MASSIVE fps drop after update to 2.7

6 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Heads up guys. Not sure if its your issue but I was on the "latest"  drivers

466.11 bad (50% higher gpu frame time) 15ms gpu frame times

461.72 (old feb driver) works fine, back to high fps... 9-10ms frame times...

Nice one! I'll try to roll back on 461.72 to see if I can also have some improvements.

Did you notice any changes when playing non-VR? 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

19 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Heads up guys. Not sure if its your issue but I was on the "latest"  drivers

466.11 bad (50% higher gpu frame time) 15ms gpu frame times

461.72 (old feb driver) works fine, back to high fps... 9-10ms frame times...

Awesome finding this is indeed much smoother in VR with 461.72! The strange is is that the 2.5.6 was good with 466.11 vut DCS probably interract differently with the driver now.

1 hour ago, Hoirtel said:

+1 BN 

Performance is increased in 2.7 no doubt. I would expect people with poor PC maintenance skills with excess processes/services are seeing new impacts due to a rework of DCS core. PC's are not consoles. They need constant work to keep them at their best. I bet 2.7 would run great for you on a clean windows install....

This also proves that next time you can keep your condesending comments about PC maintenance.

• Like 1

Following BN's advice, updated NV drivers to latest ones today, same with Reshade (I only use it for SMAA and bigger fps display), also, apart from obvious fxo and metashaders purging I dumped the old options.lua and had redone all settings. Disabled mods, did repair. All that gave me an increase of... 1 (one) fps on average, 2 in some glorious situations :D.

That being said, tried what was said in the other thread and I can confirm something FUBAR's going on with how 2.7 works with V-Sync and Full-Screen option (as has often been the case in post 2.2-era... sigh...). Testing again in TF-51 Batumi hot-start instant mission, Full Screen option always turned ON, and looking to the right towards hangars and trees immediately after spawning:

a) In-game V-Sync ON, driver V-Sync ON or adaptive - fps starts at 60 but quickly plummets down through 40s into 30s - that's the big performance drop I reported yesterday. One could say two V-Syncs shouldn't be needed, but It didn't work that way in 2.5.6;

b) In-game V-Sync OFF, driver V-Sync ON or adaptive - fps stays at 60 most of the time (yay, I guess), drops occasionally to high 50s with screen tearing - well, that's a big improvement at last. I could even enable some scenery mods again, though I'll still have to turn down some 2.5.6-proven gfx settings to avoid getting below minimum 60. Means the performance drop is still there, though not as bad as in a) case;

c) In-game V-Sync ON, driver V-Sync OFF - fps all over the place, from 50s to 80s, screen tearing - clearly the game doesn't launch in Full Screen mode but borderless windowed. Alt-Entering back and forth makes the game even more confused, with V-Sync activating or not without a clear rule...

I'll have to settle on b) and try to tweak more from there.

• Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

1 hour ago, Hoirtel said:

+1 BN 

Performance is increased in 2.7 no doubt. I would expect people with poor PC maintenance skills with excess processes/services are seeing new impacts due to a rework of DCS core. PC's are not consoles. They need constant work to keep them at their best. I bet 2.7 would run great for you on a clean windows install....

Again only looking on client side "mistakes".

So we should now do clean install after every game update?

Before Update:  "unclean" windows = 92 fps, after update same "unclean" windows = 67. I heavy doubt clean install bring any! But unclean windows is the problem... sure....

"since the 2.7 patch we have had overwhelming feedback about good performance. "

From who? Youtubers with all high end rig?

Tell the hardware from that people. Sounds like it will come more from people with "new" hardware. Ofc they will not see much impact.

For me it sounds like optimization goes only for "newer" hardware and not for "older". This forcing people to buy also new hardware. 

But i understand that its more easy to optimize for good/new hardware. Also not so much time needed as it would be if optimize too for older stuff.

Enough people have complained, so its clear to me that there was not enough optimization in process before update.

Again not pointing all fingers to client side pls. I think nobody complained here before the update i read more like people was happy with the performance on there settings before.

And guys, dont tell people again roll back the update or your GPU is the problem what i read mutiple times here. That is not the point and we start spinning in circles...

AGAIN before it was just fine.

Let we ED work on it to bring performance back, BUT DO IT pls and not only look on client side like lower settings.. thx

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Yeah, I have seen this too. With a 3090 and 9700k@5. I mean I got decent frame rates in 2.5, but GPU utilization was like 40-50%, now it appears to be much higher ~95%, and I have frame rate issues... So clearly something is different, and it isn't the clouds. 

I do have same experience with 2.7 so far. 9700k with 6900xt cannot maintain steady 45fps in VR (G2) in my case. The GPU utilization is around 98%, where the CPU is only 10%. A lot of drops in fps to 41. The frame time I’m gettting now is around 18ms where it was 9ms before. 2.7 update reminds of 2.5 when arrived some time ago...

Edited by yogipol

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

38 minutes ago, =4c=Nikola said:

Interesting. I've installed 466.11 today and lost only 2 frames compared to an old one (cannot remember version number, but it was not 461.72). I will try 461.72. Not too optimistic though, they usually tweak them for newest hardware. For old hardware it might be the best to keep old drivers.

Not older hardware, unless a 3090 is "old"

Well, here is my saga... And it frankly doesn't make sense.

Get DCS yesterday and Test (was on "older" driver, not sure which one, maybe 461.72 or the one after) Frames kinda suck relative to previous offline. I.e. the aforementioned drop from 10ms to 15ms.

Update driver to see if its the issue. Nope, new driver is the same or worse. Test online, terrible frame rates, but thats like CPU frame related.

Check logfile, see a bunch of DX11 errors relating to shaders and clouds

Today, did repair, it found 600 files wrong (maybe skinpacks? IDK) 

Retest offline, nope still sucky 15ms frametimes in tf51/tiblisi

Check logfile, errors still there.

Start turning off settings, steam had been bumped up a bit from 2100x to 2700x, so turned that back down

Nope frametimes still suck...

Turn off the dynamic cockpit lighting... Hey got 1-2ms back... 

Check clouds... No change from hi-low...

Out of desperation revert to oold driver...

Boom, frametimes back to 10ms... 

Test online, well its certainly better than it was, but CPU frametime is still a bit high.

4 minutes ago, yogipol said:

I do have same experience with 2.7 so far. 9700k with 6900xt cannot maintain steady 45fps in VR (G2) in my case. The GPU utilization is around 98%, where the CPU is only 10%. A lot of drops in fps to 41. The frame time I’m gettting now is around 18ms where it was 9ms before. 2.7 update reminds of 2.5 when arrived some time ago...

Maybe try the older driver... 

27 minutes ago, Charly314159 said:

Awesome finding this is indeed much smoother in VR with 461.72! The strange is is that the 2.5.6 was good with 466.11 vut DCS probably interract differently with the driver now.

Glad it worked for you. And that I'm not totally insane for suggesting it. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

4 minutes ago, -Relax- said:

Again only looking on client side "mistakes".

So we should now do clean install after every game update?

Before Update:  "unclean" windows = 92 fps, after update same "unclean" windows = 67. I heavy doubt clean install bring any! But unclean windows is the problem... sure....

"since the 2.7 patch we have had overwhelming feedback about good performance. "

From who? Youtubers with all high end rig?

Tell the hardware from that people. Sounds like it will come more from people with "new" hardware. Ofc they will not see much impact.

For me it sounds like optimization goes only for "newer" hardware and not for "older". This forcing people to buy also new hardware. 

But i understand that its more easy to optimize for good/new hardware. Also not so much time needed as it would be if optimize too for older stuff.

Enough people have complained, so its clear to me that there was not enough optimization in process before update.

Again not pointing all fingers to client side pls. I think nobody complained here before the update i read more like people was happy with the performance on there settings before.

And guys, dont tell people again roll back the update or your GPU is the problem what i read mutiple times here. That is not the point and we start spinning in circles...

AGAIN before it was just fine.

Let we ED work on it to bring performance back, BUT DO IT pls and not only look on client side like lower settings.. thx

Yeah you are right. Let's all ignore any new hardware and ensure that DCS only ever runs on old hardware.

2 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Yeah you are right. Let's all ignore any new hardware and ensure that DCS only ever runs on old hardware.

Wow how old are you? Where i have made a point to no optimize new hardware anymore? Ridiculous. You cleary not get the point!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Snakedoc said:

Nice one! I'll try to roll back on 461.72 to see if I can also have some improvements.

Did you notice any changes when playing non-VR? 

I don't play non-vr sorry. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

5 minutes ago, -Relax- said:

Wow how old are you? Where i have made a point to no optimize new hardware anymore? Ridiculous. You cleary not get the point!

For me it sounds like optimization goes only for "newer" hardware and not for "older". This forcing people to buy also new hardware

Yeah what is wrong with that? I am not saying anywhere to not optimize new hardware anymore!

but you say "Yeah you are right. Let's all ignore any new hardware and ensure that DCS only ever runs on old hardware"

??????

again Ridiculous

5 minutes ago, -Relax- said:

Yeah what is wrong with that? I am not saying anywhere to not optimize new hardware anymore!

but you say "Yeah you are right. Let's all ignore any new hardware and ensure that DCS only ever runs on old hardware"

??????

again Ridiculous

Don't try to argue, this guy has too much PC maintenance skills for us mere mortals

• Like 1

GPU.png

Untitled.png

4.PNG

And my DCS Log.

With these setting I'm getting a constant 45 FPS per eye, high and low. Edit ** And before I upgraded, I removed all OvGME mods, deleted FXO and Metashaders 2, repaired via DCSUpdater. Hope it helps..

Oh, and one thing I noticed. At least on my PC.. MSAA on in game, most textures do not load. No land, almost black cockpit etc. Turn it off and it's good to go. Weird..

dcs.log

Edited by Spetz

It looks to me like my FPS/frametime hits are occurring when looking at other aircraft in both VR and 2D. This happened everywhere I went in the Caucasus map, both single and multiplayer. I haven’t spent any time in the other maps since the upgrade.

What I found interesting in the video I included below was when my frametimes spike, GPU utilization drops. And the GPU and CPU are never close to being 100%

System Specs: 5600X, X570, 64GB RAM, 6700XT, Reverb G2

Removed all mods

Windows 10 verified up-to-date

Display drivers verified up-to-date

AMD software settings are default

Screenshots for DCS System and VR system, DCS log, and Track all attached below

I also included a video of the monitor I made with my phone demonstrating what I saw on fpsVR  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F89VyvKX_M7kc8gdZkRc6p6PQy4bw7Xk/view?usp=sharing

system settings.png

VR settings.png

2.7 performance drops dcs.log

Edited by Cab

So i will try unstall the game,and see if there is an improvement

通过我的 V1955A 上的 Tapatalk发言

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

Using a rig of AMD5900x and RTX3090  I found out that in VR  DCS 2.7 is utilizing a lot of CPU(comparing to 2.5.6)and a lot of stutters and frame drops just disappeared, and it’s a good sign. And as developers say the performance is really smooth even over dense cities, BUT when you’re looking just straight ahead! When you’re trying to look on aside it becomes a terrible mess, FPS drops below 45 in VR causing unplayable experience. Of course it was a difficult test for 2.5.6 version as well , but with the same graphics settings I could get away with 45fps in most of scenarios. The only problem map was the Channel. In 2.7 almost every village or forest in every map can drop you below 45 during low pass when you’re looking over the wing.  Doesn’t it mean that something is different now performance wise? Rig is same, setting are the same, I’ve done the “magic” with the Saved Games folder. Any other options to get happy low passes back:)?

Forgot to mention, that for me CPUms became better in 2.7 along with better CPU utilization, 

Edited by Maksim Savelev
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, zerO_crash said:

Haha, I had to repair the install, and indeed it improved my framerate on Caucasus as well. The other maps were great from the start, but it was Caucasus that could cause small jitters, that is mostly gone now. I guess the little that remains, has to do with the optimisation of the map 😎

I also got frame drops on Caucasus, and it's pretty weird because I get lower frames in the air than on the airport. I say lower frames I mean sometimes the frames will drop for some reason and I was not near or looking a crowded area. Also the overall frames on Caucasus is much lower than 2.5.6. I have already tried deleting the saved games folder for DCS and didn't notice any improvement. I will try to repair and install (I'm on steam so verify game files I guess). Hope it works. 

Also I just don't get why some people are reporting better frames in 2.7, all I experience is lower fps (not much but definitely about 15-20 fps loss) than 2.5.6, before the update game is super smooth on all maps, but now the game performance is not as good as before. Also, I don't think the new cloud is causing the performance issue, when I look at the clouds my FPS is ok and equal to 2.5.6, but looking at the terrain, worse FPS than previous open beta. 

My Spec:

GTX 1080

i7 7700k

32 GB RAM

Playing on 1080p, all effects high, MSAAx2, Terrain shadow FLAT, Vsync off, SSAA, SSLR, SSAO all off

For what its worth, I saw little to no change in VR (maybe a bit smoother), but single screen and dual (two viewports) took a nosedive with about 30-40% loss.

- i5-4670K, 32Gb, GTX 1070 (v461.40), CV1 (PD 1.0 with 2xMSAA), 1440p (and 2560x2520 for dual).

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

i7-4790 RTX2060 6GB with 16GB RAM here

I would say that with identical settings, I am getting more or less the same framerate in 2.7 as I did previously, which is to say around 40-60FPS between the worst case scenario (multiplayer, on the ground in crowded areas) and best case scenario (single player, in the air). I wouldn't mind further optimisations as a higher framerate is always nice but overall the game / update runs pretty well given all of the visual additions & clouds.

Latest nVidia drivers are recommended or not? (I'm just one step behind latest driver I think) It is worth the update, keep or downgrade the driver?

Installed 2.7, cleaned out shaders/fxo, same campaign mission, starting from the ramp, before I had about 30-40fps , now I've got 25 fps at max and it's pretty unplayable.

i7-8700k auto OC, RTX3070 8GB light OC, 1440p , mid to high settings, pretty clean windows and everything

Edited by 1987kess
Typo

I'm also having performance issues with 2.7. in VR (Rift-S).

What helped me quite a bit was switching from Steam VR to Opencomposite and Oculus Tool Tray. OTT Default ASW Mode set to 18Hz. That may seems to be a very low frequency setting, but fps appears to be MUCH smoother now. Any Rift/Rift-S may want to give it a shot. 

I also use an older Nvidia driver 457.30,which is said to perform well with DCS:

NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL

My spec:

i7-8700 RTX2060 32GB Ram

Edited by Gretsch_Man
Typo correction