Wind has basically no effect on the flight dynamics

Mad_Shell

The wind does not effect how the Gazelle flies. I put a 50 kts with turbulence, but it was possible to hover and fly just as usual, and no turbulence felt. The only difference is that the speed gauge indicates  the wind speed in a hover, and during the hover you don't need pedal (I guess because IAS > 80 kmph) and if you fly against wind you can reach VNE and stall.

Edited by Mad_Shell
  • Thanks 1

I should offer a slight correction in that if you have non-metric units, turbulence will be in increments of 0.1 ft/sec. 1 foot per second is approx 0.6knots. The maximum you can set in the mission editor is 197 or 19.7ft/sec which is approx 12 knots.

Edited by Ironwulf
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2021 at 2:05 PM, Ironwulf said:

So just to be clear, you put 250 in the turbulence section? Because per the manual, it says that the turbulence is in 0.1m/sec increments. 1m/sec approx equals 2kts

I put the wind at 50 kts, the turbulence I don't remember the exact number (in the teens probably). Anyway, it's clear the the Gazelle speed is calculated relative to the ground, not the air, which is incorrect. 

IRL, if you have a 50 kts wind and the Gazelle level flies against it as fast as possible, its air speed will reach the maximum cruise speed, and its ground speed will be: GS = air speed - wind speed.

In DCS in the same situation, it's the Gazelle ground speed that reaches the maximum cruise speed! if the wind speed if high enough, air speed can reach VNE and retreating blade stall condition while cruising as usual, which is stupid.

• Like 1

@Mad_ShellYou are not alone. The FM on the Gazelle module only takes wind direction and wind speed as a vector and pushes the game object in that direction. To bring the Gazelle on the level of all the other DCS modules, the FM needs a serious upgrade.

• Like 2

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules