Game breaks in F10 while GCI

JayRoc

This happens to me too. Just adding my system info here and hoping it helps someone to resolve this out.
DCS version: 2.7.5.10869
CPU: AMD FX-8370
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 Nano 4GB with driver version 21.5.2
Memory: 24GB

• Like 1

Modules: FC3 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV-2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | UH-1H & WWII Assets Terrains: Normandy 2.0 | Persian Gulf | South Atlantic Mods: A-4E-C | OV-10A | VSN_F104G

PC: AMD FX-8370 (8-core) | DDR3-1866MHz 32GB | AMD Radeon Vega 56 8GB | Corsair TX750 PSU | Lenovo 34" 21:9 screen

Controllers: CH Products F-16 Fighterstick | Saitek X52 Pro throttle | Saitek pedals | TrackIR 3

On 9/21/2021 at 2:51 PM, Special K said:

As DCS is using Direct X and it is only happening on AMD cards, it's most likely their implementation of Direct X that is wrong at some point.

Unfortunately, ED can't fix issues in the AMD graphics drivers. So if they - by chance - find out, what exactly is causing the issue, there might be a workaround. But that is unclear.

Most likely we will see another AMD patch in the near future and the issue vanishes with that.

Nvidia card users have reported this issue as well, the "blame it on AMD" card can't be played here. 
This is clearly a 2.7 issue. 

Edited by Hardcard
  • Like 3

Am 3.10.2021 um 10:15 schrieb Hardcard:

Nvidia card users have reported this issue as well, the "blame it on AMD" card can't be played here. 
This is clearly a 2.7 issue. 

Do you have a log of any Nvidia user reporting the same issue? I have not seen any.

On 9/21/2021 at 2:51 PM, Special K said:

As DCS is using Direct X and it is only happening on AMD cards, it's most likely their implementation of Direct X that is wrong at some point.

Unfortunately, ED can't fix issues in the AMD graphics drivers. So if they - by chance - find out, what exactly is causing the issue, there might be a workaround. But that is unclear.

Most likely we will see another AMD patch in the near future and the issue vanishes with that.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:53 PM, Special K said:

Do you have a log of any Nvidia user reporting the same issue? I have not seen any.

No matter if the issue is specific to AMD cards (it seems to be), and whether or not it is actually caused by an AMD bug or not (we cannot tell), we should be able to agree at least that it is up to ED to deliver a game that runs adequately on the hardware they support.

It was the 2.7 update that introduced the issue, not a driver update. The cause can be found somewhere in the (huge) 2.7 diff.

Waiting for the right AMD driver update to come along does not work - keep in mind this issue already exists for 6 months now, and we have no way to tell whether it is an AMD driver bug and then whether AMD is aware and will prioritize a fix.

ED will need to either fix their bug, or work around whatever AMD hardware/driver bug there may be, just like other software and game developers work around hardware and driver quirks.

I may just be repeating others at this point, but the long wait for a solution is frustrating: I've not been able to properly make use of CA since 2.7 came out, and I keep restarting the game because the refuel/rearm menu messes up.

Still I'm hopeful that this issue is solved earlier than my next hardware upgrade (A 5700XT *should* run most games just fine for a few more years).

Edited by Lurcher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/4/2021 at 10:53 PM, Special K said:

I didn't ask the Nvidia user to provide a log because it's not my job... but apparently I'll have to end up doing it anyway. 😭

Here's the thread (same issue, loss of UI icons / buttons across the board): 

The user is @G.J.S

Like you, I also suspected the issue was AMD related, but then he replied that he was also experiencing the issue with an Nvidia card, so that put 2.7 back at the front of the suspect list. 

Anyway, blaming it on AMD won't solve anything, since AMD employees will say that everything worked fine before DCS OB 2.7 (and they'll be right about that), returning the ball to ED's side of the court. 

Honestly the report of that Nvidia user can be anything. If they are the single needle in the haystack, it's more likely that it is something completely different. I've seen lots of complaints in the past month and that is the only user with an Nvidia card claiming that issue.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that this issue is very painful. I don't agree though that a software vendor necessarily has to work around driver bugs, if this is any. That's still an assumption as it at least seems to happen 99% with AMD cards (if we count that user).

But all of that doesn't help. The logs do not say anything at that point. Absolutely no issue. That is even more pointing into a driver direction as DCS does not seem to get any error back from the DX API.

So to get things forward - does anyone know any way to enable some debug mode in the driver? Debug logging etc? With that, we could try to track it down, if some guys could enable it and send their logs after the issue happens.

29 minutes ago, Special K said:

So to get things forward - does anyone know any way to enable some debug mode in the driver? Debug logging etc? With that, we could try to track it down, if some guys could enable it and send their logs after the issue happens.

Devs have that kind of tools and they are now investigating. Wait (a little more) and see.

• Like 5

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Does anybody encounter this problem with the new AMD drive 21.10.2? It seems AMD fixed this problem in DCS.

P.S. And also with the same update, they fixed a problem with the invisible texture of foliage in Arma if you activate antialiasing for trees and grass. Coincidence? I don't think so.

1 hour ago, Aja said:

P.S. And also with the same update, they fixed a problem with the invisible texture of foliage in Arma if you activate antialiasing for trees and grass. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Try to disable ATOC in graphic options, and You'll see the magic. 😉

And regarding the question about the newest drivers, I've installed them, and issue is still there..

.obraz.png

obraz.png

Edited by Amarok_73

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

On 8/31/2021 at 11:59 PM, QuiGon said:

@Flappie

I think my buddy is able to reproduce the issue very quickly, by zooming in/out very quickly/far on the F10 map as shown in @Pipok's video, so he should be able to create a short track file of the issue.

What kind of track file do you need exactly? A track file of the client on a server, a track file of the client on his own server or a track file from singlepalyer?

Same for me.  Switch to F10 and then zoom in or out right away and often crashes in MP (GS server).  If I turn OFF labels, target areas, detection areas, etc. it seems less likely to crash.

UPDATE: The "crash" is not typical for me.  The DCS screen disappears so I can see my desktop, but I can still hear sound and I DCS is still running under Task Manager.  When I try to click on my desktop nothing happens.
I have to Stop DCS in Task Manager to shut it down.  Submitted crash report a couple days ago.

Edited by ACME_WIdgets
added crash details, not normal crash

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

I'm on an old Dell laptop with NVIDIA GPU 5200H, with F10 crashes.

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

I think I found a way to reproduce this in the Editor (bear with me on this since there won't be a track file). I'm not 100% sure the cause is the exact same thing as what we've been seeing in-game, but the results are the same.

Using the new draw tools, if I create a polygon and reduce its thickness to 1, the problem will manifest. Here's to hoping that gives a lead on the issue.

Screen_211021_040923.png

Screen_211021_040948.png

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I can confirm. I did test the new tools, and after drawing a bunch of them, on a polygon I did reduce thickness to 1 and the icons were gone. Also in my case, the blue background of the menus (those seen on the screenshots in post above) turned black which was definitely weird.

9 hours ago, Tholozor said:

Using the new draw tools, if I create a polygon and reduce its thickness to 1, the problem will manifest. Here's to hoping that gives a lead on the issue.

Yes, the same here. Couldn't be easier to reproduce 🙂

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

35 minutes ago, Amarok_73 said:

Yes, the same here. Couldn't be easier to reproduce 🙂

Nice finding! i did same as you and ui gone as soon as i set thickness to 1.

It has been more than 6 months but it looks like we are on it guys! Good job.