LIVE weather

sadjad-vosoul

NEW 2.7 is awesome and thank you so much for all efforts 

we know that this is WIP and as you said , is not completed yet

my biggest Wish for DCS 2.7 is LIVE WEATHER 

which is based on TAF and METAR and SIQWX and other free WX data......!  which are in access freely by websites in Internet for everyone , ( just like other Sims)

Best regards

ISAAC

Edited by sadjad-vosoul
  • Like 14

icon modules dcs small.png

My Liveries : Download Here       IIF Project : Click here       My Discord : Isaac#5625       Iranian DCS Community Discord Channel : Click Here
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Gear :

CPU: i5 7500 @ 3.8GHz | Mainboard: ASUS STRIX H270F Gaming | Ram: 32gig 2400 | GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6G OC | Monitor: ASUS VG278HE 27" 144Hrz | Headtracker: Open Track + DIY Clips | HOTAS : T.16000M | Mouse & Keyboard: ROG IMPACT II & Cooler Master Devastator 3

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WISH LIST Maps : Iraq and West of IRAN  | Vietnam 

+1

• Thanks 1

TU NE CEDE MALIS SED CONTRA AUDENTIOR ITO

Asrock Fatal1ty Gaming K6+, i5-6600K, 32 GB DDR4, Asus GTX 1070 Strix, SSD 500GB, HDD 1TB, Win 10 x64, Monitor LG Ultrawide 29UM67, Soundblaster Z+Sennheiser Game One, HOTAS Warthog, TFRP Thrustmaster, TrackIr

+1 (and historical 😎) - but with real weather data history (at least 24 hours - better 7 days)

As real weather data is linked with date & time the user/pilot should for example have the option to fly in daytime - even if his local time (or the local time of the map) is 23:00

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/26/2022 at 10:48 AM, grant977 said:

This is a must. I’d be happy with just simple metar injection for now. Anyone know of any third party apps that work with the current build to do this?

I'm building a program that does exactly this. (https://github.com/dMARLAN/DCS-Dynamic-Weather + https://github.com/dMARLAN/cvw8-scripts)

It's currently functional, but I haven't made it "public-user friendly" yet, so not sure how much this will help you unless you already are familiar with programming you could connect the dots.

It's on my to-do list to add appropriate read-me's etc. once I have time.

Edited by MARLAN_
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

On 7/28/2022 at 10:28 AM, MARLAN_ said:

I'm building a program that does exactly this. (https://github.com/dMARLAN/dcs-weather + https://github.com/dMARLAN/cvw8-scripts)

It's currently functional, but I haven't made it "public-user friendly" yet, so not sure how much this will help you unless you already are familiar with programming you could connect the dots.

Works flawlessly, thx

• Like 2

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

59 minutes ago, Nick_17 said:

Works flawlessly, thx

Glad it works for you! Honestly a bit surprised you figured it out, it's a bit of a mess right now. I'm working on cleaning things up right now to try to get a public release out.

• Like 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

15 hours ago, Nick_17 said:

Works flawlessly, thx

Care to share how you went about it?

• Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

2 hours ago, zildac said:

Care to share how you went about it?

Sure. First of i just looked at all the files in the repo and searched for the files that i would need and which ones i could neglect. At first i just wanted to change a selected miz file before i would load it in the ME. So i compiled the weather-update.jar, created a dao.json and set all the entries i would need. I got my api key, the location of my home airport (lat,long) the mission name etc. , placed all of the files in a new folder in the savedgames mission folder and executed the jar. Then i fired up the altered mission in sim and got the results i wanted. So after that stuff worked i got the scripthook ready, created a trigger in the mission to load all of the utilities luas and the SetWeather.lua, duplicated the mission and added the mission Identifier to the name and started a server with both missions. And thats basically it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

Sure. First of i just looked at all the files in the repo and searched for the files that i would need and which ones i could neglect. At first i just wanted to change a selected miz file before i would load it in the ME. So i compiled the weather-update.jar, created a dao.json and set all the entries i would need. I got my api key, the location of my home airport (lat,long) the mission name etc. , placed all of the files in a new folder in the savedgames mission folder and executed the jar. Then i fired up the altered mission in sim and got the results i wanted. So after that stuff worked i got the scripthook ready, created a trigger in the mission to load all of the utilities luas and the SetWeather.lua, duplicated the mission and added the mission Identifier to the name and started a server with both missions. And thats basically it.
Many thanks for the detailed explanation, I got most of it. Will try and find some time to play.
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

On 7/28/2022 at 10:28 AM, MARLAN_ said:

I'm building a program that does exactly this. (https://github.com/dMARLAN/dcs-weather + https://github.com/dMARLAN/cvw8-scripts)

So, stop waisting time writning here and head down and finish it, IT IS A MUST!  😜

Saludos.

Saca111

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 1:05 PM, Sacarino111 said:

So, stop waisting time writning here and head down and finish it, IT IS A MUST!  😜

Saludos.

Saca111

On 8/10/2022 at 2:06 PM, Lennard said:

+1

I love the enthusiasm! Sorry, I've been busy this week, and got an interview for a new job on the 16th, but I absolutely want to finish this project soon, I just have some more things to fix up.

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

I don't want to spoil the thread, but I've noticed this topic here since a while ago and my thought has always been why would you want live weather in a combat sim?

Weather is an important part of mission design, and if it becomes randomized, you have problems. A LGB or visual strike on a bridge doesn't work if the bridge is covered in fog and low clouds. Temperature changes engine performance and range, so waypoints may need to be updated along with ceilings for certain threats. If you're in an area prone to extreme weather, you might not even be able to takeoff safely. It seems like live weather would just be a pain. It works better in non combat sims because there is less to plan for.

All of that said, we end users can use our discretion in turning options on and off, so I'm not against adding live weather. There are also plenty of people that free flight in DCS or use it as a civil sim anyway. However we probably need some additional options to make live weather fit into the combat side of things. Perhaps live weather could be edited for particular missions. So for example if there is a LGB strike on a bridge, the mission would download live weather for the map but exclude clouds below XXXXX feet. The same could be applied for temperature and wind speed, letting them vary up to certain limits.

Personally I think scripted evolving weather would be higher on the priority list, but I might use a live weather option on occasion.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

13 hours ago, MARLAN_ said:

I love the enthusiasm! Sorry, I've been busy this week, and got an interview for a new job on the 16th, but I absolutely want to finish this project soon, I just have some more things to fix up.

💪. I hope you get that job! Only, if it will take you too much time for this weather thing, reject it! 

Best for you

Saca111

4 hours ago, Exorcet said:

I don't want to spoil the thread, but I've noticed this topic here since a while ago and my thought has always been why would you want live weather in a combat sim?

Weather is an important part of mission design, and if it becomes randomized, you have problems. A LGB or visual strike on a bridge doesn't work if the bridge is covered in fog and low clouds. Temperature changes engine performance and range, so waypoints may need to be updated along with ceilings for certain threats. If you're in an area prone to extreme weather, you might not even be able to takeoff safely. It seems like live weather would just be a pain. It works better in non combat sims because there is less to plan for.

All of that said, we end users can use our discretion in turning options on and off, so I'm not against adding live weather. There are also plenty of people that free flight in DCS or use it as a civil sim anyway. However we probably need some additional options to make live weather fit into the combat side of things. Perhaps live weather could be edited for particular missions. So for example if there is a LGB strike on a bridge, the mission would download live weather for the map but exclude clouds below XXXXX feet. The same could be applied for temperature and wind speed, letting them vary up to certain limits.

Personally I think scripted evolving weather would be higher on the priority list, but I might use a live weather option on occasion.

Hi.

Live, not random. Clouds moving with the wind, changing forms, appearing or desapearing, like when you look in to the sky.

Random would be great, as an option, but I think that is not the question.

Saludos

Saca111

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

Live, not random. Clouds moving with the wind, changing forms, appearing or desapearing, like when you look in to the sky.

Random would be great, as an option, but I think that is not the question.

Actually, this script wont do that. It will use the live/current weather/METAR data from the AVWX API and edit the mission so that the weather settings of it match that data as close as possible. This will happen before the mission will be loaded and not update the settings while the mission is running.

9 hours ago, Exorcet said:

I can't speak for others and what reasons they might have, but i scripted a bunch of missions for me and my friends which resembles some kind of dynamic conquest mode. The live weather is just a nice thing to have to get a bit more randomization for those missions. There is no specific mission design or preset waypoints and stuff like that. Just one objective: destroy the defenses and units at each airbase and capture it, before reinforcements arrive or the defenses respawn and prevent that from happening to your own/captured airfields. Since DCS is a sandbox simulator you dont really have any resrictions on what you can and want to do. Like some people would love live weather in game, to have something to adapt to when they do aerobatics all the time, stuff like that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...