Won't update from 2.5.6. to 2.7

Hi there,

After running DCS_updater.exe, my computer downloaded what I thought was 2.7 which was around 7GB and installed it. After the install ran DCS and it said 2.5.6. and got stuck on a blank page and won't open just stuck at the blank page.

I've rebooted a few times that didn't help.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thx

Windows Version 1909 OS build 18363.1500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800x

RAM: 32GB 3200
GPU: MSI Radeo RX580 8GB

Edited by fasteddie1

Hi thanks so much for your help but same thing I opened the DCS-updater.exe properties and under compatibility tab I put a checkmark next to 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8 but no luck.

Right after the DCS logo shows and the version 2.5.6. it goes to a blank screen and stays there.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by fasteddie1

You dcs.log file is old (June 2020) and from the open beta.

=== Log opened UTC 2020-06-11 21:57:31
2020-06-11 21:57:30.906 INFO    DCS: Command line: "E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin/DCS.exe"

Your autoupdate_log.txt file shows you successfully updated your stable/release version recently:

00000.331 --- Log file: E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\autoupdate_log.txt
00000.000 === Log opened UTC 2021-04-15 02:52:09
00000.277 INFO : DCS_Updater/2.10.6.63 (Windows NT 10.0.18363; Win64; en-CA)
00000.277 INFO : src-id: baf92d0a5bb967be5dcb68784e54459d083e8c3d, lib-id: bae3744c50d64647d7c5ee5a1236d3ae42dbbb1e
00000.277 INFO : cmdline: "E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe" --apply update C:\Users\media\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\update_info.json 2.5.6.61527.3
00000.329 STATUS: Initializing...
00000.329 INFO : basedir: E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World
00000.332 INFO : DCS/2.5.6.52437 

You need to update your open beta to access 2.7.

1. Go to "E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin"
  2. Launch DCS_updater.exe

Edited by Flappie
June, not November

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Yes when I first ran DCS_updater.exe it did download around 7Gb's and then installed it but after that when I started it up the DCS logo came up along with the version 2.5.6., see attached, and gets stuck on that screen without anything happening. 

DCS 2.5.6.JPG

Since you come to DCS splash screen, you should have a recent dcs.log file somewhere in your computer. The one you attached earlier is from June 2020 and is tagged open beta.

The update lof you posted shows the stable version. So I think you're trying to start the stable branch of DCS. Please attach this file:

• C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Logs\dcs.log (it may appear as "dcs")

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Thanks I got it fixed by running the 'Switching_to_openbeta.bat' in DCS root directory and it downloaded and successfully upgraded to version 2.7.

It seems that I wasn't running the Open beta after but the stable version and 'Switching_to_openbeta.bat' successfully updated it to Openbeta.

Thanks again for your help

Hello, 

I am having the same issue, stuck at ver. 2.5.6 and cant update to 2.7.

I downloaded the new version of dcs updater from a link Flappie attached at another topic. That didnt make a change.

I read from this topic and from some others that runing 'Switching_to_openbeta.bat' can solve the problem but i dont have it in my directory.

As a matter of fact, i dont have a 'DCS World OpenBeta' folder, i just have DCS World folder.

So before i erase and reinstall everything, i am hoping to solve this issue.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thnx, 

Serkan

NOTE : I couldn't decide between opening a new topic and continue from this one so i am trying my chance here first :) I can go open a new topic if you advice me to do... 

You can only update to 2.7 if you have an Open Beta installation of DCS.

If you have a stable DCS install, it will not update to 2.7 because it's not Open Beta. This version will stay on 2.5.6 for now.

If you want to have a peek at 2.7 Open Beta you have a few option:

- Install a new DCS version along side your stable version, this way you still have stable to fall back to if an Open Beta update goes really belly up.

- Convert your current stable install into an Open Beta. You only have an Open Beta version then.

- Use Skatezilla's wonderfull update/launcher tool to create and control various versions:

To create a second (or more) copy's of DCS and have one converted to Open Beta (or Stable for that matter), you can copy your current install to a new location and update that copy to the version you want. The tool above is just great to do this.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hi Lange_666

thnx for your quick reply, 

Yes i was guessing similar about my issue and being lazy to do new installation, on the other hand, i dunno why i dont have open beta folder...

I downloaded skatezilla tool yesterday, didnt get into it yet, i will go for it now.

Again, thnx for reply and help,

Best Regards...

If I recall correctly, when conversion from one build into another happens, folder names, shortcuts, registry entries etc. remain as they were, only the content changes (at least that's how it worked two years ago when I converted stable into OB, without using SkateZilla's tool). That's why you don't have OB folder.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.