FIXED: Do you also notice 2.7 Render distance left/right eye slightly different?

Flextremes

Fixed: "In the WMR settings for Headset display under experience options if you have it set to Optimise for performance you get the object desync. Set it to Best visual quality and it works as it should. "  found by user Dayglow

First: 2.7 is such a blessing in VR, the ED team deserve a lot praise. I'm a casual DCS fan/flyer, for more than a 2 decades (since Flanker 2), but never I have experienced such and improvement in fidelity AND performance in the same release. 

Maybe I found a consistent bug, that starts to stand out once you notice it. In VR, with my reverb G2 (on a RTX3090, 5900x), the render distance of trees and cities (set by the 'visible range' option) is slightly different. I find it especially noticeable with the render distance in populated areas because they are dense with objects, but of course everything is affected that is configured through the 'visible range' option.  This is noticeable in both the Caucasus and Vegas map. 

Quite quickly I noticed a got a weird kind of shimmering in the distance. When I closed my left or right eyes, the shimmering is gone and clearly for one eye objects are rendered a little further then the other. 

Once you notice it it will stand out. Nothing dramatic, but this should be an easy fix for ED if this indeed is a bug. 

Do you notice this too? Is there a fix possible? If not, if so I will report the bug. 👍

Edited by Flextremes

I have the same CPU/GPU/headset as you and I don't think I see this. What are your settings ? SteamVR SS, PD, visible range settings etc ?

Is there a particular instant action mission or track I could run to try and recreate ?

Edited by ShaunX
  • Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Nope it is everywhere. It is only noticeable at the edge of the rendering distance (set by 'visible range', does not matter what setting), where ground objects fade/pop in. Just close left or right eye, alternate, one eye pop in object are rendered slightly farther. Those object are only visible for one eye, creating a weird shimmering effect that causes minor eye strain: the brain has difficulty to compute this :).

Did a cleanup/repair to be 100% sure I have a clean install with 2.7.

Really appreciate you checking this. If this is me, I need to start finding out what causes this: DCS settings, Nvidia, WMR, Steam VR... 

I still don't see it. I'll try some more tests later today when I finish my gardening chores

In the meantime, if you want to seriously improve definition at range in VR, check out this thread.

This is the recent version for DCS

Either pop it in your mod manager or copy the files in the BIN folder into the Root DCS\bin folder. The files are unique and so don't overwrite any DCS files in there, so easy to remove again too.ReshadeVR_sharpen_color NEXUS.zip

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

Nice coincidence! I just did this before just before you suggested it: awesome, this shader mod is a keeper without doubt.

A easy reproduction scenario is: fly over the Vegas suburbs, at 2000ft, pause: look at the pop-in distance for small buildings and objects: close one eye, then the other. The left eye has a higher render distance then right.

What hardware are you using? Maybe it is specific to my setup. thanks again for checking, no rush, there are so many more important things in life 👍

If others with similar setup as mine could check this, highly appreciated!

If this is specific to me, I have a very long list of debugging to do 😂

Edited by Flextremes

I have the same hardware setup as you on which is why I picked this up, see my signature. How are you finding the 5900x? Do you bother using PBO or even the new PBO2 curve optimiser/single core stuff ? It's my first AMD so I'm sticking with stock for now..which is actually coping very nicely indeed on pretty maxed out settings.

First, my problem is now fixed: either by deleting the fxo folder, setting lod to 'clamp' in nvidia control panel and rebooting amongst many settings I reviewed. I have zero issues now. 👍

Thanks for checking, really helpful, it is great I did not report a bug when the problem proved to be on my end. 

About AMD,

I use ramtuner 'safe' settings to optimize ram and run 3600mhz/1800mhz FCLK> this is one is worth it.

I use AMD Ryzen master to set OC in the basic setting and leave it at that for now. 

I just switched from 5800x to 5900x. The 5800x proved to be close to impossible to improve performance. Still learning my 5900x, but I don't hold my breath. It is awesome as it is, also for DCS.

I do have access to the latest CTR tuning (overclocking tool), but my 5900x is what CTR calls a 'bronze' class, so really difficult to OC.

There is more potential, but for DCS is does nothing you will get about 20% utilization max. 

Edited by Flextremes

• Flextremes changed the title to FIXED: Do you also notice 2.7 Render distance left/right eye slightly different?

My pleasure, glad to hear it's resolved. While I'm here, one question.. Are you seeing the new circular/octaganal VR mask on your desktop mirror ? I ask as I'm one of a few who are still just seeing the regular square mirror and wondering if it might relate to my hardware.

I did change it from: Optimize for performance to Best visual quality when I was troubleshooting, following the guide from https://vr4dcs.com/.

I reviewed so many settings while troubleshooting, I forgot to mention this. This must have been the specific solution for this particular problem. 👍

Edited by Flextremes