MASSIVE fps drop after update to 2.7

21 minutes ago, Charly314159 said:

Have you already seen a feedback on a track here? 

are you kidding?
I haven't seen any useful feedback from ED for a looong loooong time now... I believe the last feedback from ED about performance was from wags quite some time ago... he promised a 50% performance gain back then! 😂😂 I think he even called it a "50% performance BOOST"!😂😂
And we all know where this ended for many many users... right here in the (ignored by the devs) "game performance bugs" section of the ED forums.

You can also call this a "dead end" as BIGNEWY did some pages earlier.

Edited by JumpinK
  • Like 3

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

Not that writing this will do any good, but all you people complaining about the state of DCS belong on the Stable branch. If ED updates Stable with the same performance issues Open Beta has right now, then you well have a reasonable complaint.

The fact that most multiplayer servers use Open Beta is irrelevant. ED is very transparent that Open Beta is intended for testing and fine-tuning new updates. Everybody knows that. 

• Like 2

They must have done something with yesterday's patch. My frames are occasionally dropping to 55 or 60 when before,

I was getting 25 to 40. The drops are not as deep as before.  There is nothing in the changelog about anything related to 

optimizing performance, but I do see a difference, no more freezing or stuttering.

Edited by rayrayblues
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

18 minutes ago, rayrayblues said:

They must have done something with yesterday's patch. My frames are occasionally dropping to 55 or 60 when before,

I was getting 25 to 40. The drops are not as deep as before.  There is nothing in the changelog about anything related to 

optimizing performance, but I do see a difference, no more freezing or stuttering.

Thx for the info. I will check it out today when I got home from work. Hopefully some performance gain. 

• Like 2

I ran a few comparison tests not because i was bothered with a frame drop after upgrading to 2.7 but because of the change in full screen behavior on a multi monitor system.

Since i lock my FPS to 60 and because with my settings i can stay above it, i don't notice those frame drops.

But the difference in the way full screen works between 2.5.6 and 2.7 (or 2.7.1 for that matter) made me make a comparison with the FPS unlocked so i could see the difference in FPS between the various modes.

First this:

Full screen mode in 2.5.6: if full screen is ticked, the main monitor will keep displaying DCS full screen when the mouse is moved over to the second screen and this monitor is activated by clicking on it.

Full screen mode in 2.7.1: if full screen is ticked, the main monitor will put DCS to minimized when the mouse is moved over to the second screen and this monitor is activated by clicking on it.

Solution to prevent DCS going minimized is unticking full screen and let DCS work in Windows borderless mode.

Now the difference between in FPS 2.5.6 and 2.7.1 full screen or not (test scenario: A-10A on Take-off in Nevada map)

(my game settings don't really matter, it's the FPS number that counts)

2.5.6 full screen: 140 FPS

2.5.6 windowed mode (full screen unticked): 117 FPS

The same thing happens when switching between modes by pressing Alt-Enter.

If in full screen and alt-enter is pressed to go into windows mode, the FPS goes from 140 to 117 and vice versa.

But in full screen DCS does not minimize when going to the second monitor.

2.7.1 full screen: 120 FPS (a drop by 20 compared to 2.5.6)

2.7.1 windowed mode (full screen unticked): 116 FPS (almost no drop compared with 2.5.6 !!!!)

If i press alt-enter to switch between modes, it goes from 120 to 116 and vice versa BUT...

But in 2.7.1 in full screen DCS does minimize when going to the second monitor and the icon on the taskbar needs to be clicked to bring it back to the front on the main monitor.

• Like 3

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Just to keep this topic alive. No performance gain from the last patch for me. 

FPS is still the same in the Persian Gulf Free Flight mission as the 2.7 release, and significantly lower than 2.5.6.  

Edited by SCPanda
  • Like 2

in my case it is the same and I have a 3080, it is evident that there is a loss of performance in both vr and non-vr.  On the other hand, I have noticed that when turning the view with the trackir there is a very noticeable blur, even with high fps ... you can also see it in the videos of Matt and other YouTubes and that was not noticeable before, not to mention the stutter ...  have to improve the performance of this 2.7

• Like 3

On 5/21/2021 at 1:43 AM, rayrayblues said:

Ray - been following your updates, and changes. Thanks for posting this stuff.

I too have made small changes to things I recommended earlier, and I am also getting improved performance with last update.

The biggest change I made recently which really seemed to help, especially with Syria was setting MFR "Max Frame Rate" via NVIDIA control panel.

I took the lowest FPS I get in Syria, at about 2500 feet, above a populated area, with my MAV display and TGP active as my baseline of about 55 fps, sometimes as low as 40.

I then set MFR to 47. All maps, and scenarios have improved. Most notably I rarely get stutter now, especially on Syria. Thanks for all the detail you are sharing.

Edited by SmirkingGerbil
spelling

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

I think a major culprit of the 2.7 FPS loss is the new water... basing this on the fact that, when flying with a cloudless sky, I still have 15+ FPS on average slower performance than in 2.5.6. When I look down on the water when it is set to 'high" I drop from 60 to 30 FPS as shown here: 

• Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Hi everybody.

❓Serious question here: I have DCS on Steam and would like to not to be forced to update to 2.7 since it makes DCS unusable for me on my already low-end system. I’m fine just simming around in the Huey and no need for multiplayer. But when the 2.7 update becomes stable it’s over for me.

Does anybody know if/how I can stay in 2.5.6 and stop steam from updating to 2.7 once it’s “stable”?

Edited by Cabri

There's a simple solution:

1. Install release/stable DCS standalone version on your computer and import your Steam modules (see Steam DCS FAQ)
  2. Edit the DCS standalone shortcut:
  • replace "bin\DCS_updater.exe" with "bin\DCS.exe": no more updates.
  • Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:09 PM, Cab said:

Not that writing this will do any good, but all you people complaining about the state of DCS belong on the Stable branch. If ED updates Stable with the same performance issues Open Beta has right now, then you well have a reasonable complaint.

The fact that most multiplayer servers use Open Beta is irrelevant. ED is very transparent that Open Beta is intended for testing and fine-tuning new updates. Everybody knows that. 

well, now stable and open beta are the same, major performance loss included

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattCri said:

well, now stable and open beta are the same, major performance loss included

Yep, and I think people still experiencing major performance loss from 2.7 have a reason to complain.

Personally, I m a little disappointed they did that.

• Like 1

It's amazing how ED ignores their customers problems with their product!!!

2.7 is still unplayable for me as for many others. We are just left alone in the dust, not even a serious attempt to help us with the product we payed for! I followed this post from the beginning and tried every possible advice also from other sources, including complete reinstall. Nothing worked! 

Meanwhile I found a solution for me: IL-2!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, B4ron said:

It's amazing how ED ignores their customers problems with their product!!!

2.7 is still unplayable for me as for many others. We are just left alone in the dust, not even a serious attempt to help us with the product we payed for! I followed this post from the beginning and tried every possible advice also from other sources, including complete reinstall. Nothing worked!

Please open a new thread describing your performance issue (I've read you get -30% FPS but not everybody has seen your previous posts) and attach to it:

• your dcs.log file  ( C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS...\Logs\dcs.log )
  • your dxdiag log (howto)
  • your process list (howto)

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

@B4ron Well, yeah... me and many guys of our Squadron playing Arma3 since 2.7 dropped... 

DCS is such a good game, but the community work is far behind... 

After some catastrophic releases like the SuperCarrier, F-16C, the development chaos surrounding the F / A-18C and the upcoming Hind release, ED should consider some internal changes.

it's not as if the community doesn't want to support it ... but what you try, it is apparently mostly ignored. I very much hope that ED will get the curve and get on track at some point.

• Like 1

I’m having a situation with the F-14, MP and Caucuses on OB where I look at F10 map and when I go back, stuttering to point of non functional with massive spike in the Ram usage and only way to clear is completely shutting down DCS and my Index.  Can’t bring anything new data wise to the table but looking for any similar experience for others before I randomly dissect things on this end. 

Edited by Mr. Big.Biggs

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

12 hours ago, Flappie said:

Please open a new thread describing your performance issue (I've read you get -30% FPS but not everybody has seen your previous posts) and attach to it:

• your dcs.log file  ( C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS...\Logs\dcs.log )
  • your dxdiag log (howto)
  • your process list (howto)

As requested I opened a new thread here:

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Big.Biggs said:

I’m having a situation with the F-14, MP and Caucuses on OB where I look at F10 map and when I go back, stuttering to point of non functional with massive spike in the Ram usage and only way to clear is completely shutting down DCS and my Index.  Can’t bring anything new data wise to the table but looking for any similar experience for others before I randomly dissect things on this end. 

F10 in VR causes issues for me too - and at times can result in a loss of frames / increased RAM usage, so you're not alone there, but I don't think that is 2.7 related. I had that in 2.5.6 as well.

On 5/20/2021 at 7:09 PM, Cab said:

Well they did just that, 2.7.1 is now stable.