MASSIVE fps drop after update to 2.7

Good that it work maybe for few people. but i dont think thats the problem here or im only unlucky here?

I have try nvidia version 390 old driver 416, 436, 455 and 460´s all the same.. max 1 fps difference and nothing to talk about.

Not nvidia had changes here things so how you come on nvidia causing problem?

I mean ok if you have a smooth running game and you do change on yourself a gpu driver, i see that the gpu driver cause problem but here it was ED who braught a change.

All i see is 2.5.6 = smooth, then come DCS update 2.5.7 change = not smooth. No change on my side. So who cause the problem?

Also i tryed some other games with the old driver test...nothing changed. With older drivers i had maybe -1 fps or same again nothing to talk about. But ~30% performance lost now way.

EDIT: "Do you know which version number the Feb driver is?"

February it was only 1 driver i think 461.72. good luck...

GeForce Game Ready-Treiber WHQL 461.72

Edited by -Relax-

Issue seems to be that a person has a given spec PC, runs the sim fine... Buys modules. Runs the modules fine. Game runs silky smooth...

So then you buy more modules. You're really enjoying the sim. 

A year goes by. It's amazing. Everything is great. 60FPS+ Silky smooth!

Then a patch comes and you lose 30FPS to 40FPS.

Now the game you spent $1000 on runs like a slideshow. 

This isn't a good trend to set. The clouds are sick, but damn...

Especially not cool in a hardware environment where you can't upgrade even if you do have the money.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, -Relax- said:

Good that it work maybe for few people. but i dont think thats the problem here or im only unlucky here?

I have try nvidia version 390 old driver 416, 436, 455 and 460´s all the same.. max 1 fps difference and nothing to talk about.

Not nvidia had changes here things so how you come on nvidia causing problem?

I mean ok if you have a smooth running game and you do change on yourself a gpu driver, i see that the gpu driver cause problem but here it was ED who braught a change.

All i see is 2.5.6 = smooth, then come DCS update 2.5.7 change = not smooth. No change on my side. So who cause the problem?

Also i tryed some other games with the old driver test...nothing changed. With older drivers i had maybe -1 fps or same again nothing to talk about. But ~30% performance lost now way.

EDIT: "Do you know which version number the Feb driver is?"

February it was only 1 driver i think 461.72. good luck...

GeForce Game Ready-Treiber WHQL 461.72

Thanks. Yeah i have tried that one to but no luck either.

Try setting Terrain to LOW. With the Textures set to High you should have a big performance increase and it still looks good.
I also started with a massive FPS loss. But I did a clean re-install. Selected the Medium preset and worked from there.
Obviously you always want the MSAA 2X checked, DCS looks awful without it. That is a performance hit you need to take.

Edited by Schmidtfire

12 minutes ago, Schmidtfire said:

Try setting Terrain to LOW. With the Textures set to High you should have a big performance increase and it still looks good.
I also started with a massive FPS loss. But I did a clean re-install. Selected the Medium preset and worked from there.
Obviously you always want the MSAA 2X checked, DCS looks awful without it. That is a performance hit you need to take.

What is "big" performance increase for you?

I have try that too.. and Indeed it bring "few" fps. For me its like 2-4 fps gain this is not big in my eyes.

MSAA was already off in 2.5.6 for me!

And again, thats not the point here. You have to compare SAME settings as people had before 2.5.7 update.

With new effects in a update i can live with a little performance drop. But not like 30% drop with SAME settings. That is the point and should be understandable. So it goes not about to drop all settings now to gain performance again.

ED say GTX 1070 for HIGH settings. I know gtx 1060 not as good as 1070 but i think mid settings should be work here. And again. IT HAS WORKED before....

Edited by -Relax-

On 4/15/2021 at 7:21 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Ive just been speaking to a user who has a GTX 960m who is getting better frames in 2.7 than 2.5. so I am getting feedback from both ends of the spectrum 🙂

If you are having problems please ensure you have removed all unofficial mods, including shader mods, run a full cleanup and slow repair or verify if steam 

make sure windows 10 is up to date and you have the latest display drivers

check and re apply your nvidia settings, ( I had an issue once after a windows update with settings not applying correctly )

Rename your dcs folder in saved games ( keep it as a back ) 

run dcs login and redo settings

I did some benchmarks with absolutely no clouds (preset nothing + cloud density 0) and it looks like the new engine is more gpu friendly than cpu. I gained 11 fps on high and dropped a lot in low and medium. Its still very playable even with clouds on, with no stutters at all, but I share with you my numbers if they can help.

I benchmarked using gryz mission from user files (complex version), calculated the average fps with afterburner and did multiple runs per preset with the same settings to see if there is some variations (+/- 1fps every time).

Windows is fresh, drivers up to date and I made a new saved games folder for the tests ..

Average fps for each run

GTX1080 R5 5600X @1080p 2.5.6 2.7.0
Low 221 164
Med. 192 144
High 72 83
High(no sslr/ssao) 106 91

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

R5 5600x @ 4.6Ghz | B550 Gigabyte Aorus Pro | beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | 64GB Team DARK Zα @3600Mhz |  Samsung nmve 1TB | RTX 4070ti MSI | DELANCLiP HT | Oculus Quest 2

Get my skins & missions >>   Check my DCS Awesome List >>

Dear ED,

Regardless of your minor shortcomings in your latest 2.7 update, such as ~ up to 38% FPS loss and considerably increasing frame times on my side, I am incredibly impressed of your tight endeavours to improve DCS ! 

Please be so kind as to asap disclose when you will have restored the (latest slide show) simulation to its former airworthiness! Thanks awfully. 😕

• Like 2

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

I just rolled back my Nvidia drivers to 465.89, so the previous ones, and its working great, so definitely a driver issue for me. But still using TGP drops my fps by 20-30. To add to this using Mav display with TGP brings even more FPS drop.

Edited by Furiz

Just sharing my silly experience with this as well. 

I too faced that FPS drop when upgrading to 2.7, and did almost everything already said before (clean DCS install, roll back nvidia driver to older one, clean FXO and metashaders etc etc..).
All without a major improvement, so I started to downgrade graphics and at some point I got left Alt + Enter (instead of Alt + Tab) and... Taaa daaaaaa!!!
Just like magic, another game. Started to raise the settings again to the point I'm quite happy, running at 60 FPS basically (settings attached).

TL;DR
Give left Alt + Enter a try

My senior rig: i2500K / 12GB RAM / GTX 970
Have vsync active in nvidia control

DCS_2_7_Settings.jpg

Yesterday I tried out the new open beta and while I had 60fps on 2.5.6, with 2.7 the fps decreased to 40–45 fps average (and stutter). I don’t think it’s the clouds since it stays the same even with clouds off. The shaders in the user folder were deleted before trying 2.7 and nothing else on my system was changed. (I also use the left Alt+Return for fullscreen mode hotkey, as the support center suggested)

One thing I noticed is that the water changed to the glossy reflective water – but I did not find the option to force it to the former “fake-reflection” water as of 2.5.6. Somehow I have the feeling it might be the reason for it.

If there is a way to turn the water reflection to he former water in 2.5.6, then it would be interesting to see if it is the reason for the problem.

Also I am afraid that if 2.7 turns stable, i will loose my current performance and will be stuck to 40 fps which is unusable for me since I only play it with helicopters where there is a lot movement.

26CE0B99-4285-45BC-93B0-8770F75EE311.jpeg

AB6F2151-A3A4-480C-AF01-9CB91A78E100.jpeg

E66A9E21-140B-49A1-9299-FE48727EF12C.jpeg

517B7E0F-4DA7-4A61-B71D-1C8460F0A87E.jpeg

Edited by Cabri

Tested it with 461.72 Nvidia driver, somewhat better, but still far perfect. At this point, I notice that the frametime is very high (15+ ms). Having also compared FPS, yes, it´s much lower than it was before. This has to be priority number one.

- Intel i7 8770k

- Nvidia 1080 Ti

- 32GB RAM

- SSD (Samsung 980EVO)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1,  may be 30% performance lost with 2.7. All BS like repairs, drivers, fxo folder, delete saved games and so on have been tested with no difference.

As stated by @Cabriit's not the clouds. Probably the new reflections or shadows or lightning but I wish they made those with on/off function.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guys. I've decided to pull the trigger and do a complete reinstall (all DCS related folders are removed).
This did the trick for me and now the performance is back to what I've seen back in 2.5.6. 🙂

Below are all the changes that I've tried before the re-installation based on the suggestions flying around in this forum

1) Turn off VSYNC both in-game and in NVCP

2) Set DCS maxfps = 180 in graphics.lua (previously I was running with 100fps)

3) Set Max frame rate in NVCP to 1000 (just need to make sure it's > than maxfps = 180)

4) Revert NVIDIA driver back to 461.72

None of them fix the issue but I've been running with this since then.

The mission that I used for testing: JF-17 Syria quick mission "Intercept Convoy". At the start of the mission right after DCS 2.7 upgrade, fps was hovering around 60-80fps with 2x MSAA (which is bad for 2080ti).

Now it's a constant 100+ fps both SP and MP.

Untitled.png

Edited by applesinduck

Intel Core i5 2500K, 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Z68X-UD3-B3, GTX 1080 (ZOTAC International), SSD 850 EVO

Just now, -Relax- said:

Im confused as my eng not the best. So basicly step 1-4 is not relevant on your post as it not helped?

DCS unistall and NEW CLEAN install was the fix?

Happy it helped for you. I have dont it too. No change for me 😞

Since I didn't reinstall first then apply those steps later I can't really tell if any (or all) those steps contribute to the resolution of the problem or not. But it does somewhat align with other people findings (some people fixed the issue by alt+tab, playing around with VSYNC/GSYNC settings, etc. Hope it helps. Just keep trying.

Intel Core i5 2500K, 12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Z68X-UD3-B3, GTX 1080 (ZOTAC International), SSD 850 EVO

After about 20 hours of trying everything i read in the forums I'm finally giving up.
DCS looks beautiful in 2.7 but it's no longer playable for me in VR.
I remember I have had such a huge performance drop some time ago after a huge 2.5.x update.
ED slowly but surely fixed this (sort of) but it never became as good as it was before the update.
And here we go again... another performance drop which is about 30% on my system.
Add this to the performance drop of the said update from back then and you are at about 40-50% performance drop in a year and a half or so.
Sorry, ED, but this is unacceptable. Where is this going to end?
I don't wanna have a nuclear power station in my garden just to run DCS.
PLEASE devs do something to INCREASE the PERFORMANCE!!!
(My elephant-brain remembers every promise you made about performance-fixes over the past few years... ...so where are they?)

Edited by JumpinK
  • Like 2

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

On 4/14/2021 at 12:16 PM, flankerjun said:

I just fly a quick mission,which with no clouds,and have 90-110fps in 2.5,but now only 60-70fps

通过我的 V1955A 上的 Tapatalk发言

I know how you feel, I used to stay in the 90s easy, now with the same visuals I'm down to TWENTY EIGHT FPS! So any type of explosion or water animations are going to take it to the low teens.

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

Alright have done some quick settings tested on nvidia, but again no change.

To be honest after all this test´s i have done now (and i did all.. even i was sure it will bring nothing) i am tired of keep trying.

From start on i said its probably not on my/our end and i dont see why someelse tests could help. Re-install, settings in game and nvidia, drivers. all done.

But indeed its curious that some people get their performance from 2.5.6 back with this nvidia stuff and so on.

But i give up.

It is ED´s turn now.

Btw Clouds difference between low and ultra for me are like 2-5 (on ground start of my test mission clean sweep F-15c)

Water also now on low for me wich has bring few fps again like 2-4 (i had middle before)

Same for terrain textures 2-3 fps (low compare to ultra)  - In 2.5 i had uno differeince on fps beetween low and ultra.

So all in all this 3 settings bring me now from the test mission on ground a difference from ~67 fps to ~74

But again i know i repeating. Thats not what it should be go about here, to low all settings now to gain "some" performance back. 

I can live with some performance lost after "huge" 2.7 update with this effects, but not 30%

At least Multplayer was still flyable with drops to 45-50 fps (just quick tests with F-18), but when you fly PvP and want escape low fly it sucks actualy a little.

With F15 and S27 it drops more like to 55-57 fps wich is better but i didnt realy had a fight, so it maybe even get lower and then its not playable for me anymore in PvP case. Specialy on non flaming cliff module lie F18 or so.

I wonder how would perform the F16? I was actualyon way to buy it, and now there is a sale but iam worried if its actualy even more worse than the F18 in performance?

I realy hope ED can optimize again.

Even its not commong all 30% back,  bring maybe like 20% back, but i think it only a dream!?

15 minutes ago, JumpinK said:

After about 20 hours of trying everything i read in the forums I'm finally giving up.
DCS looks beautiful in 2.7 but it's no longer playable for me in VR.
I remember I have had such a huge performance drop some time ago after a huge 2.5.x update.
ED slowly but surely fixed this (sort of) but it never became as good as it was before the update.
And here we go again... another performance drop which is about 30% on my system.
Add this to the performance drop of the said update from back then and you are at about 40-50% performance drop in a year and a half or so.
Sorry, ED, but this is unacceptable. Where is this going to end?
I don't wanna have a nuclear power station in my garden just to run DCS.
PLEASE devs do something to INCREASE the PERFORMANCE!!!
(My elephant-brain remembers every promise you made about performance-fixes over the past few years... ...so where are they?)

I feel you!!

Edited by -Relax-

I don't know how useful this would be. But, before even if I selected the low graphic present,my FPS would not improve one bit. I've tried to change the weather to just clear sky, no effect. I've tried to run a mission with 0 unit count, still nothing. It will simply stay around 50-80fps. And no, it's not because there's fps limiter somewhere. This should help you to identify the symptom.

I did test the 461.72 as well. Gained 3-4 fps, but stabilty suffered with mission-loading crashes happening again. So it's "back/forward" to 466.11 for me. 

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I've tried everything I can think of, I really don't think I need to upgrade my hardware. I'm getting 60fps in xPlane with everything maxed and anti aliasing just short of max, LOTS of add on scenery, flying study level aircraft, and airport animations. There's nothing else I can think of to try for the frame loss. I hope they can optimize it, and I really hope something is figured out about the CTD when loading a second mission during a session.

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

The last thing I can do for myself is to uninstall the game and have it installed from the scratch.

That is going to cost me some time but I have already got used to spend more time on tweaking than actually playing the game...

Don't get me wrong ED, but I still remember about 60% gain in VR you promissed some time ago. Keeping my fingers crossed for that.

Thx!

Edited by yogipol
  • Like 2

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

I'm disappointed but, I've got faith in the devs, they seem to always get it straightened out.

Just finished reinstalling DCS from scratch. All the stutters are gone, frame rate is better than in 2.5.6. and I even gained some 80GB in sheer space on my SSD (apparently there were many leftover files from old DCS updates). I can definitely recommend everyone to reinstall their DCS, the effect is amazing.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

10 hours ago, zerO_crash said:

Just finished reinstalling DCS from scratch. All the stutters are gone, frame rate is better than in 2.5.6. and I even gained some 80GB in sheer space on my SSD (apparently there were many leftover files from old DCS updates). I can definitely recommend everyone to reinstall their DCS, the effect is amazing.

This only helps if something was f***ed up before the update. What about me? Did a fresh install for 2.7 because somehow I already knew that everything will be fine in terms of visuals but not performance wise. And damn was I right again. ED doesn't know how to improve visuals without destroying performance. Sorry, ED, but this is somewhat unacceptable for us who spent thousands of dollars/euros on our systems to play your combat simulator. This is the most frustrating part of DCS. As a VR-player you get kind of ignored by the devs.

• Like 4

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.