TID Brighness to low!

DarkStar79

11 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

The issue here is that this is not really a bug in the way it is being presented. You are using an exceptionally low gamma setting. We master at 2.2.
2.2 is the appropriate gamma level for the DCS renderer and tone-mapper.

It's possible the TID appears slightly dimmer in cloudy conditions now as the eye adjustment post processing considers clouds to be brighter than clear skies so we may tweak it a bit for the next patch.

Nothing was (intentionally) changed about the way we render fonts, lines or anything else on the TID or otherwise. Are you certain of this and not a change in settings?

I'm using 1.8 gamma just the same reasons that Schmidtfire said.  TDI just looks way thinner and harder to read and it's been like this for over 4 months or so, before the 2.7 patch which by the way crashes everytime on second mission load. Especially with F-14.

Nothing was (intentionally) changed about the way we render fonts, lines or anything else on the TID or otherwise. Are you certain of this and not a change in settings?

I know its not a bug, it’s just a enoying thing.
I’m using gamma 2.2 in VR and in daytime it’s really hard to see the TID in the HP reverb G2.

A easy fix is to just up the minimum brightness like 20-30% and it would be perfect.

Thiss issue have been here for a long time now. Pls just make the lines brighter!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DarkStar79 said:

daytime it’s really hard to see the TID

It was always a problem with avionic displays in full sun afaik. It takes SME to tell if the current state is realistic.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

It was always a problem with avionic displays in full sun afaik. It takes SME to tell if the current state is realistic.

No.

I had no problem at all to see the lines and symbol on the TID before they launched a patch like 3-4 months ago. Then something happens with the brightness.

You can clearly see the difference, it just needs to be little darker outside then the lines is way brighter like they where before.

They just need to be like 20-30% brighter at daytime. Pls just make it happend!

I don't want it based on previous state - I just want it close to real one, that's all.

The problem is that in VR we dont have the same resolution like the real aye have. So it always have to be a compromise.

This is a game and we definitely have to see the lines and symbols for it to be a enjoyable experience. It’s just irritating to always have to zoom in to see everything.

So it definitely needs fixing!

Or they can just make a option for us VR guys to make the TID brighter.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:36 PM, draconus said:

I don't want it based on previous state - I just want it close to real one, that's all.

Well, until they make a display that tricks your eye into seeing things like it does in the real wold, you're asking for unicorn scales. A game render and your eye don't work the same.

Edited by RustBelt
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 4:35 PM, Cobra847 said:

2.2 is the appropriate gamma level for the DCS renderer and tone-mapper.

I agree with the others reporting that the TID is now hard to see. I run DCS at 2.2 gamma with a display calibrated for 2.2. I also run VR at same gamma. The TID is too dim in both. Regardless of whether it is a "bug" or not, something changed a few months ago - before it was much easier to see.

• Like 1

F-14-AWG-9-Rear-Cockpit-Tactical-Informa
F-14-Radar-TID.jpg
IMG-1368.jpg

dcsg22.jpg

The brightness level becomes a bit better when zoomed in. At a normal FOV it is dark and graphics lacks the glow shown in the real life pictures above.

Cockpit lighting has been strange after switch from DCS 1.5.X. Red light becomes washed-out pink (M2000C instruments), Orange becomes washed out yellow/white (C-101
and Viggen RWR lights), Green becomes very light green (Viggen Radar display). Colors are washed out during daytime missions compared to 1.5.X with HDR and that affects modules across the board.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2021 at 9:55 AM, Blinde said:

I'm using 1.8 gamma just the same reasons that Schmidtfire said.  TDI just looks way thinner and harder to read and it's been like this for over 4 months or so, before the 2.7 patch which by the way crashes everytime on second mission load. Especially with F-14.

A bit of a necro reply, but i had been experimenting with the gamma settings, but changing geographic, time and weather conditions to match the ones of the sky over my head (or at least trying to) and the problem is much more complex then simple 1.8, 2.2 or anything in between. I took videos, photos and tried to calibrate them all with why i saw with my own eyes. Then i calibrated my screen to standard brightness, contrast and saturation values, or the closest i could get. Right now i use gamma of 2.1 but it's not perfect. It's just what seams to match my observations on most variables (like vegetation, water, tarmac reflections, shadows depth and contrast, haze....), but surely not all. I.E. shadows still look most authentic on 1.8. Sky hues near the zenith on 1.9. But it all changes for other surfaces and textures. Not to mention the time of the day and weather. DCS is still in development so i guess things will keep changing. For the time being i find 2.1 to be he "golden middle" though. Yeah, a bit too bright on a hazy, warm summer noon, but heck, nothing's perfect.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

We may increase the brightness of the TID slightly in one of the coming patches.

What we will not do however, is to boost it to unrealistic levels of brightness - and certainly not to levels seen on a photo with long exposure or at night. Keep in mind that the sun outputs a lot of lumens, and it will absolutely overwhelm backlighting for buttons and screens.

Edited by Cobra847
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Wish we had hands

• Like 2

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

1 hour ago, Cobra847 said:

We may increase the brightness of the TID slightly in one of the coming patches.

What we will not do however, is to boost it to unrealistic levels of brightness - and certainly not to levels seen on a photo with long exposure or at night. Keep in mind that the sun outputs a lot of lumens, and it will absolutely overwhelm backlighting for buttons and screens.

Understandable; however, limitations of this being a sim and using a monitor or VR should be considered too.  Just like various sounds have been unrealistically increased/amplified along with the amount of shake, rattle and roll seen at high AOA...it would be acceptable within reason to have unrealistic lighting in order to compensate.

• Like 5

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

56 minutes ago, Donut said:

Just like various sounds have been unrealistically increased/amplified...

...doesn't mean we need more of that.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

2 hours ago, Donut said:

Understandable; however, limitations of this being a sim and using a monitor or VR should be considered too.  Just like various sounds have been unrealistically increased/amplified along with the amount of shake, rattle and roll seen at high AOA...it would be acceptable within reason to have unrealistic lighting in order to compensate.

Agreed!

I do second @Dunx - wish we all had virtual hands 🙂 

• Like 4

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

14 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

Please do! The current brightness level is pretty hard to read, especially if not zoomed in and is a big strain on the eyes. It doesn't need that much more brightness, but a little bit more would be nice :smile:

Maybe you can just increase the maximum TID brightness, but leave the default brightness as it is currently, so everyone who has issues with the dim TID can turn the brightness up a bit?

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

10 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

Agreed!

Since you guys did the flashlight, which is bound to the mouse, would it be possible to use something similar which just casts a shadow, like a virtual hand would do, bound to the mouse pointer?

I know, and I like that the indications would not be readable in bright sunlight, but as acknowledged, in real live (TM) you would be able to use your hand to make things readable again. I have no idea how much work that would be, but maybe it is usable with the Phantom too, if you guys develop it as your next big thing  😉

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

Agreed!

I can't even count the number of times I used my VR hands to try and shade a washed out display only to be reminded that my virtual hands do not create virtual shadows.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

Since you guys did the flashlight, which is bound to the mouse, would it be possible to use something similar which just casts a shadow, like a virtual hand would do, bound to the mouse pointer?

I know, and I like that the indications would not be readable in bright sunlight, but as acknowledged, in real live (TM) you would be able to use your hand to make things readable again. I have no idea how much work that would be, but maybe it is usable with the Phantom too, if you guys develop it as your next big thing  😉

Yes, an idea like this has been floating around - but results to be seen. We know how to implement it, just haven't gotten around to it yet 🙂 

• Like 2

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

To be honestly I don't know that it's too dim it's just that the lines are so thin they are difficult to see in bright lighting conditions.

I can see NAV on the HSD just fine but the TID repeater is just a struggle.

• Like 1