Help: F-16 INS Aligmment?

animaal
Go to solution Solved by ice41,

Hi. I'm not putting this post in the "bug" section because just it's me doing something stupid. Can somebody please point out my error? It's INS alignment in the F16.

I think I'm following the same cold start process in the two attached tracks...

"day startup.trk" is a cold-startup in a mission I created. The INS alignment proceeds as normal. I stop recording before completion of alignment, because there's no need to sit through minutes of it. It works fine though.

"night startup.trk" is me applying the same startup process, in the mission that comes with the F-16, "The Night Life". I again set the INS alignment mode to "normal", and confirm the initial position/alt in the same way. INS alignment freezes and does not proceed.

(Flying the F16 in DCS Openbeta 2.7.0.4625)

Day Startup.trk

night startup.trk

Thanks.

• Like 1

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

3 minutes ago, ice41 said:

Something is moving your plane after the canopy closed, like really strong gusts of wind. I think that's affecting the alignment.

Ah, that could be it - there are planes taking off nearby, maybe I'm somewhat in their jetwash.

I'll give it a go tomorrow and set the parking brakes earlier, thanks - I appreciate you taking the time to give me the great suggestion!

• Like 1

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

7 minutes ago, animaal said:

Ah, that could be it - there are planes taking off nearby, maybe I'm somewhat in their jetwash.

I'll give it a go tomorrow and set the parking brakes earlier, thanks - I appreciate you taking the time to give me the great suggestion!

Don't bother with paring brake, put on chocks before you do anything else. Really stupid that DCS doesn't spawn the F-16 with chocks as this is common practice IRL.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

Don't bother with paring brake, put on chocks before you do anything else. Really stupid that DCS doesn't spawn the F-16 with chocks as this is common practice IRL.

Yes, that 's a good idea too, thanks.

This is what I like about the DCS community - so helpful.

• Like 1

Just in case anybody else is puzzled by this in the future... Thanks to Ice41 for spotting the jetwash.

This mission starts with a line of F16s and F15s ready to take off. Approximately 35secs after each one passes in front of the player's F16, there's a dose of jetwash that's strong enough to disrupt INS alignment. That's despite the runway being 200m away.

I've tried holding steady using both chocks and the parking brake together, but they're not sufficient.

The only solution I found is to wait until all other planes have taken off, then start INS alignment.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Edited by animaal
  • Like 3