With all the changes that have come in, where on Earth do I start?

Cowboy10uk

Hi guys, I got harrier on day one.  But despite loving the aircraft I really struggled with learning all the sensors, which meant she ended up being hangared once the Hornet appeared.

I’m now ready to face my foes and get to grip with those sensors, however I’m aware of the fact there has been many many changes and updates since I hangared her.   I’m just wondering what is the best way to learn the new systems and procedures. 

I normally use Chucks guides, although I understand that that’s now out of date itself.  Almost all the videos I can find on YouTube are a year or two old, so I’m guessing are also quite out of date, and that the full manual hasn’t been released yet.

so if anyone could point me in the right direction on how to learn this aircraft, I really would be most appreciative. 

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Learn it slowly, begin with Chuck's, majority of info in it remains correct, and update is coming sooner or later. Or you can get NATOPS for (T)AV-8B and learn from it, but this way you will encounter and acknowledge all the bugs and errors in system modeling, and it will make you a little sad. But Harrier is an interesting plane and a great module still, and it is complete enough (for the most part) to be very capable in DCS, so don't get discouraged.

I know a lot of people do not like them (especially on Hoggit) but the Grim Reapers often put out update videos when there are changes.

I only got the Harrier in a Sale last year , but I think you will mainly be ok , only small things have changed in each procedure (like making sure you hit the Designate button on the map page to enable Auto bombing ccip line) It is a great aircraft and Vtol operations are unique in DCS at the moment.

Edited by jib
  • Like 2

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

Yep, I don't care if people like them or not; if you want to see a video of a changed system the grim reapers are invariably there first, and on day one of a systems change that's what's important. If you don't like them then I guess you go figure it out yourself or you stop flying til someone else makes a video.

For a detailed, considered breakdown of how the systems work I go with RedKite or deepphack but the style of their video means they will take longer to come.

EDIT: Last night Chuck's Harrier guide was unavailable from Mudspike. Possibly he's updating it?

Edited by netizensmith

Just now, netizensmith said:

Yep, I don't care if people like them or not; if you want to see a video of a changed system the grim reapers are invariably there first, and on day one of a systems change that's what's important. If you don't like them then I guess you go figure it out yourself or you stop flying til someone else makes a video.

For a detailed, considered breakdown of how the systems work I go with RedKite or deepphack but the style of their video means they will take longer to come.

+1

I feel the same. GRs put out so much stuff there is inevitably some lower quality, glossed over, or inaccurate bits among it. However they  seem to always try to correct the errors where they can. And more importantly, they cover a lot of stuff that no one else does. I have no problem watching GR vids. Take them for what they are and make good use of the info they put out.

• Like 1

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Thanks for the advice all, currently working my through Deephacks vids on you tube, as they seem to be the most upto date ones, apart from the GR ones, which I will admit I discounted straight away as I’m not a huge fan of their style.    However the comments mentioned above about how quickly they get the vids out does make complete sense, so I’ll go back and have a look at them after I finish Deephacks.

Managed to remember how to get her started up yesterday evening, although for some reason I couldn’t get NWS to work, just wouldn’t accept steering for love nor money, despite it stating NWS on the hud, so no idea what I did then.    Sadly once I restarted in a different aircraft I then couldn’t get The INS to boot and download on the carrier.  I made sure electrical cable was plugged in, and sea was selected on the dial but it just sat at 0 and wouldn’t start counting no matter what I did.    So I’ll be back to the books to work that one out later today.

However, I did at least get the darn thing started and most systems booted up, which I class as a win. 👍👍👍

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Where does those mixed feelings about GR come from ?

GR are among the most learnfull and entertaining Youtubers around.

They are my no. 1 source of learning DCS modules systems - not always correct, but still...

• Like 1

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

4 hours ago, Cowboy10uk said:

(...)Managed to remember how to get her started up yesterday evening, although for some reason I couldn’t get NWS to work, just wouldn’t accept steering for love nor money, despite it stating NWS on the hud, so no idea what I did then.   (...)

Are you sure you have the rudder binded?

6 hours ago, Cowboy10uk said:

Managed to remember how to get her started up yesterday evening, although for some reason I couldn’t get NWS to work

Are holding down the nose wheel steering button or pressing it? it is not a toggle like in the A10C you have to hold it on (at least that is how I use it) also the switch by your left knee needs to be on or on high gain if you want really tight manoeuvrability on the carrier.

Edited by jib

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

3 hours ago, fjacobsen said:

They are my no. 1 source of learning DCS modules systems - not always correct, but still...

It’s a personal preference, I just struggle with the delivery and pace of their vids. Just find they tend to jump all over the place.    Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against them personally and I’m aware they have done wonders for our community, hell I’ve personally met them several times at different air shows, but for me I just don’t enjoy watching the vids.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 4/16/2021 at 12:39 PM, jib said:

Are holding down the nose wheel steering button or pressing it? it is not a toggle like in the A10C you have to hold it on (at least that is how I use it) also the switch by your left knee needs to be on or on high gain if you want really tight manoeuvrability on the carrier.

What I am doing as of late, is to turn anti skid off for taxing. That wait I can taxi with my rudder pedals without pressing anything and if I need Hi Gain, I press and hold NWS. I do not acknowledge the master caution just to remind me of turning anti-skid on before taking off.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:38 AM, fjacobsen said:

I'm a big fan. Grim Reapers videos have helped me a ton learning stuff on different modules. I watch other videos as well, sometimes other people put things a bit more clearly, but the GR videos remain my go-to tutorials.

As soon as the 2.7 changes hit the Harrier, it was Grim Reapers videos that got me up to speed first on the changes.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!