new Monitor for TrackIr. Refresh rate compatibility question

Hello,

my main work/game monitor broke and i need to buy a new one quickly. I don't want to significantly upgrade my dcs experience until i get a new computer, so i want to go with a moderately priced 27" fullHD monitor for now.

For various reasons i don't want to get a "gaming" monitor, which leaves me with quite a lot of 75hz monitors, which seems to be the new standard for office/allround-displays these days. I do remember reading that trackIR is not smooth if refresh rate is above 60.

Is this correct? Would i be better off with going with a 60hz refres rate (75hz monitors are generally a tiny bit more responsive, which would be nice, but i don't want stutter with trackIr).

I know that it would also be good advice to spend more and go for a VFR, but i thought it through and decided that i want to go the "affordable" route for now (my rig is not fast enough to really take advantages of higher resolution or very high refresh and until prices normalize i don't want to upgrade).

thanks.

Never heard about that phenomenon before, I use a 165Hz monitor, typically get around 100 fps in DCS and have had no issues with stuttering in trackir. For what it's worth, I can highly recommend the AORUS FI27Q 27 Inch IPS QHD (2560 x 1440) 165 Hz FreeSync/G-Sync monitor, it doesn't suffer from the overstated "gamer" aesthetic that many monitors seem to, it's high Hz, variable refresh rate, and a decent price (plus dcs kind of sufffers going over 1440p).

Fly fast and leave a pretty wreck

3 hours ago, twistking said:

For various reasons i don't want to get a "gaming" monitor, which leaves me with quite a lot of 75hz monitors, which seems to be the new standard for office/allround-displays these days. I do remember reading that trackIR is not smooth if refresh rate is above 60.

Is this correct? Would i be better off with going with a 60hz refres rate (75hz monitors are generally a tiny bit more responsive, which would be nice, but i don't want stutter with trackIr).

Partly correct. To get a smooth TrackIR experience, you need to be on 60 (or 30 or 120) all the time. So above or below will give a little motion stutter when looking sideways and moving fast, the more you divert from that value, the heavier the little stutter becomes. Just cap the framerate to 60 (and if possible set your monitors refresh rate to 60, you will probably have that option on a 75Hz monitor).

@Caster : discussions on this matter are all over the place on this forum (and others) and ongoing for years now. That you don't notice... the better for you, you don't have to worry about it then (and no, it's not your monitor....).

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

thanks to both for the replies.

@Caster yes, i even looked at that monitor, but the situation is more complex than i described. if i'd really invest in a decent monitor upgrade i'd probabyl aim even higher, because i use it professionaly for design work and this one would probably underperform a little bit for me in that area. it's complicated... that's why i want to buy a cheaper one (to augment my small and boring but accurate second monitor) before i completely upgrade my complete workspace in the distant future...

@Lange_666ok, i got you. i think i even know the effect from when my rig does not hit 60 but (on the ground it's often around 40) and while i would not call it "stuttering" i notice that head movement is not completely fluent. this should be the effect right?
good point, that the 75hz monitors should also be able to run at 60. i think for dcs the added latency should not be a problem...

Edited by twistking
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, twistking said:

ok, i got you. i think i even know the effect from when my rig does not hit 60 but (on the ground it's often around 40) and while i would not call it "stuttering" i notice that head movement is not completely fluent. this should be the effect right?

Yes, that's it. It all has to do with the TrackIR pullrate somehow. You can try and cap at 30 but 30 FPS is a bit low for fast moving terrain (for games like MSFS is't OK).

And it's definatly TrackIR that's causing is. Just look sideways when moving fast, the lower the more visible, see the very small "stutter" when FPS is not exactly on TrackIR's pull rate and then pause TrackIR and oeps... jiddery motion is gone. 

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

15 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Yes, that's it. It all has to do with the TrackIR pullrate somehow. You can try and cap at 30 but 30 FPS is a bit low for fast moving terrain (for games like MSFS is't OK).

And it's definatly TrackIR that's causing is. Just look sideways when moving fast, the lower the more visible, see the very small "stutter" when FPS is not exactly on TrackIR's pull rate and then pause TrackIR and oeps... jiddery motion is gone. 

thanks for the explanation. while i did indeed notice that behaviour then, i am lucky enough to not really be put off by it and i can imagine why many people do not notice it at all. it's similar with VR framerates and motion reprojection: players opinion differ to an extreme amount: until you've tested it for yourself, it's difficult to say what you find acceptable...