2.7 Clouds look blurry/ wobbly/ jelly - like in VR, as if out of focus on a camera.

That's mentioned as part of the "Known Issues" in the patch release notes, so ED is well aware. 

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

6 minutes ago, rrohde said:

That's mentioned as part of the "Known Issues" in the patch release notes, so ED is well aware. 

Where is that mentioned? Can't find it in the "known issues". There is only mentioning of the jittering clouds in VR.

Have the feeling that they seem to stuck at low quality because maybe that's the only way to go in VR atm.

The same thing happens in No mans sky, where the clouds look way more blurry in VR than in 2d despite the same highest graphic settings. Maybe it's a similar technology.

As I said I could live with that, still is an improvement to the clouds we had so far. The jittering affects me way more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

Yes the edges are too soft in VR at the moment.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

5 minutes ago, cellinsky said:

I think its by design to keep frames high. Sill looking cool though. For sure will improve along with cloud shadows.

I'd like to have the option at least of how detalied I'd want them in VR. One can always sacrifice other settings to get more quality on an specific effect.

Edited by Jafergon
typo
  • Like 3

Yes, the clouds don't look good at all in VR. It's just a blurry mess, no details at all. Doesn't look at all like the 2D promotional clips. Even the old sprite clouds looked better, as long as you weren't turning your head. I am very disappointed, and really hope this gets fixed soon.

• Like 4

The clouds of 2.7 are much better than the rotating half-eye-rendered puffs of 2.5.6 was, but they are only "a promising start" right now in VR.

Some feedback:

• low resolution (blockiness) at the half-transparent edges of the clouds, it's much worse in external views than in cockpit
  • heavy aliasing, vertical jittering and low resolution at distant clouds - but the 2D mirrored image and screenshots do NOT reflect these artifacts, the mirrored image is perfect, so the issue only affects the HMD
  • the whole cloud layer jitters vertically and at the edges of terrain/clouds separation some white aliased pixels can be seen
  • the gamma should be dialed from 2.0 to 1.7 for my liking to have better details in clouds
  • Reverb G2 here, PD 1.0, SteamVR 50%, GTX 1070 (457.30), i7 10700k, 32 GB, Win10 20H2 (19042.928)

Looking for the next hotfix. :)

Keep up the hard work guys, this version will be phenomenal!

• PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

I am having precisely the same issues as reported above, especially the blurriness and jittering (looks like the sky is disconnected from the land and moves around a lot even at Ultra setting). I’m also on a Reverb G2.

edit: tried it in 2D - completely gorgeous! Great work ED.

Edited by rag48
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, cellinsky said:

I think its by design to keep frames high. Sill looking cool though. For sure will improve along with cloud shadows.

On my 4K monitor the difference between LOW and ULTRA clouds is only 5fps. I doubt the impact would be much bigger in VR.

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

Gents, I do agree, there are still some issues but after 2 decades following and playing DCS ... these clouds are just great, we can forget these flickering dancing chunks. 
I have finally feeling flying between cloud layers,  one can hide in between., you can see how clouds influencing ground shadows and light conditions. wonderful feature is when slowly climbing through cloud layer how cockpit and instrument lightning works....great.
 Aerial combat in DCS is finally going to be much more realistic. Expect of AIs. These still can see very well even through the cloud S😂

Edited by cmeliak

Steel Hotas Warthog + Hoffmans F16 rudders, Oculus Rift S, EVGA RTX3090, Core i7 4790K

Hangar: Ka50, A10C, A10A, A10CII, SU27, SU33, SU25, Av8BNA, Bf109K4, F16C, F86, FA18C, FW190D9, i-16, L39C, Mi8, MiG15, MiG19P, MiG21, P51D, Spitfire, SuperCarrier, Yak52, P47, F14, Mi24P, Me262?

Flying over CAU, NEV, NORM, SYR, CHNL, PER, ATL

2 minutes ago, cmeliak said:

Gents, I do agree, there are still some issues but after 2 decades following and playing DCS ... these clouds are just great. I have finally feeling flying between cloud layers,  one can hide in between., you can see how clouds influencing ground shadows and light conditions. wonderful feature is when slowly climbing through cloud layer how cockpit and instrument lightning works....great.
 Aerial combat in DCS is finally going to be much more realistic. Expect of AIs. These still can see very well even through the cloud S😂

The old clouds were pretty much 2 decades old AFAIK. Still remember them from the good old LockOn days... 😉 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

1 hour ago, Canada_Moose said:

You have missed the point of this thread completely......

You have missed the point of my post completely. The person I replied to thinks we cannot change clouds to ULTRA in VR because our computers would not handle it. 

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

10 minutes ago, luisdasot said:

Ey!! I am new, how i can upload photos in the forum from the pc??? Thankss

When you reply there should be a Drag files option under where you are typing your response (see attached - I have dark mode on)

Drag filesjpg.jpg

Edited by hornblower793

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Interesting thing I noted this afternoon, the cloud shaking for me at least seems to be directly linked to minute movements of the headset.

I had my Quest 2 on my desk this afternoon after tinkering with a few settings to try and get them stable as some YouTubers have commented that they do not experience any shaking in VR and saw that on the desktop, the clouds didn't shake in the reprojection. I took my phone and attempted to compare the view through the lens to that on the desktop and noticed that they were not shaking on the image on my phone either and thought I'd struck lucky with some tweak I'd made.

I put the headset back on, and they were shaking...

I took the headset off then, removed the head strap and effectively clamped it to the edge of my desk. Moved my eyes up to the lenses and no Shaking! Now I'm off to the hardware store to get some really strong glue to fix my head in place so it can't move and I too can enjoy the clouds in VR in DCS with no wobble 😜

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]