How do I remove the baked in reflections in cockpit, they look terrible in VR?

Lurker

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Zeagle said:

I guess you guys wouldn't like to fly in the real thing then...

IRL reflections are not as visible as in game or on videos, because they are out of focus. You kind of look "through" them, like you do with dirt on your glasses. The dashboard of your car is reflected in your windscreen too, but in most circumstances you don't notice it unless you focus on it. Same with canopy reflections.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

IRL reflections are every bit as visible as in-game, maybe more so at night. You cannot compare the reflections on a curved canopy to your car windshield. They are not the same. And they are definitely not like dirt on your glasses...lol 

Honestly, I don't think any amount of evidence will convince you that the sim is actually less "reflective" than the real world.  I have many hours of flight time in the real world and I think ED did a good job. Personally, I don't want to fly an arcade jet with perfectly clear windows.

l39-fighter-jet-cockpit-view-700.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I can't tell if those pilots are wearing polarized sunglasses, but I'm pretty sure the instant compact camera didn't have one.

I believe sunglasses have been requested which would remove most of the reflections.

EDIT: fixed age related mistake

Edited by Dunx

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

The difference between real world and dcs is that some of these as baked in and do not change at all. So you are seeing some overly visible static textures that stand out too much. 

• Like 2

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

3 hours ago, Zeagle said:

IRL reflections are every bit as visible as in-game, maybe more so at night. You cannot compare the reflections on a curved canopy to your car windshield. They are not the same. And they are definitely not like dirt on your glasses...lol 

Honestly, I don't think any amount of evidence will convince you that the sim is actually less "reflective" than the real world.  I have many hours of flight time in the real world and I think ED did a good job. Personally, I don't want to fly an arcade jet with perfectly clear windows.

l39-fighter-jet-cockpit-view-700.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The fact, that you are trying to prove your point with pictures shows clearly, that you didn’t understand my point at all.

And windscreens are curved, too. The physics (optical effects) are exactly the same… 

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I just flew the L-39 and I don't see an issue. Maybe the reflections could be more detailed. But I think they are done well. 

Reflections typically fade in and out. They don't usually change much. They just get brighter or dimmer. And the DCS ones do move a bit. I observed that in the gunsight in the L-39C.

And whomever said that the gunsight was useless was totally exaggerating. The tiny reflections in the gunsight barely influence anything. I like the way the reflections show up at times.

Your car windshield is different material with a dark interior due to the car shell. It doesn't reflect as much. Also, you don't have thick glass for a hud  or gunsight in your car (at least I hope not). 

Are you using VR or not? Most people who fly in VR instantly notice that it looks terrible and unrealistic because they don't move like real reflections, and they don't look like real reflections. Again, it's especially noticeable in VR. I have both VR and (obviously) flat screen, and VR is markedly worse. I also fly for a living IRL, and IRL you just move you head, or focus past the reflection, or change the lighting conditions with cockpit shade screens, or something like that. The baked in reflections are much worse than in real life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I showed images and videos. I don't know what else to say. People generally turn down graphic settings to improve VR performance. I think your VR problems might be due to your graphic settings. Those reflections are pretty low-res to begin with. 

So, my take is this. If you have to run lower graphic settings to use VR, and then things look bad, well that's on you. It looks fine at higher res.

17 minutes ago, Zeagle said:

Well, I showed images and videos. I don't know what else to say. People generally turn down graphic settings to improve VR performance. I think your VR problems might be due to your graphic settings. Those reflections are pretty low-res to begin with. 

So, my take is this. If you have to run lower graphic settings to use VR, and then things look bad, well that's on you. It looks fine at higher res.

It has nothing to do with the resolution. It is the fact that the reflections are a part of the texture of the cockpit and not actual reflections. It is as if a reverse copy of the cockpit interior is painted directly on the glass. This effect does not represent the real behavior of glass reflections, and as was mentioned earlier, is instantly recognizable by the human brain as "fake" when in VR.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

On 1/21/2022 at 4:32 PM, Zeagle said:

Did you have a car ? If yes, just take a look on reflection on windshield.

Are they on the glass

? No, they look behind it, with their depth beeing the distance from the windshield. On DCS, all reflections are like transparent stickers on the glass. That's really unrealistic, the brain part in charge of building the picture of the world can barelly accept it, it's almost shoking. The opposite of what VR should be : instead of creating immersion it destroy it. No reflection is far far better than reflection done in this way.

But why am I arguing with you ? Due to what you wrote below, it's obvious that you know better than VR player what we should see, even if you never put your nose into a VR Helmet in DCS....

• Like 2

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

The whole argument is moot. ED has already implemented much more realistic dynamic reflections system which is being used in newer modules and that would solve the issue discussed in this thread.

It's just L-39 is one of the old, low priority modules that haven't been updated yet. 

Edited by some1
  • Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Until ED fixes all of the modules that have the old horrible reflections, it isn't moot. With the continuously changing nature of the DCS World core game engine, it shouldn't be a problem to expect that modules that are still for sale and theoretically fully supported be compliant with the graphics standards for the current patch level. Otherwise, they are communicating that it is unwise to buy/fly anything but the latest modules that are fully compatible.

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I meant is that arguing that the current baked-in reflection are realistic is moot. Sooner or later, they will be removed.

• Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro