Rain Droplets aren't showing in Overcast And Rain Preset 3

• ED Team

Condition:

Aircraft - F-16C Viper
Map - Caucasus (not a factor)
Environment - Multiplayer hosting a server (not a factor)
Weather - "Overcast with Rain 3" Preset
Time of day - Morning (not a factor)

Mission - Scramble mission (not a factor).

Description/Report:

Flight begins cold and dark. Canopy is either opened or closed, no rain droplets are observed.

Bug/error/glitch description:

Checked the menu option and tried several different aircraft previously known to depict rain droplets on the canopy. No change.

Additional:

I performed a complete repair and deleted both Metashaders and FXO folders. No luck.
I have no texture or shader mods and tried this with both custom and default pain jobs.
I tried other presets "Overcast with Rain 1" and "Overcast with Rain 2" and as you can see from the images below, the droplets are depicted.

"Overcast with Rain 1"
Screen_210417_132919.jpg
"Overcast with Rain 2"
Screen_210417_133002.jpg
"Overcast with Rain 3"
Screen_210417_133044.jpg

Edited by 701

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

10 minutes ago, 701 said:

Condition:

Aircraft - F-16C Viper
Map - Caucasus (not a factor)
Environment - Multiplayer hosting a server (not a factor)
Weather - "Overcast with Rain 3" Preset
Time of day - Morning (not a factor)

Mission - Scramble mission (not a factor).

Description/Report:

Flight begins cold and dark. Canopy is either opened or closed, no rain droplets are observed.

Bug/error/glitch description:

Checked the menu option and tried several different aircraft previously known to depict rain droplets on the canopy. No change.

Additional:

I performed a complete repair and deleted both Metashaders and FXO folders. No luck.
I have no texture or shader mods and tried this with both custom and default pain jobs.
I tried other presets "Overcast with Rain 1" and "Overcast with Rain 2" and as you can see from the images below, the droplets are depicted.

"Overcast with Rain 1"
Screen_210417_132919.jpg
"Overcast with Rain 2"
Screen_210417_133002.jpg
"Overcast with Rain 3"
Screen_210417_133044.jpg

Already reported (several times now) and acknowledged by ED 😉

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Also missing from the canopy of your aircraft when you fly through clouds.....

Clouds are made of moisture....which deposits on your aircraft when you fly through them.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 6:06 PM, VampireNZ said:

Also missing from the canopy of your aircraft when you fly through clouds.....

Clouds are made of moisture....which deposits on your aircraft when you fly through them.

Really a mystery to me how ED overlooked this. Everyone of us has seen the condensation / accumulation of moist in a passenger yet when flying through thick clouds.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pocket Kings said:

Really a mystery to me how ED overlooked this. Everyone of us has seen the condensation / accumulation of moist in a passenger yet when flying through thick clouds.

Are you referring to the droplets at 8:30 - 8:40 in the UHawk video?

Why do you assume this feature has been missed by ED? You do realize that everything you see in DCS 2.7 is still heavily WIP, do you?

This wish thread is merely started to make sure ED doesn't miss this, but I'm pretty sure they already thought about it before we started this thread.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I'm not a GFX artist and any graphics related programming is on the other side of the aisle from where I stand. However, the server is aware where you are (X,Y,Z, heading, speed), where the clouds are and how thick they are + the global prefix. From there it should just be:

While true;

IF [

Clouds density > X;

AND IF [

Player in contact with clouds;

]

THEN [

render raindrops on canopy;

]

]

sleep 200 ms;

done

Something like that. Could have even been a static rendering thread, one that's indifferent to speed. However, such approach would've greatly improved immersion and also the tactical value of clouds further! Because it then takes a few additional seconds for the raindrops to fully disappear after clearing the clouds.

I recognize that clouds and weather in 2.7 are WIP, but that's an obvious overlook on EDs' behalf in my opinion.

Have you tested your pseudocode so ED can copy & paste it?🤨 You said you recognize this as WIP then three words later you said it's and obvious overlook. All ED has done is create a base for what's to come later. There's loads of weather attributes that are not currently present, such as lightening, fog, wind effecting clouds, etc. Not to mention the bugs that were reported. This is just a base.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Well since we lower the deck to puberty altitude, be my guest:

Have you, my friend, on the other hand watched the video I posted up there before ranting about my code? A video by a SOLE programmer? Even if he wasn't alone and had a team of five, what he accomplishes as to the weather system is astonishing. Compare that to the 160 employees of DCS, not all of them programmers of course, but you get the idea.

It's an overlook, one that isn't terribly hard to implement if you have the rendering animation implemented after all.

Edited by Pocket Kings
typo

On 5/8/2021 at 2:40 AM, Pocket Kings said:

WOW - Those clouds look amazing! With my years flying and my experience with flight sims, this is the best looking most realistic simulation of cloud I have ever seen.

Could do without the raindrop sound when flying through cloud, and the droplet buildup is prob a little 'fast' for the cloud exposure time - but a million times better looking than what we currently have in DCS. WIP I know....

I personally find it interesting that stuff like this that has a direct impact on pretty much 100% of DCS customers (that fly aircraft...in the air), as opposed to specific aircraft system/weapon modeling etc. that may impact just a small percentage that own that aircraft, doesn't get more of a priority. While I would like to see a feature-complete Viper before I literally die of old age, I would not mind it being delayed so much if it meant a better environment to fly ALL my DCS aircraft, as opposed to waiting for the Hornet to have another targeting pod, or another random long range weapon etc. etc. and the Hornet to be 'complete' (like that ever happens in DCS). Just IMHO.

• Like 2

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...
On 5/7/2021 at 10:40 AM, Pocket Kings said:

This is the best cloud implementation I've ever seen even beats MSFS 2020! WOWZA. This would be incredible in DCS. The rays coming through the clouds!

• 8 months later...