Too "glassy" and reflective water.

Hi,

just my two cents … The water looks very nice to me. Waves , structure all is fine and looks realistic. But the reflections of clouds seems to be to much. 

I flew some years close to the Baltic sea and Northern sea. And I never saw that reflections I have now in DCS. So I switched the detail level of water to "medium" which is fine to me. 

In result: Water - great job, ED! But reflections are way to much. 

Cheers

Tom

64662797_866946600347318_5099640852108541952_n.jpg

65039692_866946623680649_219318012434448384_n.jpg

• Like 4

Born to fly but forced to work.

TomFliegerKLEIN.gif

9 minutes ago, TOMCATZ said:

Hi,

just my two cents … The water looks very nice to me. Waves , structure all is fine and looks realistic. But the reflections of clouds seems to be to much. 

I flew some years close to the Baltic sea and Northern sea. And I never saw that reflections I have now in DCS. So I switched the detail level of water to "medium" which is fine to me. 

In result: Water - great job, ED! But reflections are way to much. 

Cheers

Tom

64662797_866946600347318_5099640852108541952_n.jpg

65039692_866946623680649_219318012434448384_n.jpg

Agreed, the reflections are currently too strong, especially for clouds.

• Like 1

I'm using the "high" cloud and water setting. I might add that I flew heading 265 out to the Black Sea. It was 9 a.m., sun nearly at my six. I went fast, 950 kph and I noticed that the terrain and clouds passed by smoothly when looking out the window left and right. However, the cloud reflections on the water surface stuttered. The graphics engine updated them maybe at 1 Hz, probably even less. Really a bummer besides the already mentioned "minecraft style" reflections.

I think there's a issue with reflections as well in that they appear to be reflecting a generic skybox and not the actual lighting.  For instance, in these screenshots taken at sunset they don't appear to be reflecting the sunset, but rather a blue-sky mid-day sun.  There doesn't appear to be any of the orange hues of the sky actually in the water, resulting in a sort of odd paradox between what the water's doing and what the sky is doing.  It just looks plain funky given there are no light sources to be causing this effect on the water.  Oddly, it seems like it hits this the closer it gets to sunset.  Up until sunset the lighting appears to be fine.  

Edit: I do want to point out, this screenshot appears to be set up with the old clouds.  When I took a look at the mission, I noticed it did not have a cloud setting.  So this may in fact be a bug between how the sim is currently using old and new clouds.  The water may be attempting to reflect the new cloud engine while using the old clouds in the sky.   I'm attempting to watch the same effects with a cloud setting to see how the water changes.

DCS Sunset.jpg

Edited by AesclepiusCrow
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, AesclepiusCrow said:

The water may be attempting to reflect the new cloud engine while using the old clouds in the sky.   I'm attempting to watch the same effects with a cloud setting to see how the water changes.

This looks like this may actually be the case as the same mission at roughly the same time point appears to not have the same effect when the new cloud template is in the sky.  It may also be that the new clouds inhibit light properly while the old ones do not.   So for those having issues with the water reflections, it may be a case of monitoring what cloud template you're using in your mission on 2.7 - with no cloud template, it does appear that there is a water reflection/light status reflection issue.

DCS sunset 2.jpg

Wow great point and shots! I Think you are on to it. I need to turn up distance fog and adjust my settings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I have tried many different settings, but I agree,

something is not right with this new (2.7 stable) water reflections...

And although it gets better and better increasing the wind at sea level,

I never noticed something wrong prior to updating to 2.7, even with no wind...

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

I would say, let's be patient and look at those pictures from the Marianas release video:

image.png

image.png

As well as the introduction of F-16 Jdam by Wags:

image.png

Seems like they're cooking some great improvements to water rendering with less reflections, more realistic. This shouldn't take too long since it already appears in their videos.

• Like 6

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

Indeed... That Marianas water reflection looks far better...

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Yes, along with reflections on canopy being far too strong (strong dislike here), the glassy and reflective water is another step back in 2.7 compared to 2.56, IMHO.

• Like 4

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

On 5/7/2021 at 6:48 PM, AesclepiusCrow said:

I think there's a issue with reflections as well in that they appear to be reflecting a generic skybox and not the actual lighting.  For instance, in these screenshots taken at sunset they don't appear to be reflecting the sunset, but rather a blue-sky mid-day sun.  There doesn't appear to be any of the orange hues of the sky actually in the water, resulting in a sort of odd paradox between what the water's doing and what the sky is doing.  It just looks plain funky given there are no light sources to be causing this effect on the water.  Oddly, it seems like it hits this the closer it gets to sunset.  Up until sunset the lighting appears to be fine.  

Edit: I do want to point out, this screenshot appears to be set up with the old clouds.  When I took a look at the mission, I noticed it did not have a cloud setting.  So this may in fact be a bug between how the sim is currently using old and new clouds.  The water may be attempting to reflect the new cloud engine while using the old clouds in the sky.   I'm attempting to watch the same effects with a cloud setting to see how the water changes.

DCS Sunset.jpg

I see this a lot at night, really odd looking reflections on the water.  

• Like 1

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

I somehow tend to believe now that the sea is not reflecting the new 2.7 clouds,

but rather oddly some reflection map created together with the old ones.

In fact, if one selects "nothing" or the old clouds trough the sliders,

the reflections of the sea are quite OK.....

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

In latest Wags video we can see updated water on Marianas map.

Rather matte than glossy with smooth reflection up to the horizon. And even with some soft cloud shadows

675786.png

Edited by TheTaker
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, TheTaker said:

In latest Wags video we can see updated water on Marianas map.

Rather matte than glossy with smooth reflection up to the horizon. And even with some soft cloud shadows

675786.png

I hope it will be in the next OB patch... without hurting fps please ED. Any word about this? Thanks

• Like 1