Clouds don't move, only "treadmill in place".

Not sure if this is a limitation or a bug.  Clouds don't actually move in their location (GPS location).  Yes they appear to move, but they never actually move in their position in the sky.  It would be amazing to have them actually move through the sky, creating different conditions at airports throughout the mission.  This might inspire go arounds, or even landing at an alternate site if conditions moved in that prevent people from landing.

Example with 80 knot winds up high and 8x time acceleration.

https://youtu.be/7SbxJap03xM

Edited by lastresort77
Typo

13 minutes ago, lastresort77 said:

Not sure if this is a limitation or a bug.  Clouds don't actually move in their location (GPS location).  Yes they appear to move, but they never actually move in their position in the sky.  It would be amazing to have them actually move through the sky, creating different conditions at airports throughout the mission.  This might inspire go arounds, or even landing at an alternate site if conditions moved in that prevent people from landing.

Example with 80 knot winds up high and 8x time acceleration.

https://youtu.be/7SbxJap03xM

They know.

This is the first iteration.

They will improve in time as the weather system is updated.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I also noticed now that every cloud preset seems to be not only 'static' like they don't move, but also appear to be exactly the same, every time I start a new mission with, say "clouds 3", every cloud layer and every clear area are always on the same position.

It's not meant as a complaint, I really do enjoy the new clouds, I know it's all WIP, but more than actual moving clouds I would love to see them randomized or procedurally generated with different seeds every time I start a new mission.

• Like 3

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

• 1 year later...

Have clouds stopped moving since the last Patch?  Either that or they seem to move unrealistically slowly.  I appreciate there's a wind speed setting for at least three altitudes, and if they haven't been set-up correctly clouds won't move as they should.  I know some missions require clouds to be in certain positions, at specific times, but that should be the exception, not the rule.  Overall the sky just feels dead at the moment.  A lack of shadows moving over the ground is a huge part of a general feeling of lifelessness.  I'm not asking for them to move unrealistically quickly, I'm just asking for a default setting that's realistic.

Edited by JupiterJoe

@JupiterJoe You are correct, cloud movement is now realistically dependent on the wind speed and direction.  IF the mission designer did not specify wind direction and speed in the editor the clouds will remain motionless.

The rest of this thread is irrelevant as it is about clouds that did not move with the wind since that was not a feature a year ago and was only recently implemented. The dangers of necroing an old thread...I wish we could archive these to avoid confusion.

• Like 2