F-18 radar has wrong RWS scan centering mode

Bear21

The 2.7 brought correct scan centering and Spotlight modes to TWS and the Spotlight in RWS is the same and works correctly (Spotlight=press TDC long and a narrow scan follows the TDC around). Strangely the RWS scan centering is not the same as TWS = the correct implementation, but a strange variant of Spotlight with no TDC X, it then scans for a while like a Spotlight and then times out to normal RWS scan parameters? Trackfile attached.  

2021.04.16 F-18 radar RWS wrong scan centering .trk

Edited by Bear21
  • Like 2

HP Envy 34 TM16000/TWCS/TFRP. Simrig: I7-8700, 32GB, RTS2080Ti, 4K U32590C, TrackIR5, MG-T50C2 stick/base, T50CM2 throttle, CH Pro pedals

What you're seeing is an attempt at acquisition; a mini raster scan. What should happen, though, is a TDC depress in RWS over empty space sets the center just like TWS MAN. It's definitely wrong at the moment, and the lack of centering ability in RWS (aside from Spotlight) makes RWS quite hard to use. Such a basic function.

Mini raster should only happen when a hit or trackfile is determined to be under the cursor I believe, and the TDC is pressed (Manual Acq) or Castle switch is bumped (Fast Acq). Of course TDC depress over a track would designate it first; only over the L&S would do STT and the mini raster. Castle will always STT though. Paging @Mo410

Edited by Jak525
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Double action of the TDC or fast acq will command a mini raster provided no L&S and nothing under the cursor - or if a lock is commanded and the radar is having difficulty meeting the requirements to track (like an aging out hit that is no longer valid).  Similar to SPOT, but will time out and return to search.  Undesignate should stop it, but it seems like you action the TDC in DCS to get it to stop.  

Edut - So not likely a bug, just needs fixing to have the correct implementation

Edited by Mo410
Clarification

5 minutes ago, Mo410 said:

Double action of the TDC or fast acq will command a mini raster provided no L&S and nothing under the cursor - or if a lock is commanded and the radar is having difficulty meeting the requirements to track (like an aging out hit that is no longer valid).  Similar to SPOT, but will time out and return to search.  Undesignate should stop it, but it seems like you action the TDC in DCS to get it to stop.  

Edut - So not likely a bug, just needs fixing to have the correct implementation

Ah OK, double action. Single action is causing the raster now, and there's no RWS scan centering available whatsoever.

• BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • 1 month later...

This bug was reported on 17 April, was first labeled "Correct as is", then after my plea to BIGNEWBY changed to "Reported". But nothing has happened. We are now two months later and three releases, and no change. This is a BIG bug, the F-18 radar is the only contemporary radar in DCS that can't offset its can center in search (RWS), it can only scan straight ahead (except for using Spotlight which is not the same thing).

Please:

1. Change the present RWS miniScan (which is a lock-on procedure and indeed results in an STT) to follow a double TDC depress.  

2. Implement the RWS single TDC press outside a brick/track to change the scan center like in TWS (which has the correct modes).

The text and discussions in the original thread is  correct as is the provided track, no need to provide a new one. Everything is still the same since April.

Edited by Bear21
  • Like 2

HP Envy 34 TM16000/TWCS/TFRP. Simrig: I7-8700, 32GB, RTS2080Ti, 4K U32590C, TrackIR5, MG-T50C2 stick/base, T50CM2 throttle, CH Pro pedals

• ED Team

Hi,

no need for the double post, once it is fixed it will be in the change log

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 11 months later...

With the RWS scan azimuth offset from center (in this example via AZ/EL), the antenna elevation will return to 0° when an STT mini-scan is commanded.

Secondary issue: Scan azimuth center also returns to 0° ATA at the conclusion of the mini-scan.

RDR_STT_ELEV.trk

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• Tholozor changed the title to Antenna elevation returns to 0° during STT mini-scan with offset RWS scan azimuth

To add though... TDC Depress in RWS should center the scan volume, not command a the mini-scan that DCS does. I've sent proof before, I think I made a report that was accepted but I forget now. I could make a new one.

• Like 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Thanks for finding it! Hopefully it can get fixed soon.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.