REVERB G1 TO REVERB G2?

coopercobra03

depends most of the big changes IMO are comfort/quality of life related; the lighter cable and adjustable IPD alone were worth it for me  

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

A buddy picked up the G2 and brought it over to my house where we compared my G1 to his G2. Ultimately after that shootout, I opted to keep my G1 for (IMO) a slight performance increase by being able to use the lower PD/SS for the same visual experience (again... only IMO). The G2 felt a bit more comfortable, but my G1 works for me as is. YMMV, just my .02 cents etc, etc.... Now if my G1 shits the bed, than yeah... I'll pickup the G2

My G1 died on me, but extended warranty allowed me to upgrade it to a G2.

I think the G1 was just fine, but I very much enjoy the improved contrast of the picture, lenses, and the new motion controllers.  Games, especially flight sims, seemed somewhat washed out due to low contrast on the G1.  I don't think it's a deal breaker, (not sure if it really justifies spending $600+), but I'm very happy with the G2 so far.

Long answer short, if I still had a G1 that worked just fine, I would wait.

Edited by NakedSquirrel

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

If you have money to spare, go for it. It's a significant enough improvement in contrast and colour accuracy that I think it's money well spent. However, don't expect a revolutionary leap in resolution, and the DCS performance issues will be identical between the G1 and G2.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I’ve got a G1 and I love it. Hard to think how G2 could be that much better for the turnaround cost. Even if I’m wrong, it’s not like the G2 is going to be the last VR headset designed and built. What I’m really waiting for is someone to make something like a G2 but have 10-20% wider FOV. Of course that implies a better API being used by DCS and the hardware capable of running it, then, I’m all in!

I’m giving it a year or two and then, lookout. I reckon right now you’ve got a headset that is essentially as good as money can buy. Save the turnaround cost for the Gen 3 or 4, no doubt that one will blow your tiny mind. I also suspect that given the cost of both of them is similar, you’re not likely to get much for the G1 as it’s not worth much to anyone except those who already have one and love it. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

I have moved from G1 to G2 and was disappointed with sweet spot.

I am fine with Reverb´s FOV;  colors, contrast and tracking are better, yes.

Sharpness in the center is incredible, but the sweet spot is very, very small, less than 1/3 of shorter side.

Even with custom 3D printed front mask.

That G1-> G2 upgrade cost me ~400€ as I have sold G1, but I would pay 500€ more for whole area sharp picture.

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

Thanks for all the replies, I did order the G2 anyways, I just built a new pc and since I have to use my old RTX 2080Ti, I have some extra cash left over.. I'm not spending $3,000 for a new card lol...

G2 front mask pushes your eyes farther away from the lenses so the sweet spot is smaller?

Edited by coopercobra03
errors

worth a look.  I sure like it.  

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

13 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

worth a look.  I sure like it.  

Yeah still loving mine, use it a lot most every day. I could not go back to original face pad now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

14 hours ago, coopercobra03 said:

Thanks for all the replies, I did order the G2 anyways, I just built a new pc and since I have to use my old RTX 2080Ti, I have some extra cash left over.. I'm not spending $3,000 for a new card lol...

G2 front mask pushes your eyes farther away from the lenses so the sweet spot is smaller?

no, the custom mask may tune it a bit, but it is the lens issue

I was very surprised that no one from that YT clowns mentioned it.

comparing to G1, it may be more pronounced because the center is razor sharp

You will see.

• Like 1

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

7 hours ago, wju said:

no, the custom mask may tune it a bit, but it is the lens issue

I was very surprised that no one from that YT clowns mentioned it.

comparing to G1, it may be more pronounced because the center is razor sharp

You will see.

Okay thanks, wju