Did 2.7 bring FM changes?

Donut
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

The reason I ask is that in the following post dated Feb. 17, Wags mentioned the FM being updated in the next Open Beta... 

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/165047-hornet-mini-updates/?do=findComment&comment=4575378

Maybe it just didn't make it in this patch.

Edited by N0430BM

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I only have a few hours in the Hornet after the last patch, but my subjective qualitative assessment is that the jet feels less draggy than before. More data needed, so take that with a healthy bit of skepticism.

So far I like this Hornet better. It definitely sounds better, that much is certain.

• ED Team
  • Solution

Hi, 

some drag values have been adjusted but no flight model adjustments yet. A flight model review is being done.

thank you

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

some drag values have been adjusted but no flight model adjustments yet. A flight model review is being done.

thank you

Roger that BIGNEWY and thank you for the info.  I look forward to taking the Hornet up tomorrow and seeing if the new drag values have any effect on performance.  I believe it has been mentioned around here that the DCS Hornet is a bit draggy/slow to accelerate compared to real life.  Looking forward to the results of the FM review!

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

thank you

Just curious, are the drag coefficients not considered part of the flight model?  If not, then what does "flight model" include, because I have been thinking of it wrong.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

1 minute ago, Tholozor said:

Drag coefficients in this instance may pertain to weapon racks and ordnance, which aren't necessarily part of the aircraft's FM.

Fair enough. Just depends where you choose to draw that boundary. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

10 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

thank you

Does this include engine response model? There was a thread here recently, full of sources that pointed out that it is, in fact, very fast, unlike what we have.

• Like 1

It felt a big "heavier" at times so definitely there were some changes with drag

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Don't forget the engine spool times at lower altitudes are off by 250% compared to the real F-404! This must be fixed also as part of the FM changes!

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• ED Team
1 hour ago, bkthunder said:

Don't forget the engine spool times at lower altitudes are off by 250% compared to the real F-404! This must be fixed also as part of the FM changes!

have you posted evidence for your claims on the forum? I must have missed it.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

have you posted evidence for your claims on the forum? I must have missed it.

• Like 5

Windows 7 Professional x64, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB,

Intel Xeon W5650(i7) @ 4.1ghz, Asus P6TWS motherboard, 24gb DDR3, 500GB SSD.

Hybrid joystick(Base: Saitek X55 - Grip:CH Fighterstick), Saitek X55 throttle, Saitek ruder pedals.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 11:10 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

thank you

Thanks, highly appreciated! And please also have a look at the rolling behaviour - while moving on the carrier deck, the Hornet often slides over the front wheels straight ahead or even moves in the opposite direction (esp. when high gain steering is engaged) - thanks!

9 hours ago, jetsimace said:

No, there is definitely something wrong with the mechanics - please see https://drive.google.com/file/d/12t1xpvb91cgPa4tu3giTl52Ev1v80smW/view
(video taken from an older version, but this issue still persists in DCS 2.7)

How are the wheels supposed to roll like that? Get rolling forward, then turn, that video isn't an outright bug. Try riding a bike where you turn the handlebars perpendicular to you and start pedaling.

3 hours ago, Toastman said:

Just wish we had a official SuperHornet !

Bluh... no. Fat, draggy, disproportioned, slower, and all around disappointing compared to the Legacy. I'll take less fuel and more of a chance of departure over the ugly Super any day! 😀

• Like 3

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

On 5/8/2021 at 7:26 AM, irish_luck said:

How are the wheels supposed to roll like that? Get rolling forward, then turn, that video isn't an outright bug. Try riding a bike where you turn the handlebars perpendicular to you and start pedaling.

That might be a workaround, I agree. But that's not the point: the plane should not be moving like that, so the mechanics are not implemented as they should be. 

6 hours ago, jetsimace said:

That might be a workaround, I agree. But that's not the point: the plane should not be moving like that, so the mechanics are not implemented as they should be. 

You may be exceeding the friction limit on the tires. If you apply less thrust does it still under steer? I have experienced what you're showing, but at lower thrust and lower speed I am able to control the jet quite precisely with high gain NWS. 

On 5/9/2021 at 5:14 PM, Machalot said:

You may be exceeding the friction limit on the tires. If you apply less thrust does it still under steer? I have experienced what you're showing, but at lower thrust and lower speed I am able to control the jet quite precisely with high gain NWS. 

I think the friction limit of the front tires is way too low (even under dry and non-freezing conditions) - as if the deck would be very slippery or being covered with blackice.