No RPM drop on run-up check, while switching magnetos?

Kappi

Hello,

I noticed that there is no RPM drop in the Spitty when switching one magneto off, like you do during the run-up check. According to the RL manual there should be a drop which shouldn't exceed 150 rpm.

grafik.png

Also the rpm drop can be heard in this YT video:

Please find attached my trk.-file.

Greetings and thanks for checking out,

Kappi

Spitfire Mk.IX No RPM Drop on magneto switch

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

On 4/21/2021 at 10:34 PM, grafspee said:

I just tested it. Definitely rpm drop is present in spitfire.

You have a noticeable (tachometer and sound) RPM drop when switching one magento off and keeping the other one on? 🤔

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

33 minutes ago, Kappi said:

You have a noticeable (tachometer and sound) RPM drop when switching one magneto off and keeping the other one on? 🤔

No, rpm drop will depend on sparkplugs conditions, if rpm drop is higher then 150 then you need to replace or check left or right bank.

So in RL situation you wont change spark plugs before every flight, so this test shows pilot how good or how bad sparkplugs are.

In case of DCS you have brand new engine every time you pick plane, expect minimal rpm drop.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

57 minutes ago, Kappi said:

You have a noticeable (tachometer and sound) RPM drop when switching one magento off and keeping the other one on? 🤔

The only warbird in DCS which has a serious and audible RPM drop during mag check is 109. Fws are less noticeable, while in all Allied birds the drop is minimal and thus not audible at all. But it's there allright.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

48 minutes ago, grafspee said:

No, rpm drop will depend on sparkplugs conditions, if rpm drop is higher then 150 then you need to replace or check left or right bank.

So in RL situation you wont change spark plugs before every flight, so this test shows pilot how good or how bad sparkplugs are.

In case of DCS you have brand new engine every time you pick plane, expect minimal rpm drop.

Well, I'm aware of that, but nevertheless would it add more immersion if all the engines had a 'used' sound/behaviour and won't behave like brand new engines. For example, like Art-J mentioned, the 109 has exactly that drop. Let's see what the devs make out of it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just now, Kappi said:

Well, I'm aware of that, but nevertheless would it add more immersion if all the engines had a 'used' sound/behaviour and won't behave like brand new engines. For example, like Art-J mentioned, the 109 has exactly that drop. Let's see what the devs make out of it.

109 has different engine, and it has brand new engine as well.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

51 minutes ago, grafspee said:

109 has different engine, and it has brand new engine as well.

In the DB605 of the 109 you should burn free the plugs or change them having a drop of more than 50 RPM, which is definitely more right now in DCS. So I don't share your opinion that the engine in the 109 should be brand new.

grafik.png

But I agree that we disagree. 😉

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At least ED always says that engine and plane are brand new.

Anyway original post was about no RPM drop while checking Mags, which is obvious not true.

Edited by grafspee

• 1 month later...