Game breaks in F10 while GCI

JayRoc

I did not see anything about this in the patchnotes. I dont even think ED cares about this problem. It has been around for over 6 months, it happens to me every time I open the map and it is always a gamebreaker. I literally can not play the Game since the release of 2.7. Really frustrating. No DCS for over half a year!

• Like 2

Here is an updated DxDiag because of updated video drivers.

The link is to the track file while playing in Multiplayer. The track file is LARGE (45 MB). The time at which the icons disappeared was around 21:00 EST. The track file ends at 21:09 EST.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gNDMpSClVWC9MnvaCkmwaeMuNVXM66VO/view?usp=sharing

DxDiag-2021-09-18.txt

I'm so frustrated at this point. This is such a game breaker for me. 

AMD 5900X / Radeon 6900XT 64GB ram

This issue has plagued many users for months and months. I understand wanting to fix this by understanding why this happens. But, in the meantime...

Please DEV's, please..... Please....

Would you instead implement a UI elements reset function ....

Thank you, I would be forever grateful. And again thank you for you artistry and hard work. I love DCS!!!

I've had it happen doing several different things, zooming, moving the map, even not touching the map but just increase the time speed and it just happens.

I was unable to pin it to one event or trigger but it always happens when having the map open and it affects other UI elements as demonstrated.

As a software developer myself, I feel like this might be a hard one to track down.

As DCS is using Direct X and it is only happening on AMD cards, it's most likely their implementation of Direct X that is wrong at some point.

Unfortunately, ED can't fix issues in the AMD graphics drivers. So if they - by chance - find out, what exactly is causing the issue, there might be a workaround. But that is unclear.

Most likely we will see another AMD patch in the near future and the issue vanishes with that.

@Special K, this problem manifested itself with the launch of DCS 2.7 and it still remains. My computer system remained unchanged when DCS migrated from 2.5 to 2.7. It may seem plausible that AMD changed driver codes however, the disappearing icons started shortly after the launch of DCS 2.7. It is more likely that the code DCS uses to interface with the graphics card, albeit DirectX or other methods, may be suspect. Perhaps a coordinated effort between ED and AMD can resolve this issue? If required, the Microsoft DirectX team may be able to shed some light on this problem.

I hope that this problem can be resolved with the effort from ED, AMD, and potentially DirectX. Are there any steps taken to contact AMD for developer assistance?

P.S. AMD had a recent driver update before Fri, 17 Dec and the disappearing icons problem still persist.

Edited by GeoS72
Added Post Script
  • Like 1

I'm also affected by this bug as I have a 6900 but I've discovered that as long as you don't press the button "show all routes" in the map screen, the bug won't happen (or at least it didn't happen in my computer) so at least this is a workaround...

@Flappie Perhaps this can make it easier for the devs to debug it as it seems to be linked with the display of the waypoints.

Steps to reproduce:

1: Have an ATI card

2: Start the mission linked here: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/268351-game-breaks-in-f10-while-gci/?do=findComment&comment=4762762

Select blue side, game master slot.

It probably works with any other mission but that's how I did it at least...

3: Go to map view and make sure that the button "show all routes" is deactivated

4: Play with the map view by selecting different units, zoom in and out, press F8 over units to view them and go back to map view, etc...

5: Press the button "show all routes" and see how all the UI breaks down. If it doesn't, just deactivate it and go to step 4 to try again...

It doesn't happen 100% of the times but it's quite easy to reproduce it consistently if you play with the map for 1 or 2 minutes

Relevant GIF where the bug is shown:

X3e5DS9.gif

Edited by -Dagger-
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, -Dagger- said:

as long as you don't press the button "show all routes" in the map screen, the bug won't happen

Unfortunately it's not true. Use of this button speeds up the issue, but without using it, eventually the bug will happen anyway.

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

3 hours ago, Pipok said:

Unfortunately it's not true. Use of this button speeds up the issue, but without using it, eventually the bug will happen anyway.

The faster devs can reproduce the bug, the better.

Thanks @-Dagger-, I'll add your procedure to the bug report.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

6 minutes ago, Flappie said:

The faster devs can reproduce the bug, the better.

Thanks @-Dagger-, I'll add your procedure to the bug report.

Sounds good. I think that somehow the error is related with the display of the lines of the waypoints as when you press over a unit you can also see their waypoints and that might be acumulating.

Also, since now you can "trigger" the bug I saw that there's nothing written in the log so it's useless to attach it.

Edited by -Dagger-

18 minutes ago, -Dagger- said:

Also, since now you can "trigger" the bug I saw that there's nothing written in the log so it's useless to attach it.

Yes, we made the same observation. This is the worst part, because it means devs have to guess what's happening.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

might have some good news to report. 

It seems with the latest Radeon drivers 21.9.2, I've not experienced any f10 UI element issues.

Although, I haven't spent much time in combined arms to know for sure with extended use.

But, normal airframe usage seems to be working well.

5 hours ago, JIGGAwest said:

It seems with the latest Radeon drivers 21.9.2, I've not experienced any f10 UI element issues.

Sorry to bring the bad news, but it's still in place with this drivers version...

obraz.png

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:24 AM, Amarok_73 said:

Sorry to bring the bad news, but it's still in place with this drivers version...

obraz.png

Well, I'm sorry to hear that. I guess I've been lucky recently, which previously, was not the case - at all. Minutes of usage would cause this errors. 

Personally still have not recently seen an issue. I play dcs for hours a day.