F/A-18C: Operation Cerberus North by Ground Pounder Sims

Just below the front cowling on the left and right sides. They are covered by flip up switch guards.....

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

2 hours ago, MudzNZ said:

Anybody know where the fire extinguisher switch is? I cant find it

Top left of the front console, lift the cover and press the button, near the master caution I think from memory

1 hour ago, VDV said:

im in mission 5 now, and stil there are not even one AAR??? 

No there is no required AAR in the campaign (mentions this in the player guide).  A lot of people aren't fans of it and the AI cannot do it reliably which would break the missions.  In later missions where you need the extra fuel there is a mid mission checkpoint at the tanker.  You can manually refuel at this point if you wish but you will still need to exit for part 2.

I am really enjoying the campaign, but would like to see some AAR as well, minor point though.

One item which i would like to change is at start up. The other aircraft start and launch so quickly, i barely get #1 lit up and they are launching. Would be cool if we could taxi in sequence and launch one after the other.

Anyways, great campaign!.  

6 minutes ago, zoomie36 said:

I am really enjoying the campaign, but would like to see some AAR as well, minor point though.

One item which i would like to change is at start up. The other aircraft start and launch so quickly, i barely get #1 lit up and they are launching. Would be cool if we could taxi in sequence and launch one after the other.

I've had so many issues in the past with other land-based campaigns with other flight members running into me, not taxiing, not taking off, etc that I think this is a good workaround to avoid all that, and just meeting at WP1.

It's reminiscent of the procedure for Case III missions from a carrier that I've seen in other campaigns, so the general idea is not totally unbelievable.

• Thanks 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

11 minutes ago, zoomie36 said:

Thanks, glad you're enjoying!  I agree if you were taxing out in a group it would be really cool...but as unlikely spider says this would be a recipe for disaster at the minute.  I stay close to bug reports in other devs campaigns and the amount if trouble they are having with the AI not taxiing/taking off (as well as tanking) is crazy.  There's also the big issue of different player's doing things at different speeds, no-one starts the aircraft up at the same speed (some do short version of startup, some do all the real life tests, some auto start etc) so anything that requires timing in this phase is also best avoided.  Always appreciate the feedback and ideas though 😀 .

Well, after 6 missions my thoughts are:

Pros:

- Very interesting storlyline, awesome missions, a lot of voiceovers;

- Most realistic comms that I ever seen.

Cons:

- Lack of carrier ops (no SC module included in the campaing). Dont get me wrong, operating in TuAF Incirlik AB is pretty cool too, but Hornet is not F-16 or F-15, its a damn NAVY fighter...When you cut off carrier ops you cut off one of main Hornet`s cababilities - to operate on a boat.

- No AAR. I think it would be way more realistic, difficult and fun to include some AAR. In other paid campaings there are an AAR in alsmost every mission (and even a lot of missions with two AAR, night AAR, etc...).

Anyways, campaign is great, im just waiting for another one. Thank you.

Edited by VDV

11 minutes ago, VDV said:

Well, after 6 missions my thoughts are:

Pros:

- Very interesting storlyline, awesome missions, a lot of voiceovers;

- Most realistic comms that I ever seen.

Cons:

- Lack of carrier ops (no SC module included in the campaing). Dont get me wrong, operating in TuAF Incirlik AB is pretty cool too, but Hornet is not F-16 or F-15, its a damn NAVY fighter...When you cut off carrier ops you cut off one of main Hornet`s cababilities - to operate on a boat.

- No AAR. I think it would be way more realistic, difficult and fun to include some AAR. In other paid campaings there are an AAR in alsmost every mission (and even a lot of missions with two AAR, night AAR, etc...).

Anyways, campaign is great, im just waiting for another one. Thank you.

No worries, all viewpoints are valid and we're all after different things from these campaigns, so you'll never please everyone on every detail, instead I try to please myself first and hope you all like it too 😀.  I'm planning on returning to the Hornet in a future campaign and will be featuring the Supercarrier in that, at which point the SC should be more feature complete and have some bugs I've seen corrected as well.

Only thing I'll add in terms of realism is that Marine Hornets have precedent for operating on land bases in these types of operations, such as Southern Watch and OIF from Al Jaber, Kuwait, so it's not like I made a crazed decision to omit the carrier, the decision is more about AI reliability, implementation of a custom ATC and removing barriers to purchase.

Glad to hear you've still enjoyed a good deal of the campaign though, even if there's some builds to it you'd like to see.

Thanks for the purchase 👍.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MudzNZ said:

Anybody know where the fire extinguisher switch is? I cant find it

I couldn't find it either. Never used it. I had to look in Chuck's guide. I guess it's this one:

image.png

I took too much time and eventually failed the mission.

Although it's kind of frustrating because the mission went well, I think it's a nice addition to realism and immersion.

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

20 hours ago, 5e EVC Chappy said:

I couldn't find it either. Never used it. I had to look in Chuck's guide. I guess it's this one:

image.png

I took too much time and eventually failed the mission.

Although it's kind of frustrating because the mission went well, I think it's a nice addition to realism and immersion.

Did I not add a message to the screen saying where it was?  Thought I had (or maybe it disappears too quickly).  I'll look to patch it if not, I did think when making the mission that this could potentially catch people out.

1 hour ago, ChillNG said:

Did I not add a message to the screen saying where it was?  Thought I had (or maybe it disappears too quickly).  I'll look to patch it if not, I did think when making the mission that this could potentially catch people out.

Most probably yes. I must have missed it obviously.

• Thanks 1

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

7 hours ago, ChillNG said:

You did IIRC, but until it's lit the switch is not obvious.  The guard over it looks like a part of the dash and has no label to explain what it is.  Maybe add a picture in the general manual so it doesn't give away when you might need it (i.e. which mission), but will maybe help when the times comes.

Edited by rob10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rob10 said:

You did IIRC, but until it's lit the switch is not obvious.  The guard over it looks like a part of the dash and has no label to explain what it is.  Maybe add a picture in the general manual so it doesn't give away when you might need it (i.e. which mission), but will maybe help when the times comes.

thought it  was  quite  obvious  where  the  eng  fire  lights  were   and  what  they are  used  for,  guess  iam  used  to  flying  in  p3dv4   as  well flying  320  and  737 get  quite  used  to being  used  🙂

On 4/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, ChillNG said:

Ok checked it out and I managed to reproduce, not positive why we saw it but others didn't, but most likely dependent on where Poodle is when he turns to push into Gold.  If he turns too sharp this is when the Hornet's AoA bug can appear, and if he's over the mountains he struggles more to recover because of the ground elevation.

Anyways I've fixed it and as its a potential game-breaker, to save waiting for the next update please find the patched version here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1k-UVUzwFmjCVL7RUL7XNA3bAiE0hme09?usp=sharing

just drop this file into your DCS Install > Mods > Campaigns > Operation Cerberus North folder and replace the existing M8 file.

Thanks

I have same issue here with Poodle AoA 🤗 I will try the mission 8 again with Your fix. Thanks! 

Btw Operation Cerberus North is really amazing campaign. So immersive and real with VR!

Thank You Ground Pounder Sims / ChillNG!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hardware:

Asus ROG Strix X-570-F | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Asus GeForce RTX 4090 TUF Gaming | Kingston Fury Renegade DDR4-3600 CL16  64 GB | Corsair HX850i | Samsung SSD 980 PRO 500 GB M.2 | Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 | BenQ LCD BL3201PT | HP Reverb G2  | Loogitech G700s | Loogitech MX Ergo | Winwing F/A-18 H.O.T.A.S | TekCreations F18 Hornet Right Replica Panel | Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar FCC | Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder | SimShaker JetPad |

Software:

Windows 11m Home x64 ver.22H2| SteamVR | VoiceAttack | FPSvr | SimShaker for Aviators Beta ver. 2.6.1.0 |

On 5/4/2022 at 1:23 PM, ChillNG said:

By request, please see the attached guide to how mission score is broken down in every mission in Cerberus North.  Please be aware spoilers within!

Mission Scoring Guide - Cerberus North.pdf 334.71 kB · 11 downloads

Thanks! I just did M3 though and probably didn’t get all the points but I did a successful intercept, no SAM and most of the comms but still got a big fat 0 score…

it’s not a big deal though, really enjoying the campaign it’s brilliant so thanks!

33 minutes ago, L4key said:

Thanks! I just did M3 though and probably didn’t get all the points but I did a successful intercept, no SAM and most of the comms but still got a big fat 0 score…

it’s not a big deal though, really enjoying the campaign it’s brilliant so thanks!

Thanks!  Think you were looking at result, not score (or maybe the other way round).  One is awarded from the mission designer, the other by DCS itself based on kills.  In M3 this would be 0 as there are no kills to be had, but your score would be in line with the scoring guide.

47 minutes ago, ChillNG said:

Thanks!  Think you were looking at result, not score (or maybe the other way round).  One is awarded from the mission designer, the other by DCS itself based on kills.  In M3 this would be 0 as there are no kills to be had, but your score would be in line with the scoring guide.

I’m a dick lol 

Cheers! I got 100! Go me!

Edited by L4key
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I seem to have a problem with GPS coordinates provided in the mission packs vs. the target location igname. First time something was wrong was in mission 5, I entered the coordinates (precise) as waypoint, marked it as target and the TGP pointed to a park nowhere near the actual target location. I thought maybe it just looks weird in the pod, but the bomb also dropped exactly there. Same problem as this guy. Solved the problem by using WP4 as target.

Now, in mission 7 I am facing the same issue again. Coordinates of the target are nowhere near the location the docs mention, but more like south of Metro Yellow. I am using latest open beta version of DCS, so maybe they changed the coordinates grid or something? I double and triple checked that I intered the coordinates correctly.. Any tips would be appreciated

18 minutes ago, mijeraki said:

Hi,

I seem to have a problem with GPS coordinates provided in the mission packs vs. the target location igname. First time something was wrong was in mission 5, I entered the coordinates (precise) as waypoint, marked it as target and the TGP pointed to a park nowhere near the actual target location. I thought maybe it just looks weird in the pod, but the bomb also dropped exactly there. Same problem as this guy. Solved the problem by using WP4 as target.

Now, in mission 7 I am facing the same issue again. Coordinates of the target are nowhere near the location the docs mention, but more like south of Metro Yellow. I am using latest open beta version of DCS, so maybe they changed the coordinates grid or something? I double and triple checked that I intered the coordinates correctly.. Any tips would be appreciated

Did you put your INS switch to IFA after aligment?
I had a similar issue in other campaign. I had the switch on NAV instead of IFA.
INS switch must be on IFA if a GPS is available (any mission set during 1986 or later should have it) or at NAV if no GPS is available.

4 hours ago, mijeraki said:

Hi,

3 hours ago, 5e EVC Chappy said:

Did you put your INS switch to IFA after aligment?
I had a similar issue in other campaign. I had the switch on NAV instead of IFA.
INS switch must be on IFA if a GPS is available (any mission set during 1986 or later should have it) or at NAV if no GPS is available.

I'm hearing from Baltic Dragon that this is a new bug 😒. The TGP not lining up with the coords given has been around a while, but so long as you dropped on the coords in pre planned mode it was never an issue.  After the last update this may not be the case anymore. 

From what you said, the work around might be to use the coords in the briefing to set a new WP, the target this with TOO mode.

EDIT:

Just tested myself on mission 5 and all worked perfectly.  Used the coords in the briefing for a PP strike with both JDAMS, both hit bang on the target.  This was from an airstart, I input the coords, aligned the JDAMS to 01 quality then dropped them in PP mode no issues.  From what I'm seeing my original statement is still correct I think, the TGP won't line up exactly with the coords given, this is a bug Baltic Dragon is pursuing with ED, however the JDAM still appears to be fine providing the target is inputted correctly.

Edited by ChillNG