Tobii integration

Vortex7

First of all I d like to say that ED has done a great job with 2.7 and the results are astonishing. Thank you for that!

I d like to request for you to consider - time allowing -, getting in bed with Tobii and integrating their gadget into the game. 

So far only workarounds let us use it, and never as stable and smooth as when using any track ir device.

Please give it a thought, because its a really cool gadget and when working properly ( like in Star Citizen where its already integrated ) 

its immersive and frees you up from having to wear anything on your head.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Vortex7
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2021 at 1:58 AM, bfeld said:

What are the workarounds? Tobii 5 worked perfectly in 2.5.6, but it just won't detect 2.7 for me.

I ve used ghost with no playable results, then I tried all kinds of tweaks having Factracknoir in the middle and I got a little further, but still no good. At least not that smooth and steady like the response I get from Delan clip with Opentrack, which is fast and smooth. I mean its either jumpy, or laggy..When I look at lets say the lower left cockpit and zoom in, I cant hit any knob or button cause it jumps a lot..All these problems were there when I started with Delan clip and Opentrack, but filters like Accela did the job and made it work like a charm..Acella is live in Facetrack too but its another version and doesnt cut it..I ve also contacted Tobii about it, and they said that ED should do their magic like CIG where now in Star Citizen it works perfectly.

Edited by Vortex7

• 4 months later...
Am 17.4.2021 um 15:38 schrieb Vortex7:

I ve used ghost with no playable results, then I tried all kinds of tweaks having Factracknoir in the middle and I got a little further, but still no good. At least not that smooth and steady like the response I get from Delan clip with Opentrack, which is fast and smooth. I mean its either jumpy, or laggy..When I look at lets say the lower left cockpit and zoom in, I cant hit any knob or button cause it jumps a lot..All these problems were there when I started with Delan clip and Opentrack, but filters like Accela did the job and made it work like a charm..Acella is live in Facetrack too but its another version and doesnt cut it..I ve also contacted Tobii about it, and they said that ED should do their magic like CIG where now in Star Citizen it works perfectly.

sadly i got the same issiu. i really whant to use the Tobii. But in the moment im thinking of sending it back. Its not enjoyable now.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been Running with the Tobii 5 with minimal issues, I don't really use the eye tracking, Moreso just the head tracking, and after dialing it in, it works fine. Occasionally the tobii software will lose track of the window if I'm tabbing in and out, but you just have to switch it off and on again in the Tobii software and it works again. 

+1

i7-9700K / 64Gb / 3080 FE / OS on 500GB M2 / Games on 1000GB M2 / LG C1 48" / Reverb G2 / Warthog Hotas & Monstertech / TrackiR 5 Clip / Tobii 5 / ButtKicker & JetPad / Os: Win11 Pro Dev / SimShaker / VoiceA. / VIaCom Pro / Srs

• 5 weeks later...

Has ED said anything at all about integrating Tobii in DCS?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Well, look here for the MAIN issue I had with Tobii before I sent it back.  The 'Precise Movement' section at 6'50".

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 months later...

That is not my experience.  I returned mine months ago, but I borrowed one from a friend this weekend and tried again.

I see the exact same juddering when head is rock steady in MSFS as I do in DCS.  I have tried a zillion combinations on settings as well.

10 hours ago, imacken said:

That is not my experience.  I returned mine months ago, but I borrowed one from a friend this weekend and tried again.

I see the exact same juddering when head is rock steady in MSFS as I do in DCS.  I have tried a zillion combinations on settings as well.

Quite. The thing about horribly old solutions like TrackIR is that, being horribly old. they've had a lot of time to mature — both in hardware and in software. Tobii isn't quite there yet, and that's especially true for the headtracking feature. While you can get around some of it by tweaking the hell out of third-party solutions, the underlying tech is still not quite there yet.

What I noticed before I made the same decision as you and shelved it in favour of older but more reliable and tweakable solutions is that a lot of it seems to come down to range — I could get it to track pretty darn well if I was close enough to the sensor to have my face lit up properly by the LEDs, but if I were that close, I could no longer sit far enough from the table to use my controls properly. Hell, I could barely fit my keyboard between my monitor and the table edge… 😄

It feels like a lot of this is stuff that could be fixed in a few more hardware and software iterations (the software in particular needs to stop trying to be “easy” and look good, and instead actually allow for proper hardware control), and since Tobii doesn't live or die by its game peripherals there's some hope for the future.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧