Yeah, that ended up being a poor choice. I helped my brother build a new rig with 3600x and 5700XT at msrp... a few months later his card was going for $800-1000. Crazy stuff, yo.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

version DCS 2.5.6.61527.3 Open Beta - 170-180 FPS in simple scene (A10CII, ramp, cold, no move of head)

same scene, same mission, same settings after upgrade to DCS 2.7.0.4625 Open Beta - 110-120 FPS 😞 

IS problem for VR flying. 110 FPS in simple scene is too low 😞 (trying change settings, noth help).

gear

Rayzen 5800

Radeon 6900XT

32 GB 3733Mhz.

resize bar ON

i was pleasantly surprised my old rig performance was  not bad single player just  flying around, did notice MP needs a lot work in adjustment.  memory  ate up.

2 minutes ago, Mars Exulte said:

Yeah, that ended up being a poor choice. I helped my brother build a new rig with 3600x and 5700XT at msrp... a few months later his card was going for $800-1000. Crazy stuff, yo.

yea because of world wide chip shortage apparently. car production has dropped.

2 minutes ago, Dovivan said:

version DCS 2.5.6.61527.3 Open Beta - 170-180 FPS in simple scene (A10CII, ramp, cold, no move of head)

same scene, same mission, same settings after upgrade to DCS 2.7.0.4625 Open Beta - 110-120 FPS 😞 

IS problem for VR flying. 110 FPS in simple scene is too low 😞 (trying change settings, noth help).

gear

Rayzen 5800

Radeon 6900XT

32 GB 3733Mhz.

resize bar ON

"110 FPS"

>Too low

Don't worry, soon we'll be getting Vulkan and it will improve for you.

Edited by IcedVenom

5 minutes ago, IcedVenom said:

"110 FPS"

>Too low

Don't worry, soon we'll be getting Vulkan and it will improve for you.

thi is a problem in game.. it is not clouds. Something is vrong. Waiting for end of year is no solution for me. 

4 hours ago, Spetz said:

I'm running a Quest 2 (set on PD 1.4 or 1.5 I believe via Oculus Home), 2070 Super, Intel 10700F and 32 Gb RAM. On the Syria map with VR Ultra, Global illumination on, default ground shadows, clouds on high, zero traffic, MSAA off (or 2x..Can't remember) and water on low, I get a consistent 36-40 FPS (per eye), zero stuttering. Extremely flyable, and everything very crisp and readable in my Hornet.

I'm not sure what people with better systems than me are doing to get these massive drops.. Have you repaired your install before updating? Deleted both FXO and MetaShader 2.0 folder? Have you tried running the VRShaders Mod? If running the mod did you delete the previous folders and let DCS rebuild them after?

Seems a little weird..

Thanks for posting. If possible could you (and anyone else NOT having performance issues) give us a full comprehensive listing of all your settings please both in DCS plus in NVidia Control Panel?

What I would like to see come out of this thread is narrowing down either which settings, or which scenario's are causing the FPS hit. Not only could that help the rest to change the settings that have the most impact, but may also help ED narrow down if there's some code that can be optimized in a particular area too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BioZ said:

Have not update my driver for a month now 

image.png

I'll try to rollback my driver to that build and I'll report back 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

50 minutes ago, Dovivan said:

This is a problem in game.. it is not clouds. Something is wrong. Waiting for end of year is no solution for me. 

same, I have a HP Reverb g2 and 3090 and it is no longer smooth even with clouds off and scene and texture settings to 0.1

zprwsp-6.png

Gentlemen, I don’t know if you had a chance to notice, but the lightning in the game has been significantly improved. Terrain, cockpit everything now has more complex and realistic litning. It looks more like new MSFS2020. That’s why we’re paying such an expensive performance fee for this. I’ve lost my smooth experience flying low over the Syria map with my 3090 and HP Reverb. Hope new VR shaders when available for 2,7 will save us). BTW the Syria map itself has much more details in this version as well. But the performance drop is also visible even on Caucasus map. May be developers should leave an option to switch this new beautiful lightning off? 

Edited by Maksim Savelev

Gentlemen, I don’t know if you had a chance to notice, but the lightning in the game has been significantly improved. Terrain, cockpit everything now has more complex and realistic litning. It looks more like new MSFS2020. That’s why we’re paying such an expensive performance fee for this. I’ve lost my smooth experience flying low over the Syria map with my 3090 and HP Reverb. Hope new VR shaders when available for 2,7 will save us). BTW the Syria map itself has much more details in this version as well. But the performance drop is also visible even on Caucasus map. May be developers should leave an option to switch this new beautiful lightning off?