Divide the "Textures" option into at least two separate settings: Textures (Cockpit), Textures (External)

Tuuvas

Having the ability to individually set cockpit textures and external model textures would be a godsend for VR users on 8GB or less GPUs.  Currently the difference in VRAM usage is pretty significant between Low and High, especially on heavily populated servers with a bunch of different types of aircraft.  For heavily populated servers, I tend to set Textures to Low to avoid choking my VRAM, but the tradeoff is incredibly blurry cockpit labels.  See below:

unknown.png

So my suggestion is to break Textures into two separate options:

1. Textures (Cockpit)
  2. Textures (External)

Edited by Tuuvas
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

With VRAM being a sacred resource for many running DCS, being able to get the sharp cockpit without the VRAM usage of subjectively negligible ground texture differences would be a super help - not the least for those not lucky enough to have a ReBAR-capable card or one with large VRAM capacity/bandwidth. Great idea. 

Edited by Woona

It would be nice!

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

+1

and while at it, do the same for shadows please

• Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I assume that the texture setting just halves or whatever other factor all the textures. It would be nice if instead of that it would set a maximum texture size so that the lower resolution textures are not further reduced. In VR I hardly can tell I'm using a lower textures setting in the most recent modules but the older ones suffer a lot when it wouldn't be needed because they are already using low resolution textures.

• Like 1

+1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

+1

6 hours ago, XCNuse said:

This and cockpit-only shadows would be absolutely tremendous in terms of performance gains for a lot of people.

I like this. Super crisp pit shadows and lower level ground shadows. Would be nice. 

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

2 hours ago, RenegadeSkip said:

+1

I like this. Super crisp pit shadows and lower level ground shadows. Would be nice. 

First of all, let me be clear, this needs to be implemented to the core game.

So I'm not turning my back on this wish, but to those who can't wait for ED to implement this, check out this sollution from @Motomouse in the meanwhile:

This will break IC though... So only interesting for SP

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

19 hours ago, XCNuse said:

This and cockpit-only shadows would be absolutely tremendous in terms of performance gains for a lot of people.

This can be done selecting flat terrain shadows and then using Mustang's Flat Shadows Removal Mod. Great performance gain when flying over forests and dense cities. The best is that you don't lose your own aircraft's shadow. The bad is that it will be the flat shadow that clips through terrain. But worth it.

Edited by average_pilot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...