MASSIVE fps drop after update to 2.7

Hi guys,i unstall the game then re-install it,the problem seems to be sovled.

通过我的 V1955A 上的 Tapatalk发言

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

ok after initial install I was getting 20 fps on my rx570...... initial thoughs    oh shit.

after playing about with the settings im getting 45-70 fps hahahaha.  with Ultra Clouds 😂  and a solid 40-50fps on [4YA] PVE full war training multiplayer server  

Im realistic with my settings but I recon im getting better fps than 2.5.6 with better visuals.

Untitled.png

Happy Camper 😂👍

AMD Ryzen 5 1600af  / rx570 8Gb GRAM  / 16Gb 2800Mhz DDR4 / 500Gb SSD / 1080p & Delan head tracker

Edited by Droning_On
  • Like 3
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

I did some testing. DCS 2.5.6 in VR run on my 5600x/32/3070 unbelievably well at 1.0/100%, everything to max except 2xmsaa, vis ultra, full shadows etc., steamVR movement smoothing off (this provided the smoothness as I accidentaly found out).

In 2.7 I can achieve the same smoothness with 0.8/100%. When switching at 1.0/100% to Medium preset settings, it runs breathtakingly smoothly, my stomach turns around since the brain can't cope with the realism. Then step by step I added features back to high and smoothness stayed until putting ground shadows to default and msaa to 2x. SSAO porked everything even more and porkiness remained even after switching it off. Reset to Medium restored the order back. 

Since both ssao and shadows are, well, shadows, there is something lurking in the shadows in 2.7 which affects some systems negatively. 

In 2d 2.7 runs still awesome but once you get that VR, you know what I mean. 

6 minutes ago, jurinko said:

I did some testing. DCS 2.5.6 in VR run on my 5600x/32/3070 unbelievably well at 1.0/100%, everything to max except 2xmsaa, vis ultra, full shadows etc., steamVR movement smoothing off (this provided the smoothness as I accidentaly found out).

In 2.7 I can achieve the same smoothness with 0.8/100%. When switching at 1.0/100% to Medium preset settings, it runs breathtakingly smoothly, my stomach turns around since the brain can't cope with the realism. Then step by step I added features back to high and smoothness stayed until putting ground shadows to default and msaa to 2x. SSAO porked everything even more and porkiness remained even after switching it off. Reset to Medium restored the order back. 

Since both ssao and shadows are, well, shadows, there is something lurking in the shadows in 2.7 which affects some systems negatively. 

In 2d 2.7 runs still awesome but once you get that VR, you know what I mean. 

I need my shadows ☹️

One time flying in the Tomcat, I wanted to tune to a frequency but couldn't see which radio channel the radio screen was displaying because the sunshine was too bright on the panel. So I rolled the plane so that a shadow was cast across the panel and could read the display. Way immersive in VR 😎

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

I did find interesting artefact in VR 2.7. I've noticed that something wrong 2 lines of objects sitting somewhere at 5 and 10km from me. This affect was like if you're having wrong IPD. But it was strange, because everything in a cockpit or at further distance was ok. I've started to close my eyes one by one, and found out that the distance of drawing or LOD changing passing through these two lines is different for each eye. Its like a difference of 100-200m for each eye. And it more obvious when you're looking at the forest or city. This is really wierd, Ive never seen nothing like this before. Seems like a bug to me.

I noticed that I had brutal FPS drops with the TGP (Litening 2, with the ATFLIR does not happen)(A10CII, F18) and the MAV, or it gets even worse with both.

I tried to deactivate the VSYNC and the problem of the drops was solved, now the drops are not so pronounced (like it was before).

3 hours ago, Boris_CRO said:

To be honest i dont even know what should be my settings with I3-8100 (3.60 GHz, 4 cores), Nvidia 1060 (6GB) and 16 GB DDR4 RAM.

My config : I7-4590, GTX 1050TI (4GB) overclocked, 32 GB Ram

No FPS drop (clouds on ultra)

Normandy map (before, after)= solo 40-45 FPS,  40-45, MP (Storm of War) : 40-45, 40-45

Channel map : 30-35, 30-35 (solo only)

Edited by FlyBy2507

You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!

1 hour ago, Midgard said:

I noticed that I had brutal FPS drops with the TGP (Litening 2, with the ATFLIR does not happen)(A10CII, F18) and the MAV, or it gets even worse with both.

I tried to deactivate the VSYNC and the problem of the drops was solved, now the drops are not so pronounced (like it was before).

Noticed that too, in F-16, when using TGP my FPS drops for around 25 to 30 fps. When I switch from TGP display it goes up again. I did full repair and cleanup after the patch download.

Edited by Furiz

I'm getting the same issue. 30fps drop across the board with all the same shader errors in the log. Tried everything suggested even completely re-installing DCS to no joy. So, i did a bit of digging. Here's a list of files DCS says it can't open in the directory bazar/shaders/enlight/

clouds.fx

clouds.hlsl

cloudscommon.hlsl

cloudsfunctions.hlsl

cloudsraymarch.hlsl

cloudssampling.hlsl

cloudspreprocess.fx

cloudsupsampling.fx

cloudlighting.fx

clouddetail.fx

cloudnoise.hlsl

cloudssdf.hlsl

cloudscompute.fx

When i looked in my directory none of these files exist. I'm wondering if this is the source of the problem?

Capture.PNG

I also have try out a complete new fresh install. And what to say.. suprise suprise, nothing changed. Also dont worth try to fix with GPU drivers in my eyes, but i also have try it. 0 change.

Again i come to result this is not a problem comming from our end.

Waiting for ED to fix and optimize.

To be fair it could still be a driver configuration issue. I actually removed my Nvidia driver with Wagnards DDU tool and tried a number of older drivers without success though. So, i'm leaning towards it being a delivery issue with the update. It would be good if anyone out there who isn't getting those shader errors in the log could check and see if they have those missing files.

I bit the bullet and did a complete re-install yesterday. I haven’t had a lot of time to check it out, but the little bit of flying I did yesterday seemed pretty consistent performance-wise to what I had before. Way too early to know for sure yet, will know more over the next few days. 

14 hours ago, SCPanda said:

I also got frame drops on Caucasus, and it's pretty weird because I get lower frames in the air than on the airport. I say lower frames I mean sometimes the frames will drop for some reason and I was not near or looking a crowded area. Also the overall frames on Caucasus is much lower than 2.5.6. I have already tried deleting the saved games folder for DCS and didn't notice any improvement. I will try to repair and install (I'm on steam so verify game files I guess). Hope it works. 

Also I just don't get why some people are reporting better frames in 2.7, all I experience is lower fps (not much but definitely about 15-20 fps loss) than 2.5.6, before the update game is super smooth on all maps, but now the game performance is not as good as before. Also, I don't think the new cloud is causing the performance issue, when I look at the clouds my FPS is ok and equal to 2.5.6, but looking at the terrain, worse FPS than previous open beta. 

My Spec:

GTX 1080

i7 7700k

32 GB RAM

Playing on 1080p, all effects high, MSAAx2, Terrain shadow FLAT, Vsync off, SSAA, SSLR, SSAO all off

It´s kind of weird, but upon testing more, the framerate is not a problem at all. Really what is, are the high frame times. Pretty much what @Harlikwin noticed. I will try 461.72 driver and see if I notice any improvement. I am feeling that this is a matter of optimisation, as my hardware is simply not getting used to it´s fullest. We are hardware-wise rather similar (I7 8770k, GTX 1080ti, SSD) and for me it runs great in VR, except the occasional stutter (in Caucasus).

- Try 461.72 driver and see if you get any improvement.

- It might be worth considering a fresh-reinstall if you are like me and have run the same installation for the past 7-8 years (save input-file such that you have all your keybindings).

- Wait for the next DCS update which should address much of what is being discussed here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5 minutes ago, zerO_crash said:

It´s kind of weird, but upon testing more, the framerate is not a problem at all. Really what is, are the high frame times. Pretty much what @Harlikwin noticed. I will try 461.72 driver and see if I notice any improvement. I am feeling that this is a matter of optimisation, as my hardware is simply not getting used to it´s fullest. We are hardware-wise rather similar (I7 8770k, GTX 1080ti, SSD) and for me it runs great in VR, except the occasional stutter (in Caucasus).

- Try 461.72 driver and see if you get any improvement.

- It might be worth considering a fresh-reinstall if you are like me and have run the same installation for the past 7-8 years (save input-file such that you have all your keybindings).

- Wait for the next DCS update which should address much of what is being discussed here.

Yeah, its not at all clear to me what the actual issue was in my case, but changing drivers "fixed" it. So I don't know if it was DCS, or Nvida, or some weird ass gremlin that decided to randomly move out at some point while I messed with his virtual home.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

2 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Yeah, its not at all clear to me what the actual issue was in my case, but changing drivers "fixed" it. So I don't know if it was DCS, or Nvida, or some weird ass gremlin that decided to randomly move out at some point while I messed with his virtual home.

I am really curious if this driver, pluss deleting the config-file, will remove the last stuttering, and give me actually give me as good performance as I had in 2.5.6 with better visuals. I wonder, do you notice any difference between Syria and Caucasus in terms of performance?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 minutes ago, zerO_crash said:

I am really curious if this driver, pluss deleting the config-file, will remove the last stuttering, and give me actually give me as good performance as I had in 2.5.6 with better visuals. I wonder, do you notice any difference between Syria and Caucasus in terms of performance?

So now that I have my problem, whatever it was "resolved". I'm seeing pretty good performance overall, I'd say on par or maybe even better in some instances than 2.5.6... I am however worried about moving forward driver wise now though. Cuz whatever was "eating" 4ms worth of frames was troubling... I mean thats huuuge...

Syria seems to run fine for me, but it did before aside from a few problem areas like beirut, and I haven't checked on those yet. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

6 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

So now that I have my problem, whatever it was "resolved". I'm seeing pretty good performance overall, I'd say on par or maybe even better in some instances than 2.5.6... I am however worried about moving forward driver wise now though. Cuz whatever was "eating" 4ms worth of frames was troubling... I mean thats huuuge...

Syria seems to run fine for me, but it did before aside from a few problem areas like beirut, and I haven't checked on those yet. 

I see, well I can absolutely recommend to hold back with the driver update for now. I am running the newest and it definitely made things worse. Also, if Syria ran good for you before too, then there is something with Caucasus indeed. I notice some of my clan-mates have the same issues with it specifically. Makes me wonder if it could have something to do with the high amount of trees and how they are projected, or simply that the map needs an optimisation.

I´ll check later 461.72 and see what I find. Also with deleting the options-file.

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 minutes ago, Furiz said:

It wouldn't be the first time that Nvidia drivers were the cause of the problem, so I'm not surprised to read this, I'll roll back my driver as well tomorrow try and see if its any better.

Yeah IDK,

As I mentioned I "think" what happened was:

New DCS while running whatever driver I was on (march most likely, and it was fine with 2.5.6) = bad

Uprayded to newest Nvida driver = bad

Downgrayed to Feb version of driver = miracle all things fixed.

16 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Yeah IDK,

As I mentioned I "think" what happened was:

New DCS while running whatever driver I was on (march most likely, and it was fine with 2.5.6) = bad

Uprayded to newest Nvida driver = bad

Downgrayed to Feb version of driver = miracle all things fixed.

Do you know which version number the Feb driver is?

2 hours ago, Mercian said:

I'm getting the same issue. 30fps drop across the board with all the same shader errors in the log. Tried everything suggested even completely re-installing DCS to no joy. So, i did a bit of digging. Here's a list of files DCS says it can't open in the directory bazar/shaders/enlight/

After some testing today I can say the only way not to sink to 30 on my config but stay at 60 with dips to 50s in heavy weather is keeping the V-Sync enabled in NVidia cpl (only the "normal" V-Sync, adaptive one causes nosedive to 30 again) and keeping it off in the game options (together with Full Screen off to avoid frequent crashes to desktop).

I'm also keen on trying out the Harlikwin's driver version though, 'cause the latest one didn't bring me anywhere close to 2.5.6 performance levels unforunately.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.