Water is too dark and horrible

On 6/3/2021 at 4:23 AM, falcon_120 said:

Exclusive VR user here,

Its not that i don't like the new water as I see some improvements but there are a few things that are off right now, i will do my best to explain what i see:

• Water reflect the clouds too much, or better said it seems that clouds and the sky is reflecting on the water at times where they don't normally do (like when late in the afternoon where you should only see the sun). On top of that, the reflection is not "more or les static" but instead is changing hues and colors a bit; I mean when you see the sky not changing lighting conditions, like the if the sky reflected on water is taken from a Disney movie. Definetely needs tuning...
  • Something is off regarding clarity or height perception, don't know what it is but since 2.7, I had 2 crashes on water i haven't had for ages in 2.5.6 because i couldn't discern how close i was to the water until it was to late... Maybe it has to do with how small waves are now, but even low level fliying is quite difficult for me on water. The height perception improves looking 90 degrees left or right but not if i'm looking straight ahead at the HUD. I really don't know what it is....

On 6/3/2021 at 10:16 PM, DST said:

Everything improved masssively with the new update, I love the clouds with the jitters gone and the new explosions and smoke effects and everything - but why the hell does the water look so incredibly ugly now? It used to look awesome before 2.7 and now it´s just a glassy black mirror with almost none existant surface effects no matter which graphic options set.

Could some of the devs please state if this is intentional now or WIP or what, I would LOVE to have the awesome looking water back from before 2.7, really don´t get why there has to be such downgrade.

Agreed and also curious to know if this is a WIP. 

On 5/25/2021 at 11:17 PM, wilbur81 said:

My honest first impression of 2.7 was not about the clouds, but about how bad the gamma looked, introducing a sort of reddish, washed out hue to everything. If one brings the gamma any lower (I'm a 1.8 guy), the outside world in 2.7 starts to look a little better, but the cockpits become ridiculous.

I want gamma 1.0 for clouds, and still looks with too low contrast and definition.

I want cockpit with 2.1-2.4 depending craft.

I want sunshine areas at 1.8 (1.8 guy here too).

I want shadow areas at 2.0-2.1.

Now the contrast, colors and brightness are all over the places here. I only play with Rift S so it is same for everyone for all Rift S users.

Flying at 14 clock in a overcast 4 or so makes everything look almost as a thunderstorm or night with 1.8.

Last patch I made observation that I didn't see anything on sea at 4000 ft altitude. Until I went to about 700 ft I started to see some waves, but sea was just black dip to look. And this with 9 m/s wind at sea level.

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

7 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Did anyone notice the much better looking water in the two videos Wags demoed today?

Not seen them, that's my viewing sorted

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

13 hours ago, Mustang said:

Did anyone notice the much better looking water in the two videos Wags demoed today?

Yeah I did! Thought it was only a personnal feeling... But it seems the surface texture at distance is much better, and not due to reflexions.

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

2.7 water is quite a step back from 2.5.x.

Next 2 shots, water on medium. I'm not impressed at all. It just looks plain, flat and damn ugly.

And then that wake behind the carrier...☹️, seems like an early 90's video game.

Water_1.png

Water_2.png

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

So WIP water did make it to the stable version and made it look silly.... 

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

If you look at the latest videos Matt has been posting and yesterday's sale trailer you will see that changes are coming to water rendering. This one is particularly revealing. I think the new water will come with the Marianas and the new fog...

Edited by Jafergon

Water is definitely being improved according with some of the latest videos and screens. It looks like they are finally fixing the phisically incorrect sun shine (glitter) over the water and adding some wind/temperature blotches over the water's surface, great addition to make the water more accurate!!!!👍. Some examples:

Sin título.jpg

In_Dev_11.06.2021.1.jpg

Captura de pantalla (1618).png

In_Dev_28.05.2021.3.jpg

However, I still think clouds shadows over water, particularly over the sun shine reflection, should be much darker and more defined. In the images above, they look a bit too bland and soft. They should look something like this:

srthjs.jpg

6728938-clouds-above-ocean-view-from-plane-Stock-Photo.jpg

airplane-window-view-at-high-altitude-crossing-ocean-boeing-777-400-BK11RE.jpg

DSC02124 (1).JPG

When looking at the sun reflection over the water in the backlight, the shadows of the clouds casting directly over it, are the most intense ones due to the higher difference in contrast between light reflected and shadows. This effect is great to determine clouds size and heigh over the water and looks stunning at distance. Really hoping ED can manage to bring us this as closer to reality as possible.

9421049-Ocean-view-through-the-airplane-Water-clouds-shadows--Stock-Photo.jpg

Edited by Ala12Rv-watermanpc
  • Like 6

Take a look at my MODS here

I've finally concluded (after working on CQ) that this is really a problem with the turbulence on the water being single order.  There's wind ripple, and five or six orders of other waves, ripples, and swells going on at once in a dynamic environment.  If you watch videos of aircraft around the boat you can really see how the multiple order turbulence blocks the kind of mirror-like reflections we get. 

Is it 'realistic'?  Maybe, but those reflections down low sure aren't.  People are pulling out pictures taken at 40,000 feet just to get close to our waterline reflectivity.  Since I don't think they're going to change the fluid dynamics model my vote would be 'unrealistic' turbulence and more realistic reflections.

Well, that and when you look at the wake of the CV doing 27 knots you can't not laugh. Even the Pegasus had more wake than that.