Reverb G2 Reprojection broken in 2.7?

Mr109

Hi All,

I’m hoping someone has an idea about this.

The rig:

5800x boosting to 5ghz

32gb 3600 memory

nvme ssd

3090fe

The problem:

With motion reprojection enabled the FPS fluctuates between 39-45 FPS, mostly at the 45 but a regular almost rhythmical dip to 43-41-39 and then back. This causes most unpleasant stutter.  Frame times for both the CPU and GPU are always below 20ms - they don’t dip even during the stutter.

It makes no difference what settings I use in game. GPU usage hovers around 80%. All maps the same. 
If I disable motion reprojection the FPS doesn’t drop below 45fps, mostly in the high 50’s - which is reflective of the frame time data. However 45fps is not enough in VR - for me anyway.
Same settings in 2.5 would lock to 45 and never dip below - I’m happy with that, I like as much candy as possible and motion reprojection makes the experience silky smooth. I’ve always run SS 100% and PD1.

What I’ve tried:

- complete reinstall

- various nvidia drivers

- forcing vsync off / on

- Steam SS 70-120% (pd always 1) - this has no effect on frame rate.

- Reinstall steam VR

Worth noting:

- If I set SS to 60% the FPS locks to 45, but I don’t think this means this is a raw GPU power issue. Remember my GPU frame times are always below 20ms with 100% SS and I’ve minimised every other setting in an attempt to rule out straight power issues. This suggests to me that there is something about the Motion Reprojection and 2.7 that is not working correctly, 2.5 is absolutely fine.

Anybody else notice the same with Reverb G2? I notice others have the same or similar setups to me?

Thanks for any help.

Al

• Thanks 1

I have a similar setup to you in terms of HMD and GFX card and I can't say I've noticed this behaviour. I do see occasional dips below 45FPS since 2.7 but mainly in Syria and I've put this down to the first relase of 2.7 VR, but still perfectly playable for me at least. I have motion reprojection set to "always on" in SteamVR so I will never see above 45FPS.  There was a recent SteamVR update that I got a couple of days ago, could it be related to this? Did you keep your old 2.5.6 install? If so run up 2.5.6 and see if you have the same issue (I kept the main 2.5.6 directory and a copy of my SavedGames/DCS directory for this purpose). As an aside, with pretty high settings there's no way I can or could get 45FPS constantly at 100% SS. I personally run with 80% and @Kegetys / @speed-of-heat VR shaders mod.

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Works for me, did not notice any issues, maybe except some new effects causing severe fps drop.

80% gpu usage sounds a bit too high for reprojection to work. It requires some headroom left. You can always enable the indicator overlay and check how is it working https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

Also make sure HAGS is disabled, it can mess with reprojection.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

2 hours ago, zildac said:

I have a similar setup to you in terms of HMD and GFX card and I can't say I've noticed this behaviour. I do see occasional dips below 45FPS since 2.7 but mainly in Syria and I've put this down to the first relase of 2.7 VR, but still perfectly playable for me at least. I have motion reprojection set to "always on" in SteamVR so I will never see above 45FPS.  There was a recent SteamVR update that I got a couple of days ago, could it be related to this? Did you keep your old 2.5.6 install? If so run up 2.5.6 and see if you have the same issue (I kept the main 2.5.6 directory and a copy of my SavedGames/DCS directory for this purpose). As an aside, with pretty high settings there's no way I can or could get 45FPS constantly at 100% SS. I personally run with 80% and @Kegetys / @speed-of-heat VR shaders mod.

Yeah still got 2.5 installed and it's fine. Like you I always ran with reprojection always on previously.

I haven't put kegarty mon 2.7 yet, I'll give that a go.

It's a very similar thing that happened with the first release of Fs2020 vr, there was an update to that which gave me smoothness.

Cheers

Al

Edited by Mr109
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, some1 said:

Works for me, did not notice any issues, maybe except some new effects causing severe fps drop.

80% gpu usage sounds a bit too high for reprojection to work. It requires some headroom left. You can always enable the indicator overlay and check how is it working https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

Also make sure HAGS is disabled, it can mess with reprojection.

I've used fpsvr to monitor it, GPU use is locked at 80% and frametimes are in the 15-17ms range. This gives plenty of headroom for 45fps reprojected. It's the fact that knocking SS down to 80% and putting all settings to low has no effect on the FPS, literally no effect, not even 1 fps.

I can see what you're saying, but I don't think this is about GPU load.

In 2.5 if I set SS to 150% I can induce judder, but it's stable judder (if that makes sense) where the FPS is always low. 2.7 fluctuate up and down with my head not moving sat on the carrier deck? 

Thanks for the input.

2 hours ago, Mr109 said:

Yeah still got 2.5 installed and it's fine. Like you I always ran with reprojection always on previously.

I haven't put kegarty mon 2.7 yet, I'll give that a go.

It's a very similar thing that happened with the first release of Fs2020 vr, there was an update to that which gave me smoothness.

Cheers

Al

Strange, not really sure what to suggest as you seem to have already run through all the usual suspects in terms of config, repair etc etc. Does 2D behave the same? The fact that 2.5.6 still behaves itself seems to suggest a config issue or conflict. If you zap your options.lua and start fresh any difference?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, zildac said:

Strange, not really sure what to suggest as you seem to have already run through all the usual suspects in terms of config, repair etc etc. Does 2D behave the same? The fact that 2.5.6 still behaves itself seems to suggest a config issue or conflict. If you zap your options.lua and start fresh any difference?

2d was running 100 FPS in the very brief look I had. I’m exclusively v2.

Thanks for the options tip, I’ll give it a go.

It may be that WMR + steamvr reprojection does have a weird high overhead and 2.5 was fast enough not to notice. 
It’ll run at 60% SS and with reshape it’s not too bad for sharpness. I tried Speed-of-heat’s version of the Kegarty mod to buy a few frames back, it worked but kept crashing during the mission.

Cheers for the input, I’ll keep fiddling when I get chance.

Al

• Like 1

I have the exact same annoying behaviour with similiar specs:

5900X, 3090, 64Gb, SSD.

CPU Frametime 7-8ms, GPU Frametime 15-16ms -> fps fluctuation between 39-45fps and a lot of stuttering. Before 2.7 there were no problems and now the performance is really messed up 😞

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2021 at 9:37 PM, hooti said:

I have the exact same annoying behaviour with similiar specs:

5900X, 3090, 64Gb, SSD.

CPU Frametime 7-8ms, GPU Frametime 15-16ms -> fps fluctuation between 39-45fps and a lot of stuttering. Before 2.7 there were no problems and now the performance is really messed up 😞

Yeah, the disparity between frametimes, which should translate to 50+ FPS and a framerate that goes 45-41-39 in an almost rhythmical manner is odd.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mr109 said:

Yeah, the disparity between frametimes, which should translate to 50+ FPS and a framerate that goes 45-41-39 in an almost rhythmical manner is odd.

Just to add, this is without either of the latest windows updates, as WMR prevents them installing.....ah the joys of WMR....come on valve give me a high resolution headset that doesn’t require plugging into a particular USB port whilst performing a ritual, sacrificing a child, not touching the cable, or god forbid the headset port, hopping on one leg...etc....at least it’s comfortable and sharp in the middle.......

ED it’d be great if you can find a solution to the motion reprojection issue, FS2020 did, but understandable if you can’t.

Al

• Like 1

I have a very similar rig (see my sig) and don't experience this at all. Very smooth and locked 45FPS on all my terrains. I have PD=1 and SS=80%

Can I ask, have you been through and applied all optimisations as suggested in

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/257819-my-3090-settings-for-my-g2-256

Also, and I'm no expert as this is my first AMD cpu, but are you running with a PBO or auto OC boost? I've read that a boost across all cores can have a detrimental effect on single core performance - I run my 5900X at stock and I see my best single core boosting to 4.9ghz.

Assuming you're on an X570 mobo, and bearing in mind all the issues reported with its USB ports and the G2, have you tried using a different port or an external USB hub? I get all kinds of problems with the G2 and ANY of my mobo USB ports but it's perfect through an external, unpowered USB 3 hub.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Hi ShaunX, thanks for the input, yeah I’ve done the tweaks. I’m also running the 5800x with custom Pbo, best cores max at over 5ghz others at 4.950.. I’m on an external usb hub and that part of the G2 works perfectly for now. 

I’d be happy with 80% and 45fps locked to be honest.  

cheers

al

Weird. You've commented out this line in default.settings to ensure WMR and steamVR don't both try to motion smooth ?

image.png

On 4/18/2021 at 7:12 PM, Mr109 said:

2d was running 100 FPS in the very brief look I had. I’m exclusively v2.

Thanks for the options tip, I’ll give it a go.

It may be that WMR + steamvr reprojection does have a weird high overhead and 2.5 was fast enough not to notice. 
It’ll run at 60% SS and with reshape it’s not too bad for sharpness. I tried Speed-of-heat’s version of the Kegarty mod to buy a few frames back, it worked but kept crashing during the mission.

Cheers for the input, I’ll keep fiddling when I get chance.

Al

..even 2D doesn't sound right to me. I did some benchmark tests on 2.7 in 2D on a low altitude track in Syria and I was averaging around 180 FPS.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

make sure HAGSis turned off.. it breakes motion smoothing 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I think I turned hags off as soon as I set up the PC. I’ve got sometime this afternoon, I’m going to try and get to the bottom of it.

I’m moving towards a complete PC re-install.

Thanks all, for the continued input, much appreciated.

Al