Database modding

With the recent change to DCS 2.7 it's clear that all of the lua files that were located under \Scripts\Database have been integrated and are no longer available for editing.

This has had the affect of rendering any mod that relied on altering these files inoperative.

Examples of such mods include:

Extended call signs.

Logbooks, such as USN, USMC or other countries.

Aircraft adjustments

Weapons adjustments

and more.

The reason mods used these files is because attempting to edit them via the saved games was ignored and had no affect.

Is there any method now to edit certain items in the former database files?  A saved games file structure that would still override the main folder?

For example:  The Extended call signs mod had two parts....a bunch of sound files which work fine from saved games and a modification of the former db_callnames.lua to add the new call signs.  As you know there are a very limited number of call signs in DCS by default.  How can those modifications to db_callnames be accomplished under 2.7?

Any help would be welcome.  I'd love to hear from an ED rep.

Thank you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I hope these files aren't encrypted now as well. Otherwise I too hope they revert this change and allow us access to these files again.

Unless they are placed elsewhere now but I couldn't find them yet.

It seems adding a vehicle to a certain country is impossible now, or removing pylons for certain aircraft.

Edited by Texac
  • Like 3

Yeah, I was also looking for the \Scripts\Database\Troops\usa.lua as my squadron has vanished from the logbook now.

I really hope ED will give us the ability to modify this again via the Saves Games folder then.

Mud

• Like 1
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

No official explanation or alternative that I am aware.  This is actually what bothers me the most, some sort of explanation would be more than warranted. I don’t want to level too much criticism at this point, this might just be an oversight, as it did happen in the past. 

• Like 2

I too am really hoping for an alternative.  ED has sated in the past that they are not in favor of modified files in the main folder.  And there are valid reasons for that.  At one point shortly after or at the release of 2.5.6 they had locked down all of the files.  Things like the F16C.lua and F18C.lua files.  There was a discussion then about it that I remember.  And it was pointed out that having those files in the saved games was ignored then, along with many other mods.  

They did relent on that and allowed access back to those files and we still have access today with 2.7.  So....we can be grateful for that.

I do sincerely hope that they allow us access back to at least *some* of the database files.  If they want to restrict the weapons, fine...I get that.  But please let us have access back to the other aircraft lua's that were in planes, the callsigns and countries and troops.   That would allow a lot of mods to continue to function.

I know we could stay on the old version 2.5.6 and all of these mods still work.  But....that's not really an option for multiple reasons.  Besides, after seeing the new clouds and damage effects....there's no way I could back.

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 3:37 PM, Nightstorm said:

With the recent change to DCS 2.7 it's clear that all of the lua files that were located under \Scripts\Database have been integrated and are no longer available for editing.

This has had the affect of rendering any mod that relied on altering these files inoperative.

Examples of such mods include:

Extended call signs.

Logbooks, such as USN, USMC or other countries.

Aircraft adjustments

Weapons adjustments

and more.

The reason mods used these files is because attempting to edit them via the saved games was ignored and had no affect.

Is there any method now to edit certain items in the former database files?  A saved games file structure that would still override the main folder?

For example:  The Extended call signs mod had two parts....a bunch of sound files which work fine from saved games and a modification of the former db_callnames.lua to add the new call signs.  As you know there are a very limited number of call signs in DCS by default.  How can those modifications to db_callnames be accomplished under 2.7?

Any help would be welcome.  I'd love to hear from an ED rep.

Thank you!

They are slowly shutting off all modding options in DCS.

• Like 2

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

45 minutes ago, damienntrix said:

the death of the modder for dcs is near

I truly hope this isn't the case.  I know when asked, ED has said that they support the modding community.  When changes like this are made without notice or explanation though, it does cast doubt on that assertion. One of the aspects I love about DCS is the ability to mod it and add new content etc.

I have to agree I think community modding is near death.  I personally don't see any reason to restrict access to these files.  I understand some potential issues with online flying (I personally never fly online), but that is easily solved with IC checks, so I don't see what the issue is.  I do also understand tech support problems with modded games, but again all ED should do is make it clear that they will not support modded game.  Not sure where this is all going, but I do hope that ED will at least give us an explanation.

• Like 1

Well here's one *work around* for the loss of access to the \Scripts\Database\planes folder and contents.

While you can't assign weapons as selectable via the loadout screen any longer you can still edit the loadouts.

For example I've been testing part of the F-22 mod with a file that adds a few missiles.  AIM-120A, AIM-120C-7 and AIM-120D for example.

I was using these on the F-15C.  The avionics support them and they are useable.  So I tried creating loadouts for the F-15C.lua in one of two locations. 

You can use the saved games location:  \MissionEditor\UnitPayloads\

Or the main folder location:  \MissionEditor\data\scripts\UnitPayloads\

I added these missiles to the F-15C and the payloads are selectable in the loadout screen and they do equip the missiles.  If you remove one you can't add it back of course as these missiles are not in the now hidden F-15C.lua that was in \planes.

One thing I noted is that the wing pylons on the F-15 wouldn't show up unless there was a "valid" store equipped.  For example, if I tried to mount four AIM-9X missiles on the wings, the missiles were there but the rails and pylons were not.  They were just hovering under the wing.  Not cool.  But....if you either add an AIM-120B, or AIM-120C-5 or a fuel tank, the remaining station(s) can have whatever you want.  So I was able to mount two 9X's on the wings so long as I mounted a fuel tank too.

I would imagine this will work for any other aircraft too.  There are 69 different aircraft lua files in the main folder location.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nero.ger said:

ED tried for months to steer away from modifiying the CORE files cause people potentialy fuck up thier DCS and probably clog up the support. Or lead to issues that are very hard to track. down. And everytime they implement something, people get around it and STILL fiddle around with files they shouldnt, so this isnt really unexpected

Yes, I can certainly understand that.  And their stance all along has been that they don't support mods or a modified game.  One of their first questions has always been "Do you have any mods installed?"  Followed by, "Let us see your log file."  Which of course would show if you have any mods installed.

Personally it's not that I want to modify the core files, I'd just like to find a way to have these types of mods function.  I'd be perfectly content to have them work from the saved games folder.

In the end though, it is what it is.  If they choose to lock down the files then there's not much we can do about it beyond what's already been said.  And at least we can still modify some things.  I do hope though, that they do in fact continue to appreciate what the modding community can and has done for the game.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vCSG3 Bloat 203 said:

It would be fantastic to have the ability to implement mods using the database. We were really enjoying our callsigns mod until 2.7... :<

Yea, that's the one I miss the most.  I was using extended call signs in every mission I have.   I'd really like to see a list with much more variety.   It worked well enough, just integrate the mod into the game.  I mean the voice wasn't an *exact* match to everything but it really was close enough.

• Like 1

Seems like we have some (perhaps all) of it back now in 2.7.0.5118 as at least the \DCS World\Scripts\Database\Troops folder with all the countries is back.

Edited by Mud
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

We could guess, as to why the files were removed, and keep asking to restore all of the files from the Database folder until we got them all back.

Or we wouldn't have to ask for each .lua to be restored, if we could simply get an answer or explanation as to why they aren't available anymore.

• Like 1

In the newsletter they said it would be due to people cheating in online servers with enhanced missiles

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

"On popular demand we have locked the LUA files relating to weapon systems"

Been a member here for more than 10 years and I dont remember anyone asking for this. I can't find a single thread on the subject either.

I never thought I'd witness the collapse of 2 parallel universes into one. What a weird experience...

Edited by Eight Ball
  • Like 3

I'm not too far into the modding side of DCS, but I haven't seen anyone asking to lock all these lua files directly either. 

It was popular demand in the sense to stop users from abuse and cheating in Multiplayer.

But this can't be a permanent solution to this problem.

It's not a solution the vast majority of the community wanted to see implemented like that. Since single players need to be respected as well which don't take any benefit from this at all.

• Like 2