Anyone done any testing with 2.7 and VR?

Lurker

So like the title says, I'm really interested in what people have found so far, because it seems my performance has gone up. Either the settings in-game have been "downtuned" (so I have to push them up to get the same performance I did before 2.7) or the engine has gotten better with offloading calculations on the graphics card. 

Would really like to see results from people who are into the hardcore tweaking\testing scene, or whether I'm just having some placebo moment 🙂

Specs:

i5-9600K @4.8Ghz

32GB Ram

RTX3090

Samsung Nvme M.2 SSD

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

i would say overall that the experience has now natively improved, and i am getting very similar performance to what i had with the shaders mod for 2.5.6, without MSAA (e.g. on my old 2.5.6 settings)

Edited by speed-of-heat
clarification
  • Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I made a lot of changes yesterday while i was waiting for the drop so I'm not sure what was 2.7 and what was some of my cleanup.

I forced decompression of ram, defragged, and moved DCS to a dedicated m2.nand SSD

I also haven't tested with many clouds since I ran into a ton of issues trying to get into MP and being shoved into Wonder Woman's invisible jet.

However,  apples to apples in instant action missions, there's some improvement in performance.  Not much, but honestly I was expecting a big hit so I'm happy so far.

One thing I REALLY like is the display mirror setting in the VR section.  Now you can pick an eye and use it to stream, which is awesome that I don't have to run a separate mirror in steam vr.

I have continued flying a campaign with the Hornet in 2.7 and not noticed any performance degradation. However I fly with Motion Smoothing on and forced at 45 fps. Still runs great for me at some pretty high graphics settings.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

i would say overall that the experience has now natively improved, and i am getting very similar performance to what i had with the shaders mod for 2.5.6

I agree. Just flown in all the terrains I have and from the Supercarrier. Absolutely zero performance degradation.

I have to say, apart from the clouds being fantastic (I can see but hardly notice the vertical shimmer on distant ones), it's the effect they have on the lighting of the terrain, particularly Syria, that really adds an atmospheric quality (no pun intended). I flew through a forested hilly region in Southern Turkey and it could have been a misty Amazon rainforest ! Water also looks more realistic to me, nit sure if that's cloud effect or if they've targetted it specifically.

Also, have you noticed the new sounds in the Hornet ? Rattling of the wheels on the Supercarrier catapult, Afterburner ?

How do you turn on the VR mask you mentioned ?

Edited by ShaunX

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

I’ll have to agree that the performance in Syria and flying the Tomcat seems to be slightly better for me. Now on my monitor holy cow if I can get my G2 that crisp I’ll quit my day job for sure. Eagle Dynamics did a superb job ! Although I had 2 crashes within 30 mins after the update, but after 3 hours of flying it never happened again. 
In fpsvr I’m running steamvr @80% and in the Tomcat over Syria my gpu graph is in the orange and the cloud slider at high, I think I may have to turn something down to stay in the green so may have to do some tweaking for that possible run steamvr @ 54-75%. Never got any stutters though and very smooth. Just seems like a new sim now and I’m loving it ! Great Job to E D for sure.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I'm loving the clouds but performance has taken a hit because I had to disable stereo mode and enable flat shadows. Changed G1 to 60Hz has given a little extra for the shadows.

So far...

• Clouds jitter (known issue)
  • stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true - causes smoke and some statics to strobe in left eye (Reverb G1)
  • Some smoke effects do not dissipate after expansion
  • Some graphic artifacts rendered in clouds
  • Distant cloud elements rotate with head rotation
  • Like 1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

1 hour ago, Dunx said:

I'm loving the clouds but performance has taken a hit because I had to disable stereo mode and enable flat shadows. Changed G1 to 60Hz has given a little extra for the shadows.

So far...

• Clouds jitter (known issue)
  • stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true - causes smoke and some statics to strobe in left eye (Reverb G1)
  • Some smoke effects do not dissipate after expansion
  • Some graphic artifacts rendered in clouds
  • Distant cloud elements rotate with head rotation

In which scenario are you flying please ? I have a G1 and my own flights using the  mission editor are good but only had a short time last night.

Dang I really need to do this shader thing that’s the only thing I’m lacking in SoH guide... kinda scared to be honest I’m not to tech savvy.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

My vocabulary lacks enough superlatives to describe this update . Incredible graphics , lighting AND better performance ? Yeah , i'll take that . 

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

vor einer Stunde schrieb jimiC:

haven't been able to effectively fly in 2.7 in VR because the option for mouse to remain within game window no longer works and alt-enter to full screen results in 2FPS

The Option is copied over to the normal settings, seems the VR option just left there without function.

Option in the standard settings tab works like before.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, JanRalle said:

The Option is copied over to the normal settings, seems the VR option just left there without function.

Option in the standard settings tab works like before.

i've managed a workaround but it requires (forces) me to use the desktop resolution to render the game on the monitor at the same resolution which previously i didnt do to try and save any spare FPS i could. I still believe the normal settings re full screen and mouse inside window  (not vr tab) are not working as they were previously.

now onto the visuals... FPS is about the same but its more stable for me. less flucuation. The clouds are... meh.... blurry and amorphous. not sure if its a setting im missin somewhere , i have it set to ultra and i have PD 1x with my steamvr supersampling at 150% in a vive pro.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Burt said:

Dang I really need to do this shader thing that’s the only thing I’m lacking in SoH guide... kinda scared to be honest I’m not to tech savvy.

If you get youself a copy of a mod manager it takes all of the risk out of it. Once it's set up it's one click to install a mod and one click removes it

I use OvGME. Get it here https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/OVGME. Good instructions there too.

Once installed you'll want to set up 2 seperate profiles - one will be used for mods that go in your saved games\DCS folder and the other one for mods (such as the shaders mod we're talking about) which go in your DCS installation folder.

To add a mod to OvGME is just has to be in the correct folder structure. The one that @Woona created..

..is already in that structure so just needs to be unzipped and copied to your OvGME mods folder and will appear in the OvGME list of mods when you run it. Make sure you put it in the mods folder for the profile that points at the DCS installation.

Once you've used it once I guarantee you'll use it for all your mods.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

54 minutes ago, freehand said:

In which scenario are you flying please ? I have a G1 and my own flights using the  mission editor are good but only had a short time last night.

I created a small mission in Caucasus and tested each type of cloud, then I spent several hours in AO sitting at Kob.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

5 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

i would say overall that the experience has now natively improved, and i am getting very similar performance to what i had with the shaders mod for 2.5.6

Same.

Was happy to realize the fholger ReShade still works.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

For me in an unmodded Install with 8700K & 1080 performace tanked.
from 60fps ish (Index running at 120Hz) I'm now seeing 40 on free flight missions.
(in addition to flickers and aliasing of the clouds).

I've touched nothing in the settings. I'll try reset FXO/Metashaders and maybe lower the clouds a bit more. 

is there a way to make sure there are no leftovers of the shadr mod installed? because on login I got a blue mask like the black one shader mod used to make.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, uri_ba said:

because on login I got a blue mask like the black one shader mod used to make.

For the record I'm on an Index as well, and my mask is black. It sounds like you've got something unsual in your build. Give DCS a complete scan repair, including scanning for and removing extra files. Remember to backup any mods you might cherish.

13 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

To add a mod to OvGME is just has to be in the correct folder structure. The one that @Woona created..

I appreciate the notion but all I did was register conflicting files until the build was functional. Kegetys has done all the real work here so I'd rather keep it in his name. Just don't wanna inadvertently step on anyone's feet here.

5 minutes ago, Woona said:

For the record I'm on an Index as well, and my mask is black. It sounds like you've got something unsual in your build. Give DCS a complete scan repair, including scanning for and removing extra files. Remember to backup any mods you might cherish.

I appreciate the notion but all I did was register conflicting files until the build was functional. Kegetys has done all the real work here so I'd rather keep it in his name. Just don't wanna inadvertently step on anyone's feet here.

point taken sorry.

You know, I'm wondering... Kegetys is definately currently active on his own website but hasn't posted or responded in the DCS forum for nearly a year..then a very similar VR Mask shows up in 2.7. Hmmm...

Edited by ShaunX

After runnnig a full repair (I had stock install anyway, so nothing has changed).
removal of Metashaders and FXO. I'm still seeing 40fps (down from 60). more bizarre, I had always had 120FPS in the menu now it's fluctuating between 100 and 120.

I've tried my settings. as well as VR preset with now difference.

(Viper Caucasus Free-flight and M2K Caucasus Guns, guns, guns missions were tested - I just spawned in and that's what I got)

as for the blue around the mask, it seems to be the skybox and base water. that's why it was blue.

Only folks with 3090 seem to report increased performance, so I wonder if it's a VRAM issue.

12 minutes ago, uri_ba said:

Only folks with 3090 seem to report increased performance, so I wonder if it's a VRAM issue.

3080 here, my performance in vanilla 2.7 is as good as 2.5.6 with the most performant shaders. I don't think we can accurately or consistently blame VRAM factors on this one, I see others with 20-series GPUs doing both better and worse. I'm not sure what's causing the inconsistency but I'm sure the devs are on top of it.

14 minutes ago, uri_ba said:

as for the blue around the mask, it seems to be the skybox and base water. that's why it was blue.

Regardless of what's around you, it should always be black. 

Well skybox is definatly showing 🙂

I've updated Drivers and PrecisionX. looks like something there got screwed up as my card power limit dropped to 50%...
bringing it back up to 108% card's maximum broght the FPS back up most of the time. when you hug a cloud it still drops to 40. but waay better now..

Anyway, still waiting on 3080 to be back in stock somewhere in a reasonable price...

and balck was the Shader Mod way of things. this seems different.

Edited by uri_ba