MASSIVE fps drop after update to 2.7

HI,

I have the impression that there are memory leaks or that sort of thing, with a degradation of performance progressively, that ends with an unplayable game or crash, even when changing missions ,planes, or map (after going back to the menu). Very strange . Do you encounter this type of problem?

Maybe it's just me but i had no problem before

Thanks a lot 

Kr

I9 9900k , 32 Go , Oculus quest 2 , 2080 RTX

On 4/20/2021 at 9:25 PM, Furiz said:

I've noticed that in F-16 or F-18 when I use TGP on one of my screens my FPS drops by 20+, when I use the other display for Maverick it goes down by another 20+ so it sums up to around 50 FPS drop when using both displays for camera, this didn't happen to me in 2.5.

Same stuff was happening with hornet few months ago when SA page was displayed.

This used to happen on the A10 mfds,  when first came onto the scene . Also fps drops when using clusters  .

And that was years ago . But now its kind of fixed . it just needs tweaking by Devs . 

2.7 has had a big update . New lighting , new textures ,new clouds ect . 

I too frustrated at first but now I've calmed down . 

I've enjoyed single player instead . :alien: lol

Edited by KoN
  • Like 2

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

2 minutes ago, KoN said:

This used to happen on the A10 mfds,  when first came onto the scene . Also fps drops when using clusters  .

And that was years ago . But now its kind of fixed . it just needs tweaking by Devs . 

2.7 has had a big update . New lighting , new textures ,new clouds ect . 

I too frustrated at first but now I've calmed down . 

I've enjoyed single player instead . :alien: lol

Me too 😉 It's very beautiful and without performance issues , incredible . 

• Like 1

Today's update brings everything, but no fps / frametime improvement. You have set your piorities, haven't you?

BTW

"I appreciate those of you having performance issues, we know you are not making it up, PC's can be a mystery sometimes, I have said before I have seen the same machines perform differently for no apparent reason and it can be frustrating. 

We will continue to optimise and look at individual cases, try to help where we can."

I don't feel amused by such a comment. That's a quite audacious way to shifts the existing performance loss to users' side.

Different systems are daily business in software development. If ED is not able to manage the performance problems of their software in a reasonable time, they should at least direct their staff to not communicate such a statement that subtly implicits a properly working 2.7 DCS version.

To remember: It is not by any means! 

And, it's not a great help to continue to optimise, either. It has simply to be ED's necessary fast step to a flawless DCS 2.7 version that makes ~15% (maybe more?) of the users also harness their product at all - and a premise to sustain their customer relationship.

... For everybody within the 15% mystery group, I recommend to regularly light votive candles ... 😕

• Like 6

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

Hi , 

My New settings for VR, seems very good ! Thanks to reflected simulations for the explanations. 

Textures : High

Terrain Textures : Low

Civ Traffic : Low

Water : High

Visib Range : Medium 

Heat Blur : Low

Shadows : High 

Resolution : 1280*768 

Res of Cockpit Displays : 1024 

MSAA : 2*

Depth of field : OFF 

Lens effects : None 

Motion Blur : Off 

Clouds : Standard 

SSAA : OFF 

SSLR : ON

SSAO : ON 

Clutter/Grass : 1500 

Forest Visibility : 100% 

Forest Detail Factor : 0.45 

Scenary Detail factor : 0.45 

Preload radius : 50000 

Chimney Smoke Density : 0 

GAMMA : 1.6 

Anisotropic filtering : 8* 

Terrain Object Shadow : Flat 

Cockpit Global illumination : ON 

Rain Droplet : ON 

VSYNC : OFF 

Config I9 9000k , Quest 2, 32 GO , RTX 2080. 

12 hours ago, JAKAL said:

It is not acceptable to play multiplayer with FPS drops just because the sim is not optimized.

There's a stable version for you to enjoy too...

• Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

2 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

There's a stable version for you to enjoy too...

Yes, I got the same answer from ED staff. This is fine in theory, but for someone that exclusively flies in multiplayer, like me, it means that I can basically forget about flying DCS at this point as most servers went with the latest beta. 

Edited by Cmptohocah
  • Like 1

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

18 minutes ago, jurinko said:

sslr and ssao eat fps for not much in return. Try to switch them off and youll be better off, especially if you are struggling in VR. 

Hi Jurinko, 

Yes and I didn't use them before in VR, but in fact with my new settings the result is good (ans beautiful) with. I feel like I'm looking for the holy grail with all these adjustment tests 😉

I'm really satisfied with the oculus Quest 2. 

Kr

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charly314159 said:

He is clearly referring to multiplayer play so your remark is pointless...

No it's not. It still stays OB for everyone to test (for free and to have more test results). If OB doesn't work for whatever reason then so be it, it still stays a testing platform. If you can't get your head around that then OB is not for you, multiplayer or not. One could always set up a stable server and have fun or don't and keep moaning.

1 hour ago, Cmptohocah said:

Yes, I got the same answer from ED staff. This is fine in theory, but for someone that exclusively flies in multiplayer, like me, it means that I can basically forget about flying DCS at this point as most servers went with the latest beta.

The biggest problem is that almost every server directly switches to the latest OB version. If then OB gets screwed, everything there is a bit screwed, certainly on multiplayer. But then... it's OB for a reason...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

My FPS dropped from 115 to 90 with identical settings from 2.5.6 (+ SSAO OFF, Trees detail 1.0, Buildings detail 1.0, Clouds STANDARD). I was testing on Nevada (fairly optimized map) with "Landing" instant action scenario.

CPU: i7-10700 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super 8GB | STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB | DISPLAY: LG 43UN7100 43" | STICK: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

13 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

No it's not. It still stays OB for everyone to test (for free and to have more test results). If OB doesn't work for whatever reason then so be it, it still stays a testing platform. If you can't get your head around that then OB is not for you, multiplayer or not. One could always set up a stable server and have fun or don't and keep moaning.

The biggest problem is that almost every server directly switches to the latest OB version. If then OB gets screwed, everything there is a bit screwed, certainly on multiplayer. But then... it's OB for a reason...

As you said if you want to play MP you are almost required to make the switch to OB unless you have your own server. You managed to contradict yourself inside of a single post. 😉

Moreover let me remind you that often the stable has more bugs and performance hiccups than the open beta (since bugs are patched in the OB and transferred to the stable months later). What happened last year with 2.5.6 is a really good example of that. 

I agree this not how a stable/open beta should work but it is what we get. So again your comment was pointless.

• Like 3

You must be some happy camper there right now that you made your point.

Edited by Lange_666

in case of VR players are looking through this thread.

Ever since the update the stutter near the ground when looking over the wings was constant no matter the graphic settings, SS, SteamVR resolution, etc.

The culprit on my system (5900x, 2080TI, G2):   motion smoothing enabled in both WMR and SteamVR

It wasn't a problem in DCS 2.56, and it's not a problem with IL2. But DCS 2.7 is picky about it apparently.

1) enable reprojection/smoothing in SteamVR

2) go to file  steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings  and remove or comment out the line "motionReprojectionMode"

All the stuttering near the ground is gone. Now it's all about maintaining the basic frame-rate with textures, msaa, hw, etc..

Edited by peachmonkey
  • Like 1

So it will be set to this or that?

"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {
"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

// "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

You said to enable it but then to comment it out (I suppose to neutralize it by //)

10 minutes ago, jurinko said:

So it will be set to this or that?

"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

// "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

You said to enable it but then to comment it out (I suppose to neutralize it by //)

"SteamVR for WMR" has its own reprojection mode. I think it was introduced recently. It's independent from the Microsoft WMR one. So in the end you have actually have 2 separate methods: one built in to SteamVR and another built in to WMR environment. If you run them both you get stutters.  So enable SteamVR but disable WMR one (via the defaultvr.settings the file).

Yes, I'd replace // with a #, which is a universal 'comment' symbol.

Edited by peachmonkey

@rayrayblues - here are my specs, and settings. Currently getting better performance under 2.7 than I had under 2.5 with a 1660:
image.png

image.png

image.pngimage.png

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

2 hours ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

-snip-

@rayrayblues - here are my specs, and settings. Currently getting better performance under 2.7 than I had under 2.5 with a 1660:

Thanks buddy,     HVYapur.png 

they are pretty much the same as what I am running now. I re-did my settings again after we talked and also added 

an OC to my card. In game now I am running 2040 MHZ on the core (1895 before) and 6801 MHZ (6001 before) on the memory.

Looking good so far, but I will still give your settings a try since you are the only one that I know with a 1660. Is it a Ti?

BTW, have you seen prices nowadays. I paid $289.00 when it first came out. I saw one the other day, a Ti like mine for $1499.00. YIKES!   sz4M0Ns.png

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

I'm getting there after seeing my FPS half between 2.5 and 2.7

For me the thing that offered the biggest increase was deleting the saved games folder. I had previous deleted the shaders to no effect, but deleting the whole folder helped.

The major "problem" I'm having now is the CPU frametimes.

For example, typically in 2.5 I would see this:

image.png

And in 2.7......

image.png

CPU is all over the place.

This is a AMD 5900X

Can't get to the high settings I had previously, and have had to drop Steam resolution from 300% to 100% to get the same GPU frametimes 😞

Edited by deadbert
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 4:23 PM, rayrayblues said:

Thanks buddy,     HVYapur.png 

they are pretty much the same as what I am running now. I re-did my settings again after we talked and also added 

an OC to my card. In game now I am running 2040 MHZ on the core (1895 before) and 6801 MHZ (6001 before) on the memory.

Looking good so far, but I will still give your settings a try since you are the only one that I know with a 1660. Is it a Ti?

BTW, have you seen prices nowadays. I paid $289.00 when it first came out. I saw one the other day, a Ti like mine for $1499.00. YIKES!   sz4M0Ns.png

That's crazy!!! I bought mine at Amazon for $250.00 about a year ago. Don't think my card is a Ti, but not really sure what that means either . . . 😆

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Exactly the same on my AMD 5800x, the CPU frametimes are through the roof with 2.7 update. Maybe this is some kind of thing that is CPU or chipset related as that would explain why not so many are reporting the problem? Perhaps Intel/Nvidia is more tested and optimized? Maybe ED has no AMD hardware to test with due to cryptominers buying it all? 😉

In any case, the performance issue has to do with DCS core(?) engine overloading the CPU. Graphics is hardly related, because if I hit "pause" everything is super smooth and un-pausing makes things go slow and jittery again. Tried to remove the infamous windows KBs (500...something) and vortex calculation - no help. Ditto driver updates.

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

17 hours ago, RedX said:

Exactly the same on my AMD 5800x, the CPU frametimes are through the roof with 2.7 update. Maybe this is some kind of thing that is CPU or chipset related as that would explain why not so many are reporting the problem? Perhaps Intel/Nvidia is more tested and optimized? Maybe ED has no AMD hardware to test with due to cryptominers buying it all? 😉

In any case, the performance issue has to do with DCS core(?) engine overloading the CPU. Graphics is hardly related, because if I hit "pause" everything is super smooth and un-pausing makes things go slow and jittery again. Tried to remove the infamous windows KBs (500...something) and vortex calculation - no help. Ditto driver updates.

It is not just you or the AMD chip. I have seen my frametimes spike up to about 20+ a lot of the time in MP with a lot of red and orange spikes. Before 2.7 It was normally solid green and frametimes stayed below 20 but now they go above 20 a lot. I have tried a lot of tweaks. Reduced in game settings and also turned off dynamictickrate in windows and disabled HPET HAGS etc. Nothing helps. My system is a 9900KS at 5.1ghz 2080ti FTW3 32gb ram and I allocated paging file size of 32gb to 64gb range.

I mean it is a new beta version and betas are not final I get that but the major variation in performance people get even with similar specs is odd. Also they should look at ways of optimizing for the majority that have lessor hardware. This should not be a game meant only for the elite range systems.

Edited by BMGZ06
  • Like 2

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.