Game breaks in F10 while GCI

JayRoc

It seems to only happen on one specific server, now. Maybe you should tell the Blue Flag gurus about it in order to get more info. Maybe it's related to a high number of units in missions (but I doubt it, since it only happens on one server), maybe it's a custom script...

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Hey @Hardcard. I only know this: before the fix, the bug was happening for any map and for a lot of users. Now that the fix is out, the issue is only happening on one server for Syria only, if I'm not mistaken. It would be interesting to know if this issue happens on the same server with a different mission (one in Syria, then one in Caucasus, for instance).

Edited by Flappie

@Flappie

A blueflag player on the BuddySpike discord channel says that the issue also happens in other servers, not just Syria 90s. 

I've already asked that player to try to reproduce the issue elsewhere and then report it to you here. 

I'll just say that this UI issue was never server-related, I don't see why it should be server-related now.

Edited by Hardcard
  • Like 1

I think we can all agree on the fact that the issue still springs form the game (not from the user O.S. or graphics settings or anything else user wise). But we need to find what triggers it now, because this issue "rules" have changed. That's the hardest part. I'm not sure this issue is related to a server setting, but more to a mission setting. Simple test: ask admins to run their mission on another server.

BF Syria 1.34 90s.miz-dynamic-20220328-005309.trkHere's a trackfile of the mission that causes the UI glitch basically instantly on my system: 6900XT with 22.3.2 drivers, can confirm that the track by itself will do it, connecting to the server isn't needed to recreate it on my end

I've also attached the log and dxdiag, but I can't see anything obvious in either of them, but I haven't messed with DX11 development in a couple of years so who knows

dcs.logDxDiag.txt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't follow you. I've just tried the track, and nothing happens in it, apart from a Blue Flag script error. I then switch to F10 view and there are no units displayed. Then I cannot go back to 3D view. Yet nothing is broken in F10 view.

What's broken on your end?

@Flappie

I guess I should've recorded it.

Here's what happens: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c3k6tZ9JZkLlMihES3kLttyXgaBgyK0M/view?usp=sharing

1- Open the track posted by @ripper253
2- Go to F10 view once the mission has been loaded
3- Unpause the mission
4- Zoom in

You can see in my video how the interface breaks, map markers disappear, toolbar icons disappear.
Then, when I exit the replay, you can see how interface buttons and sliders also disappear, module thumbnails in the main menu disappear, Mission Editor buttons disappear, etc. 

The bug effects are the same we had before, and something in this track triggers it. 

My main suspects: 
- Map drawing elements introduced in 2.7 (or some of their settings), which appear when you zoom in.
- Map icons/markers introduced in 2.7, which appear when you zoom in. 

Why is this only happening in BF Syria 90s? I don't know, maybe it's the only mission currently using the problematic markers / drawings. 

Edited by Hardcard

Thanks @Hardcard, I should've done something like that to show what's going on, can confirm that's identical to the issue I'm getting, and I still haven't managed to recreate it anywhere else, I could swear I've seen it elsewhere but until I can get proof of it, I think we have to say it's down to this particular mission file

• 2 months later...

I can also confirm this issue also occurs on Graywolfs DFAGrayFlag syria server. Same way, F10 and scroll and your UI goes to junk.

The 2 correlating factors i’ve seemed to note when it happens, is PvP based missions, on syria. Does not occur on PvE based syria missions. Same with SP missions.

Edited by Br0s3ph

@FlappieI just got pointed to this issue by another user, not sure if that is still a thing here. I checked that dcs.log that has been posted above. That user is using lots of mods and they have corruption in their Saved Games\MissionEditor files. Not surprising that it breaks their F10 view though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can confirm that the Grayflag Syria mission is where I run into it most commonly - not just with scroll zoom but also using the Zoom In / Zoom Out tools from the top bar. The theory on their Discord (apologies if this has been brought up elsewhere) is it occurs for AMD GPUs on maps with lots of "drawn" elements, in Grayflag's case zone boundaries, frontlines etc.

Interestingly, I don't seem to get it on Lima Kilo's Flashpoint Levant map, which also has regional borders and suchlike drawn on it. Guess there's a critical value somewhere between the two. Other difference would be that Grayflag has the UH-60L mod enabled, don't know if that could affect it.

Once encountered, the issue persists even after leaving the server (see second video).

https://streamable.com/4gdx4h

https://streamable.com/66f9n7

(Dramatic mouse-waving included)

Edit: Saw the requested details in the other thread, that server was:

DFA Grayflag Syria, server1.dfa.wtf:10308, run by Graywo1f and Grimes, recorded this morning on an AMD RX 480 8GB.

null

image.png

Edited by ZuluThreeZero
Additional server and driver info

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 4:02 AM, ZuluThreeZero said:

Can confirm that the Grayflag Syria mission is where I run into it most commonly - not just with scroll zoom but also using the Zoom In / Zoom Out tools from the top bar. The theory on their Discord (apologies if this has been brought up elsewhere) is it occurs for AMD GPUs on maps with lots of "drawn" elements, in Grayflag's case zone boundaries, frontlines etc.

Interestingly, I don't seem to get it on Lima Kilo's Flashpoint Levant map, which also has regional borders and suchlike drawn on it. Guess there's a critical value somewhere between the two. Other difference would be that Grayflag has the UH-60L mod enabled, don't know if that could affect it.

Once encountered, the issue persists even after leaving the server (see second video).

https://streamable.com/4gdx4h

https://streamable.com/66f9n7

(Dramatic mouse-waving included)

Edit: Saw the requested details in the other thread, that server was:

DFA Grayflag Syria, server1.dfa.wtf:10308, run by Graywo1f and Grimes, recorded this morning on an AMD RX 480 8GB.

null

image.png

I concur... It seem the "drawn" features in the ME are the main factor in what's causing the UI glitch. If you take these out, it fixes the problem.

I also agree this seems to be consistent with AMD GPU's. Of the group people I fly with, those running AMD cards seem to be the only ones who share my frustration.

Of everyone I talked with, when flying (most) missions (not all) that contain "drawn" elements, zooming in/out on the F10 map is usually what creates the glitch in the UI and breaks the the F10 map and menu boarders.

Hopefully there's a fix soon.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:02 AM, ZuluThreeZero said:

Interestingly, I don't seem to get it on Lima Kilo's Flashpoint Levant map, which also has regional borders and suchlike drawn on it. Guess there's a critical value somewhere between the two.

5 hours ago, McFly0081 said:

I concur... It seem the "drawn" features in the ME are the main factor in what's causing the UI glitch. If you take these out, it fixes the problem.

Interesting. Here's a dumb Combined Arms mission with some crazy drawings for you to test in SP (I'm still unable to reproduce this issue - Nvidia 1080 Ti).

Can you reproduce the issue with it? Tha would help devs to squash this bug.

Picasso.miz

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

Interesting. Here's a dumb Combined Arms mission with some crazy drawings for you to test in SP (I'm still unable to reproduce this issue - Nvidia 1080 Ti).

Can you reproduce the issue with it? Tha would help devs to squash this bug.

Picasso.miz 52.03 kB · 1 download

I tested your .miz on my local machine in SP and MP (hosted on my local machine) and was unable to replicate the issue (DCS Beta 2.7.15.26783, GPU-6700xt, CPU-5600x, G2 Reverb). From the few people I spoke with, most of them with the issue are running AMD cards, so I'm not sure if it will replicate on the 1080ti or not. I will discuss and research further. Maybe it's a mixed bag of drawn in features and "something" else. I'll also see if I can produce a .miz file that causes the issue... Standby.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, McFly0081 said:

I tested your .miz on my local machine in SP and MP (hosted on my local machine) and was unable to replicate the issue (DCS Beta 2.7.15.26783, GPU-6700xt, CPU-5600x, G2 Reverb). From the few people I spoke with, most of them with the issue are running AMD cards, so I'm not sure if it will replicate on the 1080ti or not. I will discuss and research further. Maybe it's a mixed bag of drawn in features and "something" else. I'll also see if I can produce a .miz file that causes the issue... Standby.

If you would like a .miz file for testing. search for the "Foothold" missions in the DCS user files. Both of these missions (Caucasus & Syria) will replicate the bug. At least they did for me. They both also have scripting, so It's possible that could be a contributing factor (I'd post the link but I don't know if that goes against any forum policies).

I found it. I tried but couldn't replicate. I'll ask testers to give this a go. I guess the procedure is unchanged?

1. Run the mission.
  2. Choose JTAC / command slot.
  3. Zoom in like crazy, then zoom out like crazy until units icons are lost.

4 hours ago, Flappie said:

I found it. I tried but couldn't replicate. I'll ask testers to give this a go. I guess the procedure is unchanged?

1. Run the mission.
  2. Choose JTAC / command slot.
  3. Zoom in like crazy, then zoom out like crazy until units icons are lost.

That's about right. I just tested the Syria mission by hosing it locally in MP and it broke the UI immediately with about a dozen or so clicks of the scroll wheel. You don't have to scroll in/out quickly. For testing sake, I also loaded the mission by just adding .miz file to my missions folder. I did not add anything from the included "Scripts" folder. You do not need to slot into a JTAC slot. The UI glitch will happen from any aircraft (even spectator) as long as your scroll in and out on the F10 map. Further more, I tested in both VR and in 2D and it will replicate the glitch either way... Screenshots attached for reference.

UI Glitch Syria Foothold Testing - 1.jpg

UI Glitch Syria Foothold Testing - 2.jpg

• Thanks 1

My previous testing that created the glitch (screenshots posted above) was done with persistence disabled, hosting as MP from my local machine.

I just did additional testing in SP (persistence disabled), launched the mission from the ME, and I was able to replicate the same UI glitch after about 2 dozen times of scrolling in/out of the F10 map.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gents. A fix made it to last OB update, but I've heard the issue was not fixed for everybody.

Can you please answer these questions?

1. Are you still experiencing the issue in current OB (2.7.16.28111) ?
  2. What is your AMD GPU model?
  3. How much VRAM does it have?
  • Like 1