Are canopy reflections gone again with the new open beta patch 2.7?

Hi,

Just watched Wags' video on the new A10 Maverick behavior with the 2.7 patch and I noticed that all HUD and canopy reflections now seem to be absent.    Also, the cockpit gauges no longer appear to have reflective glass effects.    Can anyone confirm?   

Edited by Ballinger French

Can't speak for the Hog since I didn't fly it last night, but I did see the reflections in the Viper's canopy during my flight.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

The reflections are still there. ED introduced a new technology with the update to 2.7 called predictive ray tracing. It essentially allows the sim to pre calculate when a reflection should be shown based on a couple of different factors. So, no more permanent baked on reflections unless the right lighting conditions are met to allow the reflection to be seen. 

Edited by Repth
  • Like 1

In this case no, It doesn't require any of the newer cards. That's the beauty of it. Since it's already pre-calculated it doesn't rely on real time ray tracing technology at all. It gives the look and feel of ray tracing without the performance overhead. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ballinger French said:

Thank you guys.   Repth, a video card would obviously have to support ray tracing for this to take effect though, right?   My older Nvidia doesn't, unfortunately.   😡

Not sure what you're running but the reflections effect works on my old GTX 980.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Ok, my take on canopy reflections with the 2.7 patch:   There ARE some still, but they've now been apparently scaled back to about maybe 5 percent of what they were in the previous version of the Open Beta.   In fact, canopy reflections appear to not even be dynamic anymore and instead are now built into the 3D aircraft model.  Extremely unrealistic at present with the 2.7 open beta patch; the canopy is mostly a shader effect now like in a 1980s computer game.   I am going to venture to guess that with the DCS A-10 module being so old now that the 2.7 patch was geared to enhance all the newer sims with more modern rendering technology like the F-16 and F-18.   

The cockpit gauge reflections are the same as before and I see NO difference at all, in spite of 'predictive ray tracing' or whatever.   They are the same as before the patch (which isn't a bad thing).    

I will uninstall 2.7 completely and revert back to the latest non-beta version of DCS.    The old dog A10 apparently just isn't up for newer rendering technology.     

Edited by Ballinger French

Thank god they got rid of those WAY over done reflections.  Now I can get rid of the mods which corrected the arcade reflection effects we've suffered with.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• 6 months later...
On 4/19/2021 at 11:58 AM, Sarge55 said:

Thank god they got rid of those WAY over done reflections.  Now I can get rid of the mods which corrected the arcade reflection effects we've suffered with.

I'd be happier if they just gave an option under "Special", to turn them off like with the Hornet and Viper.

One less mod to jack with.

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark