Game breaks in F10 while GCI

JayRoc

On 8/9/2021 at 9:04 AM, N.A.S.H. said:

I found out the issue will greatly reduced if I didn’t switch between windows desktop and DCS using “Alt+Tab” key.

Good that that helps for you, but I am seeing the problem within minutes of starting a multiplayer session, with no alt+tabbing.

• Like 1

I have slightly narrowed the symptoms and it seems, that this occurs only when I am zooming out map above some specific zoom level.

• Thanks 1

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

I'm looking for a pattern. Could all of you please attach your dxdiag log?

Here's how to create one: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Obtaining-a-DXDIAG-log-for-diagnostics-and-troubleshooting-issues-with-graphic-cards.html

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Oddly enough, I've closed Firefox working in the background, but the issue was there again, almost immediately after game start, just couple zooms in and out (with mouse free scroll), then closed also the Steam client, restarted DCS, and as long as I was not going into the 3D game environment and back to map, I was unable to force game to make icons disappear, but after switch to 3D, back to map and about 2-3 zoom ins/outs, icons disappeared. Then tried to do the same sequence again, but this time without "success", meaning after about 30-50 zoom ins/outs and couple switches between 2D and 3D I have still icons visible.
For the record, I am not using Steam overlay.

Natural Born Kamikaze

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

Whoa!

Nailed it (kind of), it is reproducible simply by enabling the "show all routes" option, then zooming in and out.
And even better, because this behavior is repeatable by replaying the track.

Here are three of them, where at least on my computer it occurs, always exactly in the same time, when I do as described higher in this post.

P.S.

Sorry for this flood I am in the amok of testing...

server-20210819-215031.trk server-20210819-214855.trk server-20210819-213857.trk

Edited by Pipok
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Natural Born Kamikaze

Excellent! Even though 95% of impacted users are Radeon equiped and I am not, I'll test your track on Sunday.

And even if it fails for me, as long as your track "works" for any Radeon user means it will ease the task of devs to squash this bug.

By the way, shouldn't your tracks be client-side ones?

The vast majority of my flying I perform on my server, even when flying alone.

But the same happened when two minutes ago I did it as a client on the other server.

Natural Born Kamikaze

As @Flappie suggests, it would be more than welcome if anyone with Radeon graphic card, would download one of my tracks, replay it and verify if the effect on his computer would be the same.

Preferably not the smallest one, as the start of it is quite long - I was in the kitchen preparing some of carbohydrates 😉.

Natural Born Kamikaze

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @Flappie, any progress about this isse?

Believe me, It becomes really annoying to be forced to restart DCS every 5 up to 40 minutes because of disappearing interface...

Edited by Pipok

Natural Born Kamikaze

What I need is an insider able to replicate this bug. Only then I'll be able to report it.

Can you reproduce the issue with your DCS client -not your server- then attach the client track here, please? Then I'll send it to beta testers, and I'll let you know if one of them is able to replicate the issue.

Sure, I'll prepare such track today. Out of curiosity, what's the difference between track registered by playing on someone's server versus the one made playing on my own server?

Natural Born Kamikaze

I don't know for sure, but I think a server track (those named "server-...") only registers what happens on the server, not what happens on the client side. I believe this F10 issue only happens to some clients, it's not a server issue. Hence the need for a client track.

Edited by Flappie

These tracks I've attached comes from my computer where I was playing as the client and where the issue with dissapearing interface elements occured to me, they're not from the dedicated server, does it count? 🙂
Anyway, I'll try to prepare tracks from the session where I play as the "pure" client.

Natural Born Kamikaze

50 minutes ago, Pipok said:

These tracks I've attached comes from my computer where I was playing as the client and where the issue with dissapearing interface elements occured to me, they're not from the dedicated server, does it count? 🙂

I assume these are server-side tracks because DCS usually name those "server-... .trk".

MP client tracks are automatically stored in "Saved Games\DCS(or DCS.openbeta)\Tracks\Multiplayer" and are usually named after the mission:

image.png

MP server tracks are automatically stored here: "Saved Games\DCS_server(or DCS.openbeta_server)\Tracks\Multiplayer" and are usually named "server.... .trk":

image.png

I believe a non-dedi server stores its tracks in the same place than the client, but names them "server-... .trk" so we can dissociate them from client tracks.

Edited by Flappie

Would you guys please update your AMD Radeon driver to the latest one, which should be the following and try again? I have positive reports that the issue is vanished with this update.

• Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.8.2 Driver Version 21.20.25.01 for Windows® 10 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.22025.1006).
  • Thanks 1

I've installed 21.8.2 and it still happens.

I've done tests on other servers where spent about 15 minutes (each session) without this effect, then tried it back on my computer but this time I've noticed something that indicates that this must be the problem with the memory leakage (?).

I've couple of missions, but only one, where I've used both Gamemaster Functions and Gamemaster Templates makes it possible to cause the problem almost immediately after full zoom in, then full zoom out on the map. This happens both when I play in single player as well, as playing it in multiplayer session on my local computer.

Playing the same mission but with the Gamemaster Templates removed, I was unable to recreate the situation so far.
Here are two replays both, from single player and multiplayer sessions.

server-20210830-222029.trk

Single player - Issue with the UI.trk

Natural Born Kamikaze

I've done it already twice, every time when I was reinstalling the drivers.

How do You try to replicate the issue?
Here's the mission, start it, go directly to the game master (blue is the one I've been testing usually), then on the map, just fully zoom in, zoom out view couple times.

Stunt Islands.miz

Natural Born Kamikaze

@Pipok,

I watched your track file, "Single Player - Issue with the UI.trk" and I didn't see anything unusual. No icons disappeared. I also tried your Stunt Island mission and didn't experience any disappearing icons.

My experience with the disappearing icons happens randomly. It could take up to 4hrs for it to occur or as little as 30 minutes. I have an AMD Radeon graphics card.

• Like 1

@Special K thinks this bug might be caused by a lack of memory, which would explain that some users get it soon and others rather late during a game session.

To all who have experienced this bug: please attach a dxdiag log and tell us whether you can reproduce the bug quickly (let's say under 15 minutes) or not.

Here's how to get a dxdiag log.

@Flappie In all this investigation I also observe that factor, having the Logitech G15 keyboard with applet for display showing the memory usage I can tell, that this issue with dissapearing graphic happens when about 25% of RAM memory or more is still available. I know there may be other factors involved, but this would mean bad memory management, and mentioned before memory leakages, under or overruns that would have an effect in overwriting the data in the memory.

Edited by Pipok

Natural Born Kamikaze

I have not had this happen to me since the last update, no changes to my AMD drivers (they have stopped updating for my card, so no reason to update). I haven't flown a lot during this time, but before it happened almost every time that I was flying, so I think something has changed for me.