NOOB Diving In Head First!

Roughneck

Hello everyone!  So I'm a fairly experienced old school flight simmer...going all the way back to F15 Strike Eagle on a Commodore 64!  LOL.  I've been following DCS stuff since the pandemic started and I finally built a PC good enough to run it.  Family PC just wouldn't cut it.  I just built a Ryzen 5900X, Asus ROG Dark Hero MB, EVGA 3080 FTW, 64mb DDR4 3600hz PC, Asus 43' 4K monitor 144hz.  Probably looking at the Reverb G2 for vr once I've got a feel for the game.

What I'm in need of next is a HOTAS and rudder pedals.  Think I've got it narrowed down to Thrustmaster Warthog or WinWing.  WinWing looks interesting because it includes stick, throttle, and desk extensions for $900.  Just wondering if I'm on the right track here?  And also looking for recommendations for pedals.  I've always flown with a twist joystick for rudder use...so I have no idea where to start there.

Anyways...just wanted to say hello and thanks for any input!

• Like 1

System:  Ryzen 5900X, Asus ROG Dark Hero MB, EVGA 3080 FTW, 64mb DDR4 3600hz

Controllers: Winwing Super Libra, Taurus, TO and Combat Panels, MFG Crosswind Pedals

Played: Falcon Allied Force, Falcon 4.0, Aces High, all the MS Combat Flight Simulators, Fleet Defender, F15 Strike Eagle (Commodore 64)🤣

Yes, Focus on the game first though.
Then youll work out what youre missing.
Download the free version, get to grips with the SU25, then when you can dismantle an airport with that, buy the FA18 and all the Maps.
From their, decide what you like, and buy more of that..
Some like the full HOTAS and rudder set-up, some just wanna use a keyb' and a mouse.
Youll be fine.

Edited by StevanJ
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, OG_19Kilo said:

What I'm in need of next is a HOTAS and rudder pedals.  Think I've got it narrowed down to Thrustmaster Warthog or WinWing.

Thrustmasters Warthog stick gimbals are below par, imo. Other valid options besides WinWing are VKB (but they don't offer a full throttle) or Virpil. Or a combo of one of these.

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I'm personally saving up for the whole Virpil set. I've had a TM Warthog for about 3 years now and the stick has just become pretty annoying at this point. The throttle is still great, mind you.

I'd say if you can afford a stick from the premium guys like VKB or Virpil then go for one of them, without a doubt. The only way I'd recommend a Warthog stick is if you were an A-10C nut who just wanted that grip. Unfortunately I don't think that grip can be bought separately like the TM Hornet grip can. When I say 'grip', by the way, it's because you could buy a TM Hornet grip and plug it into a Virpil/VKB base.

As for rudders... I think it depends what you want to fly. If you're into warbirds and helos then a good rudder is a good idea. I've used the cheap but effective Thrustmaster T-Flight pedals for years now, but saving for MFG Crosswinds as I'd like more precision for helos (Apache!!).

Anyway, long story short... it depends on your budget and what you want to fly 😉

• Like 2

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

4 hours ago, Desert Fox said:

Hey Kilo, see you've come a long way 😄

Would be important to know what you are looking to fly.

Eastern jets or western ones? Fighter or attack plane? Choppers? Era does make a difference too.

Looking at the budget of your PC and what you consider to spend HOTAS wise, really avoid Thrustmaster for sure. It's all plastic in a metal case and way less precise and durable than it's designed to appear.

Quality brands named already are VKB, Virpil, Winwing. If it's in your budget, head there.

Same with pedals. I've got a Thrustmaster one here and it somehow serves it's purpose but it's neither precise nor durable or a joy. If you can afford, the MFG Crosswind is the gold standard i guess especially for choppers.

We also got the input and output forums, which might be worth to spend a few cups of coffee at 😛

Hey DF,

I'm mostly looking to fly western aircraft.  Definitely the F-18 and F-14!  I did a lot of research last night and I think I've decided on the WinWing Super Libra and Taurus with the Take Off panel and Combat Ready panel.  Also looks like I'm gonna go with the MFG Crosswind pedals.  I like the idea of the WinWing setup because they all seem to work well together.  Now I just have to wait until its all in stock...same issue I had when I started buying parts for this pc!  LOL.

Thanks for all the input guys!

• Like 1

Controllers: Winwing Super Libra, Taurus, TO and Combat Panels, MFG Crosswind Pedals

Played: Falcon Allied Force, Falcon 4.0, Aces High, all the MS Combat Flight Simulators, Fleet Defender, F15 Strike Eagle (Commodore 64)🤣

I'm an old 19Kilo too, I was on the OG M1.  I'm in the same place as you in DCS, total NOOB. 

I picked up a used Thursmaster T16000M hotas to start with till higher end Hotas's are available again, but I cant seen to find where to buy Hotas' in the US (other than the Warthog).  I Invested in a good computer, and decided to start with the F-18 Hornet as a good all around do everything module to start with and learn. I also love WWII aircraft so I picked up the P-47 with the Normandy map of course. 

I'm looking at WinWing and Virpil Hotas's.  It looks like you can only order the WinWing direct from China, any idea of shipping cost to the US?

good luck and Thanks,

David

• Like 1

What I have found is that good quality components are both expensive, but also 'Out of Stock' for weeks upon weeks, requiring that you keep your search ongoing. You, end up starting with the less expensive, lower quality, yet available item while on the search.

I am very happy with the Slaw Device RX Rudder, they are 100% top quality!!! They come out of Poland, the gentleman will take your order and notify you when they are ready for shipping (could be several months), then notify you that they are ready.  it is not until that point that you are required to remit any money. 

• Like 1

The Thrustmaster T16000M is a good starting point if you don't want to go all in right from the start. I've started there, too.

I moved up pretty fast though. The unadjustable spring force bugged me. It's kind of ok as long you only fly fixed wing.

But I like helicopter flying and so I moved to a mixed Vipil/VKB-setup with deskmount and extensions and so on. Never, not for 1 sec, did I regret it.

It's expensive but worth the money.

Personal opinion: Skip the TM Warthog! The grips are good (heavy!), I use an F16/A10-grip from TM with my VKB-base, but the TM Warthog joystick-base is crap.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 4/20/2021 at 9:33 AM, Ddawg said:

I'm an old 19Kilo too, I was on the OG M1.  I'm in the same place as you in DCS, total NOOB. 

I picked up a used Thursmaster T16000M hotas to start with till higher end Hotas's are available again, but I cant seen to find where to buy Hotas' in the US (other than the Warthog).  I Invested in a good computer, and decided to start with the F-18 Hornet as a good all around do everything module to start with and learn. I also love WWII aircraft so I picked up the P-47 with the Normandy map of course. 

I'm looking at WinWing and Virpil Hotas's.  It looks like you can only order the WinWing direct from China, any idea of shipping cost to the US?

good luck and Thanks,

David

Hi David!  Nice to see another old tanker on here!  Trained on M1 IP's at Knox in 1990...then went to the Opfor at Hohenfels where I went back in time on M60A3's!  My tank at Hohenfels was actually built the year I was born...1971!  LOL

As for WinWing...I have no idea about the shipping cost.  I keep checking their site.  It said restock on 4/22...but I must have missed it because I didn't see any available.  Besides shipping I'm worried about this VAT tax that could be added by customs?  Never dealt with that before...so that could be an additional cost.  I'm really wondering if it's worth the wait vs just breaking down and going TM Warthog and duel throttle.  Most people don't recommend TM...but they're the only thing available right now.

I also bought the F-18...plus the super carrier.  I thought it through and think the F-18 plus the carrier covers the most of what I want to do.  Air to Air, Air to Ground, and carrier ops.

Good luck in your search...seems like we're in the same boat!