Hind and VRS?

Rhinozherous

Hello! 

As I fly the MI8 from time to time I wondered if anyone knows how prone the Hind is in regards of entering Vortex Ring State? 

If you go above a certain VS the Mi8 is lost and you have no or little chances to recovering from VRS. The huey is not that prone to VRS... I think because it is smaller and lighter.

Does anyone know if the HIND is more like the HUEY or more like the MI8 in regards of VRS? 

Edited by Rhinozherous

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Of course it is possible to save Mi-8 from VRS. As soon at it starts to shake before transitioning to hover that's your cue to add more power (or to be precise, pull the collective) or you risk entering into VRS. If you enter into VRS then you have to qucikly gain some horizontal or lateral speed, help yourself with pressing on a pedal too.

Hind is actually heavier than Mi-8 and as every helicopter it will require a lot of caution at decreasing altitude while being still with zero horizontal and lateral speed. Never exceed negative 3-4 m/s and you should be fine.

Although it was frequently taking off into air and landed as airplane, meaning pilots are mostly used to do rolling take offs and landings - it's safer and since it is a large helicopter and consequently it's generally safer that way for the aircraft and its surroundings on the tarmac.

Edited by SmukY

Helicopters don't fly, they just subdue the air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Mi8 is far too prone to entering VRS.

Yes, I'm aware of the lengthy debate on this topic. Sorry, but it's just a fact, as far as I'm concerned (of course I'm nobody when it comes to this, so naturally I don't expect anything to change based on what I say, no illusions on that front). But the Mi8's excellent simulation of rotary winged flight is tarnished by an overzealous implementation of how hard it actually is to enter VRS. Yes, I know how to avoid it in DCS (don't confuse 'hard' with 'realistic'). No, if helicopters, and the Mi8/17 were that prone to enter VRS is would be VERY widely published because people would be crashing them all the time.

I hope they don't go so far with the Mi24.

• Like 3

Thank you guys!

I hope the Hind is more on the easy side in terms of VRS. I am by far no helo expert, but always had the feeling the Hip is entering it too easy. 

Edited by Rhinozherous
  • Like 1

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

14 hours ago, ARM505 said:

The Mi8 is far too prone to entering VRS.

Yes, I'm aware of the lengthy debate on this topic. Sorry, but it's just a fact, as far as I'm concerned (of course I'm nobody when it comes to this, so naturally I don't expect anything to change based on what I say, no illusions on that front). But the Mi8's excellent simulation of rotary winged flight is tarnished by an overzealous implementation of how hard it actually is to enter VRS. Yes, I know how to avoid it in DCS (don't confuse 'hard' with 'realistic'). No, if helicopters, and the Mi8/17 were that prone to enter VRS is would be VERY widely published because people would be crashing them all the time.

I hope they don't go so far with the Mi24.

I used to think that as well, before I got more stick time with it and before I started flying it in VR. You have to take into account that we are flying these machines from our desktop PCs (for the most part) we are not sitting in our cockpit and most of us do not have 1:1 control schemes. In this case the collective is probably the most crucial part of the kit, because it is much longer than any throw of our desktop throttles it allows much finer precision control of power settings. 

• Like 3

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Just my two cents: It's not just the precision of the collective, it's also the extremely short interval between the shaking and full-blown VRS,

and the delay in lift response when pulling the collective.

It's very possible to get into VRS before the (non radar) VSI shows a dangerously high vertical speed due to it's delay. 

It's also possible to enter VRS before the radar VSI becomes active due to the nose-up attitude when braking too fast.

In other words, it's possible to enter VRS without any of the instruments warning you for it with enough time to respond. 

If you add wind to the equasion, it's also possible to reach 0 airspeed while having some groundspeed, which means that simply looking outside also isn't a foolproof method.

After crashing a few dozen times, us desktop pilots know how to avoid this, but if it were like this in the real thing, I think there would be less Mi8's in the world. 

If it's implemented the same way with the hind, we will also adapt to it, but the implementation of VRS is one of the things I'm most curious about for the hind.

But even something as small as a shorter delay on the VSI, and a bit higher VSI precision or a wider radar VSI range can make a big difference. 

Edited by malcheus
  • Like 3

I used to think that as well, before I got more stick time with it and before I started flying it in VR. You have to take into account that we are flying these machines from our desktop PCs (for the most part) we are not sitting in our cockpit and most of us do not have 1:1 control schemes. In this case the collective is probably the most crucial part of the kit, because it is much longer than any throw of our desktop throttles it allows much finer precision control of power settings. 
Yup! I agree. After I received K-51's excellent collective, everything's a lot easier, but one must still pay attention.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Well, I guess we know the answer to this question now (as to how the Hind will be modeled in regards to VRS).

I've only had some brief experience in the Hind at the moment (FPS issues in VR after the first crash is limiting my time in this module) - and I'm wondering what people think of the VRS.

I have absolutely no clue as to how easy it is to enter VRS in the hind in real life - but it seems very easy to enter it in DCS. I'm guessing with the conversation re VRS and the Mi-8 that this is intentional with the Hind and unlikely to change?

To me it seems easier to avoid VRS in the Hind than the Hip, but it isn't at the Ka-50's level of forgiveness. In terms of recovery, with a little altitude even the Hip can recover from full blown VRS where you're plummeting out of the sky like a brick. Just nose forward and get some movement going. Main thing is just don't drop the Hip at 50m, not much you can do in that situation. But honestly, you probably shouldn't be hovering 50m off the ground in the first place. That's a really dangerous place to be in any chopper. Too low to recover from a problem, too high to survive impact unscathed.

• Like 1

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

5.44. Vortex Ring.
5.44.1 Manifestation:
 - spontaneous intensive increase of the vertical rate of descent;
 - helicopter shaking and darting from side to side;
 - unstable readings of speed indicator and rate-of-climb indicator.

5.44.2. Pilot's Actions:
 - by deflecting the control stick away from oneself, create a pitch
angle of minus 5.....10 deg to accelerate forward speed and increase the
main rotor collective pitch to reduce altitude loss; do not allow main
rotor RPM dropping below permissible value;
 - after reaching a forward speed of 50...60 km/h, set the helicopter to
horizontal flight followed by further speed increase'

Note. The helicopter entering the vortex ring is possible during a
power-on descent and forward speed under 50 km/h and a
vertical rate greater than 5 m/s. In those cases the conditions of
the main rotor airflow change, resulting in possible spontaneous
intensive increase of the vertical rate of descent, shaking and
darting of the helicopter from side to side, and impaired
controllability.
The "vortex ring" mode is the most dangerous during descent at
low altitudes, because for recovery from this mode, an altitude of
20 to 200 m is required.

• Like 1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hind is more dynamic I feel...

In the MI8 it feels more like "VRS on or off".

In the Hind you still have to watch out what to do but it is much better to control and the edges between VRS or not are more dynamic. 

It is only my humble opinion but the Hind feels much more "natural". 

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Since I have glued my eyes to the VSI during decent and modulate the collective between 0 and -2 m I have not had a VRS problem. I wish the dev's could give us a VSI HUD so when we looked around we could always see the VSI gauge. That would be very helpful.

Edited by tusler

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

I rarely had VRS occur in the Hind. Maybe because the Hip has been a merciless trainer. Of course, once you get too comfortable with it is when you start making mistakes 😆

Not sure if it is modeled differently, but it feels less prone to it.

• Like 2

The main difference between the Mi-24, Mi-8 and UH1H is that the 24 doesn't shake or vibrate.

The "feel" is smooth from nominal descent rate to VRS so you don't "feel" it coming.

If ED could implement a vibration of sorts, that would help, however it may not be that way in the real helo.

• Like 2

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU