MASSIVE fps drop after update to 2.7

On 5/5/2021 at 5:25 PM, rayrayblues said:

Thanks to my friend @SmirkingGerbil I have settings that give me a steady 50 to 90 FPS depending on the scene. No stuttering or freezing except,

I have one mission on The Channel map with a "big formation" of B-17s that drop on the Dunkirk Airfield. When the bombs hit, my Frames fall through the floor.

In the picture below, I am at 17,300 feet over Calais which is 26.25 nm from Dunkirk. The picture was taken 2 minutes after the bombs hit and my frames were still down to 7-8

I would expect  a big drop like this if I was close to the target zone, but I was so far away that I couldn't see the bombs hit nor could I see the B-17's formation.

Is this normal, or do I have to tweak something else?

klXEUNf.jpg

Good news - not sure if I have an answer for this, but in my Squadron, when we run "Operation DCS Liberation" - with a lot of AI activity, like on the TARMAC for take off, everyone experiences frame rate getting tanked. We are not sure if it is AI processes hitting our CPU's or what.

Not sure if related, but if the Bomb Drops, and the formation of AI B-17's are all mashing your CPU to do their calculations etc it MIGHT (and I stress might) be related? Others smarter than me can comment and clarify.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

I guess my question then is, why do the frames drop when the event is not on the screen? I would experience this in 2.5.6 also, but

it would return to normal a few seconds later. With 2.7.0 it is several minutes to recover. This picture is after all 2 mins after the drop.

• Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

On 5/5/2021 at 2:44 PM, totmacher said:

Empty mission in 2.5.6 (121 FPS)

Empty mission in 2.7 with clouds "nothing" (92FPS)

24% FPS lose

well ****. (i took out pictures for space). 
For me it is only the clouds that cause the drop. Thanks for showing this to me. I do not think that for me personally there is difference if clouds are set to 'nothing' in 2.5 or 2.7 but i guess for others there is. 

• Like 2

caucasus free flight mission, empty mission and no new clouds. Same settings

80fps with 2.5

2.5.jpg

63fps with 2.7

2.7.jpg

Just looking up at the sky, same mission

2.5  140fps

2.7  100fps

Edited by MattCri
  • Like 3

I see much more stutter in VR with this week's patch

I was quite happy with the performance I reached with 2.7 in VR (despite having to downgrade settings again...) but it's all broken once again

Edited by Charly314159

5 hours ago, Charly314159 said:

I see much more stutter in VR with this week's patch

I was quite happy with the performance I reached with 2.7 in VR (despite having to downgrade settings again...) but it's all broken once again

I did as well. I changed SS to 0.8 and back to 1.0 and it was as before. 

@MattCri

You are right and it has been write down here already few times. This has nothing to do with this clouds (or at least almost). I dont know why people still think its only the clouds.

Like someone write already, it is the maybe more the lightning or whatever they "messed up" with 2.7.

You can see on the screens the light and shadow is difference and i have same experience with that. (shadows was more "dark/powerfull" !?)

Not sure what looks more natural or better (maybe personal preference), but for me it looked actualy better with the shadow on 2.5 (not only on this sceens here, also at me)

Anyway, i have pur some settings down😐 and at least i have some decent frames on multiplayer but still not smooth and nice as it was before. Sometimes hard fps drops wich not happened that before, or at least i did not noticed because frames was high enough. So this hard cut/drops are most annoying for me at the moment.

Lets hope ED focus and invest some time and money in performance optimisation!

On 5/8/2021 at 5:29 AM, MattCri said:

caucasus free flight mission, empty mission and no new clouds. Same settings

80fps with 2.5

2.5.jpg

63fps with 2.7

2.7.jpg

Just looking up at the sky, same mission

2.5  140fps

2.7  100fps

An observation about your statement of "same settings"

The graphics settings in 2.5 and 2.7 are not identical.

The most prominent changes which did not exist in 2.5 are the settings for "Forest Visibility, Forest Details Factor, and Scenery Details factor".

When you do apples to oranges between your two images, the 2.7 image shows softer edges to the forests, and more individual trees are visible - so this is not a "apples to apples" setting.

You would need to set the new "Details Settings" and SSAO! to match (if even possible) the old 2.5 settings for those details.

So it isn't really a straight up 2.5 better, 2.7 worse comparison, until you figure out how to modify new 2.7 settings to be as close as possible to 2.5.

2.7:
image.png

image.png

Edited by SmirkingGerbil
Added SSAO detail

JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

i believe Forest Details Factor and Scenery Details factor, while not visible before, defaulted at 1.0 in 2.5.

Trees visibility is bit different, even on the same setting (i use 85%) and i agree 2.7 is a tad better.

Look, im not saying "2.7 is the same but much heavier" but for me, mostly because my gpu is a bit old, the increase in graphical fidelity is not worth the performance loss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattCri said:

i believe Forest Details Factor and Scenery Details factor, while not visible before, defaulted at 1.0 in 2.5.

Trees visibility is bit different, even on the same setting (i use 85%) and i agree 2.7 is a tad better.

Look, im not saying "2.7 is the same but much heavier" but for me, mostly because my gpu is a bit old, the increase in graphical fidelity is not worth the performance loss.

Well, that is good to know - I didn't realize there was a setting analog for Scenery Details factor - might be closer than I thought.

Wasn't trying to be heavily critical, I was going over the settings myself, and wondering how someone "could" do a apples to apples. I wonder if the devs could map it for us, or if it is even possible?

I didn't take near the hit some did, and the 2.7 screen is my current settings, with very little frame rate loss. Except for Syria, but Syria always loaded my machine in 2.5 and 2.7.  But I am Track IR, with 32 GB of RAM running from an SSD, with an SSD page drive so hard for me to say how much 2.7 really hit me and under what conditions. But overall my experience has been pretty good for the increase in detail etc.

3 hours ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

Well, that is good to know - I didn't realize there was a setting analog for Scenery Details factor - might be closer than I thought.

Wasn't trying to be heavily critical, I was going over the settings myself, and wondering how someone "could" do a apples to apples. I wonder if the devs could map it for us, or if it is even possible?

I didn't take near the hit some did, and the 2.7 screen is my current settings, with very little frame rate loss. Except for Syria, but Syria always loaded my machine in 2.5 and 2.7.  But I am Track IR, with 32 GB of RAM running from an SSD, with an SSD page drive so hard for me to say how much 2.7 really hit me and under what conditions. But overall my experience has been pretty good for the increase in detail etc.

I highly doubt the fps loss happening to some people (me included) in 2.7 is due to the new forest & scenery details factor settings. 

Because I have tested for numerous times that even when flying above an area of empty ocean towards absolutely nothing in front of me and no objects in my view. The FPS in 2.7 is about 30% lower than in 2.5. Also just looking up at an area of empty sky with no clouds, the FPS in 2.7 is also lower than 2.5. 

That's why I do believe there is something wrong in 2.7. Also I noticed water quality kills a lot of FPS even if there is no water in the view. 

Edited by SCPanda
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 5:59 AM, SCPanda said:

Also I noticed water quality kills a lot of FPS even if there is no water in the view. 

That's how DCS terrain engine has been working for years. The game fully renders a layer of water under the whole map and then puts land over it. So the water calculations always take place, whether you see it or not. One more reason not to be too optimistic with water quality setting even if you're using desert-mostly maps in your missions.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 5/12/2021 at 10:10 PM, Art-J said:

The game fully renders a layer of water under the whole map and then puts land over it

Sometimes it leaks.  q4fEPdv.png

• Like 2

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

3 ore fa, NukeBear01 ha scritto:

In questa missione predefinita F / A-18C con avvio a freddo, non ci sono nuove nuvole e nessuna superficie d'acqua, ma l'FPS della versione 2.7 è 10FPS inferiore a quello della 2.5.6.

11 Simulatore di combattimento digitale 2021_5_17 20_59_33.jpg

22 simulatore di battaglia digitale 2021_5_17 20_59_33.jpg

Well I think it's clear proof that something is wrong ...

Firma DCS.png

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.60 GHz - DDR4 32,0 GB - MSI RTX3080ti - Win 11 64bit

2 minutes ago, JAKAL said:

Well I think it's clear proof that something is wrong ...

Yeah, I don't think 13 pages and over 315 posts is about nothing.

There's gotta' be something wrong. Even guys who have strong machines

with 30 series cards are complaining.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

Adesso, rayrayblues ha scritto:

Sì, non credo che 13 pagine e oltre 315 post non contengano nulla.

Deve esserci qualcosa che non va. Anche ragazzi che hanno macchine potenti

con 30 carte di serie si lamentano.

Indeed, the problem exists and it is undeniable.
We are on a beta version and it could also be understandable, we can only hope that the developers are already working to solve this problem. How can you buy other new modules if you find it difficult to run them on your pc?

Firma DCS.png

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.60 GHz - DDR4 32,0 GB - MSI RTX3080ti - Win 11 64bit

Got to be honest getting a little irritated and disillusioned with DCS after years of investment. I want to love this game and I've spent a  fortune on a new PC, Reverb G2, Warthog, Modules etc. I tend to sit here at night boot up, run a mission, mess with the settings, change graphics drivers read forums  in the hope that something will give me a decent FPS. I then get P***** off and come to the conclusion just put it down till the next patch.  New patch...Repeat above!

Please fix the core game.

Apologies for rant, I normally keep my trap shut. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 5/14/2021 at 2:08 PM, rayrayblues said:

Sometimes it leaks.  q4fEPdv.png

You know, it is like a water bed. You have to stop moving around so much on take off and landing, then that will calm down. 😆

Seriously though, since it is rendering under all land masses, if you (we) just set our water detail to low, then we should get a performance gain??

I know this has been beat to death. I am not getting a massive FPS loss, and I am not a 120 FPS system guy.

However, I know folks are having issues, and I was looking at some more NVIDA tweaks. I tried one more (along with others that contravene other advice!!!)

But, I want to focus on the one, that I think had the most impact. Max Frame Rate. In other games, I run 60 to 120 FPS no problem, in DCS currently (and in 2.5) doing good at 50 to 90 - currently 45 to 60 ish 2.7 Syria. So this tweak is to drop about 10 or 15 frames below what you normally average, and set your Max Frame Rate there. This does not affect other games like Borderlands 3 for whatever reason.

I did this mainly for DCS, and I can confirm using an FPS counter, it pretty much stays right at 47 - before it would float between 45 and 60+ on Syria. Higher on other maps.

However, no stutter, and rock solid performance. I hate it that another tweak I was using, kinda gets over written on other things with this tweak. But I would be interested in knowing if folks set this 10 to 15 frames below their best in DCS if it helps them or not.

If it does, I will go over the other tweaks I tried (that are somewhat different than other advice I have followed) and we can check those. I definitely got some smoother better performance with these settings - but I think MFR is the one that others can try and get a measurable verifiable benefit or not.

image.png

On 5/18/2021 at 4:00 AM, Shaneuk said:

Got to be honest getting a little irritated and disillusioned with DCS after years of investment. I want to love this game and I've spent a  fortune on a new PC, Reverb G2, Warthog, Modules etc. I tend to sit here at night boot up, run a mission, mess with the settings, change graphics drivers read forums  in the hope that something will give me a decent FPS. I then get P***** off and come to the conclusion just put it down till the next patch.  New patch...Repeat above!

That's exactly what I had been doing. Spending all night tweaking the game. Literally tried everything ppl have been saying in the forum, including reinstalling DCS. 

In the end, I just gave up. Because lowering my graphic settings only gave me less than 10 fps increase, and it's still worse than 2.5.6. I didn't like my game looking bad so I reverted my settings to what I had in 2.5.6. Now, I just wait for ED can fix the issue and bring the performance back. Hopefully soon. 

Edited by SCPanda
  • Like 5

On 5/17/2021 at 10:00 PM, Shaneuk said:

I second that. After buying it, I feel that I have been robbed since it’s not enjoyable anymore and I do not habe the money for a new PC. Game performance should get better with time and not worse! 30-40 fps loss on my side.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:00 PM, Shaneuk said:

ranting - does not help
posting logs, tracks, bug reports etc. - does not help
begging the devs for improving the core engine - does not help

All you can do is buying the best hardware you can afford, tweaking it to get the best possible performance in DCS and hoping that it will be playable for at least half a year without major problems... which is more than unsure...

Edited by JumpinK

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

15 minutes ago, JumpinK said:

ranting - does not help
posting logs, tracks, bug reports etc. - does not help
begging the devs for improving the core engine - does not help

All you can do is buying the best hardware you can afford, tweaking it to get the best possible performance in DCS and hoping that it will be playable for at least half a year without major problems... which is more than unsure...

Have you already seen a feedback on a track here?