F/A-18C: Operation Cerberus North by Ground Pounder Sims

3 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

how is the fps, any better?

On the ground I still got a lot of stutters. But as soon as takeoff it basically disappears. Even in VR.
The Syria map is very demanding on computer. I heard the Channel map is even worse. But I don't own it.

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb 5e EVC Chappy:

Did you put your INS switch to IFA after aligment?
I had a similar issue in other campaign. I had the switch on NAV instead of IFA.
INS switch must be on IFA if a GPS is available (any mission set during 1986 or later should have it) or at NAV if no GPS is available.

Yeah, I always put it to IFA. I'll try NAV, maybe this works 🙂

vor 11 Stunden schrieb ChillNG:

I'm hearing from Baltic Dragon that this is a new bug 😒. The TGP not lining up with the coords given has been around a while, but so long as you dropped on the coords in pre planned mode it was never an issue.  After the last update this may not be the case anymore. 

From what you said, the work around might be to use the coords in the briefing to set a new WP, the target this with TOO mode.

EDIT:

Just tested myself on mission 5 and all worked perfectly.  Used the coords in the briefing for a PP strike with both JDAMS, both hit bang on the target.  This was from an airstart, I input the coords, aligned the JDAMS to 01 quality then dropped them in PP mode no issues.  From what I'm seeing my original statement is still correct I think, the TGP won't line up exactly with the coords given, this is a bug Baltic Dragon is pursuing with ED, however the JDAM still appears to be fine providing the target is inputted correctly.

Thank you for the feedback, in M7 i was also using the coordinates with the JDAMS in PP mode, no usage of TGP at all, still pointed me totally off target. I'll report back when I've used NAV instead of IFA as Chappy mentioned.

EDIT:
IMO the target is still at the completely wrong location in Mission 7. I've added a screenshot where I am at WP3, ALN good, PP Mode with entered coordinates visible. Target is being shown south of yellow gold. What am I doing wrong?

s1.png

Edited by mijeraki

2 hours ago, mijeraki said:

Yeah, I always put it to IFA. I'll try NAV, maybe this works 🙂

Thank you for the feedback, in M7 i was also using the coordinates with the JDAMS in PP mode, no usage of TGP at all, still pointed me totally off target. I'll report back when I've used NAV instead of IFA as Chappy mentioned.

EDIT:
IMO the target is still at the completely wrong location in Mission 7. I've added a screenshot where I am at WP3, ALN good, PP Mode with entered coordinates visible. Target is being shown south of yellow gold. What am I doing wrong?

s1.png

Your target coordinates are wrong.  Your North is correct but East should be E36 56 53.49.

vor 21 Stunden schrieb ChillNG:

Your target coordinates are wrong.  Your North is correct but East should be E36 56 53.49.

Oh my.. dyslexia kicking in again, sorry for that..

Edited by mijeraki

46 minutes ago, mijeraki said:

Oh my.. dyslexia kicking in again, sorry for that..

No worries, still definitely an issue with TGP coords though, I know BD has been pushing that so hopefully get a fix soon 

Had an issue with Mission 8 last night. 

Everything worked ok for a while, bombed the mortar then flew back to wapoint 4, at waypoint 4 poodle checked in again and they said continue. Poodle then turned 180 and flew back to around the same point as the mortar was and then just circled it. I stayed until bingo and then flew home but mission wouldn't complete.

Will try again tonight to see if its a one off, but a bit strange.

Thanks for the campaign tho, enjoying it so far.

5 hours ago, Solbaru said:

Had an issue with Mission 8 last night. 

Everything worked ok for a while, bombed the mortar then flew back to wapoint 4, at waypoint 4 poodle checked in again and they said continue. Poodle then turned 180 and flew back to around the same point as the mortar was and then just circled it. I stayed until bingo and then flew home but mission wouldn't complete.

Will try again tonight to see if its a one off, but a bit strange.

Thanks for the campaign tho, enjoying it so far.

Hi thanks for reporting, if you look at my forum section under DLC campaigns you'll see details on what's going on there, major issues brought in by the latest update.  Thankfully ED has fixed internally already, just waiting on next update now.

Edited by ChillNG
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just flew mission 8 I can confirm the TGP not lining up with the coords given bug is still there.
Not sure where the TGP is lining up but there's nothing there.

Will wait for a fix before continuing..

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

9 hours ago, 5e EVC Chappy said:

Just flew mission 8 I can confirm the TGP not lining up with the coords given bug is still there.
Not sure where the TGP is lining up but there's nothing there.

Will wait for a fix before continuing..

I'm not sure when that will be though, might not be anytime soon depending on the priority ED gives it.  More info on the specifics of the bug in M8 here (on page 2).  When I tried it the TGP got close just not exactly correct, so it shouldn't be a major obstacle, and if need be you can skip the task.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@ChillNGAfter refreshing my Hornet knowledge tried the first two missions of the campaign and damn, it's simply amazing. If the whole campaign is like that this is a completely new animal. Seriously, I don't remember having so much fun simply flying and navigating in DCS, this really feels alive..

I have a suggestion you might consider. Since you have a rather advanced scoring system implemented, would it make sense to let the players know where exactly they screw up? I was thinking about how to do that and had an idea about attaching the triggers to an object with a specific understandable name and when the hidden task is failed you blow up this object. This way we see it destroyed in the logs (DCS logs, Tacview logs) and understand what exactly we screwed up, when and where we were at that moment. I believe this would help us, perfectionists, to get these 100s instead of these pitiful 96-98s 😁Or you just do a debrief after landing, but I don't know whether it's possible to show when and where we were when the task was failed.

1 hour ago, Fiztex said:

@ChillNGAfter refreshing my Hornet knowledge tried the first two missions of the campaign and damn, it's simply amazing. If the whole campaign is like that this is a completely new animal. Seriously, I don't remember having so much fun simply flying and navigating in DCS, this really feels alive..

I have a suggestion you might consider. Since you have a rather advanced scoring system implemented, would it make sense to let the players know where exactly they screw up? I was thinking about how to do that and had an idea about attaching the triggers to an object with a specific understandable name and when the hidden task is failed you blow up this object. This way we see it destroyed in the logs (DCS logs, Tacview logs) and understand what exactly we screwed up, when and where we were at that moment. I believe this would help us, perfectionists, to get these 100s instead of these pitiful 96-98s 😁Or you just do a debrief after landing, but I don't know whether it's possible to show when and where we were when the task was failed.

Thanks for the kind words!  Great to hear you enjoyed the first few mission and I can promise you plenty more to follow!  This query has been raised previously, for now I've put together a scoring guide covering the points for each mission.  You'll find this here:

A debrief at the end would be pretty cool, it's something I've thought about, the main thing stopping me at the moment is the time it would take to implement and more importantly test it.  Them triggers are pretty simple, but the process of calling the debrief and timing it correctly and testing the combinations would be quite an undertaking.

26 минут назад, ChillNG сказал:

Thanks for the kind words!  Great to hear you enjoyed the first few mission and I can promise you plenty more to follow!  This query has been raised previously, for now I've put together a scoring guide covering the points for each mission.  You'll find this here:

A debrief at the end would be pretty cool, it's something I've thought about, the main thing stopping me at the moment is the time it would take to implement and more importantly test it.  Them triggers are pretty simple, but the process of calling the debrief and timing it correctly and testing the combinations would be quite an undertaking.

Thanks, I saw this guide, it indeed does give an idea of what's needed for a perfect replay, but unfortunately it doesn't allow to track what exactly went wrong. E.g. no one told me anything in mission 2 except "great job" here and there and I somehow got a 96. Did I screw up departure or did I screw up some turns in the valley? I don't know, Poodle didn't tell me anything except that I did great and I'm ready (yeah, right, good luck with that 🤣), nor did ATC.

Hope some day you'll make a debrief, as I'm pretty sure this campaign will live a long life and will be replayed and hopefully sold a lot. You already bringing the immersion to another level (e.g. in mission 2 I actually thought for a while that a switch on my HOTAS spontaneously died 😂), so this seems like a great addition to it. If I'm not mistaken I saw a simple debrief in the flight trainings series of campaigns for the Hog made a long time ago, but for some reason this practice isn't common in modern campaigns released by creators.

8 minutes ago, Fiztex said:

Thanks, I saw this guide, it indeed does give an idea of what's needed for a perfect replay, but unfortunately it doesn't allow to track what exactly went wrong. E.g. no one told me anything in mission 2 except "great job" here and there and I somehow got a 96. Did I screw up departure or did I screw up some turns in the valley? I don't know, Poodle didn't tell me anything except that I did great and I'm ready (yeah, right, good luck with that 🤣), nor did ATC.

Hope some day you'll make a debrief, as I'm pretty sure this campaign will live a long life and will be replayed and hopefully sold a lot. You already bringing the immersion to another level (e.g. in mission 2 I actually thought for a while that a switch on my HOTAS spontaneously died 😂), so this seems like a great addition to it. If I'm not mistaken I saw a simple debrief in the flight trainings series of campaigns for the Hog made a long time ago, but for some reason this practice isn't common in modern campaigns released by creators.

Yeah I think it was the Maple Flag A-10 qualification missions that did it.  Hopefully I'll get to it one day!

Edited by ChillNG
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/9/2022 at 10:42 PM, rcjonessnp175 said:

So bought campaign as it looks amazing, I fired up mission 1 and sitting in the pit at 12 fps in vr with stutters,  any other VR users able to run this campaign?  May have to wait for the multi threading update on my end

8700k at 4.9ghz 1080ti 32gb ram. Quest 2.

I've been running it and find the FPS in VR to be almost vomit inducing when sitting on the tarmac. We're talking 20s-30s range, with heavy stuttering. When up in the air I have consistent 45 (I always fly with ASW/reprojection on). 

Rig is 12600K@5.2, 3090@470W max power limit, 64GB RAM, SSD. 
DCS runs on a Q2 at 1.4 PD global, on OpenXR, v2.8 OB latest

I think choosing Syria as a map for this campaign and the fact that the airport and the surroundings are also full of blue units does not help. 
It is a shame, as I am loving the mission design (played through the first two and had a blast) but fighting through low fps to be able to fly doesn't feel right and takes me out of that suspension of disbelief...

Edited by SPAS79
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SPAS79 said:

I've been running it and find the FPS in VR to be almost vomit inducing when sitting on the tarmac. We're talking 20s-30s range, with heavy stuttering. When up in the air I have consistent 45 (I always fly with ASW/reprojection on). 

Rig is 12600K@5.2, 3090@470W max power limit, 64GB RAM, SSD. 
DCS runs on a Q2 at 1.4 PD global, on OpenXR, v2.8 OB latest

I think choosing Syria as a map for this campaign and the fact that the airport and the surroundings are also full of blue units does not help. 
It is a shame, as I am loving the mission design (played through the first two and had a blast) but fighting through low fps to be able to fly doesn't feel right and takes me out of that suspension of disbelief...

Yeah it has been a bit of a drag for some people, it seems that Incirlik/Adana (and the hangars at Incirlik) are quite severe on frames for some.  When building the campaign I certainly saw degredation of frame rates on the ground, but still perfectly playable (on a lesser system than yours).  I now have a system almost identical to your specs and don't really have this issue now.  DCS it seems is a funny beast when it comes to performance, and very hard to plan for.  A few things that have helped others with FPS in the campaign - disable TACVIEW - this can be quite impactful due to the heavy unit count in the campaign and if using WINWING devices disable the scripts they run.

I experienced also a big frame drop while on the ground at Incirlik. I do not use the WINWING app or script.

I haven't tested since I upgraded to a 3090, but my guess is more likely a CPU bottleneck

2 hours ago, 5e EVC Chappy said:

I experienced also a big frame drop while on the ground at Incirlik. I do not use the WINWING app or script.

I haven't tested since I upgraded to a 3090, but my guess is more likely a CPU bottleneck

Yeah agreed, I'm very hopeful the multicore update will be a big help overall for OCN.

8 hours ago, ChillNG said:

Yeah it has been a bit of a drag for some people, it seems that Incirlik/Adana (and the hangars at Incirlik) are quite severe on frames for some.  When building the campaign I certainly saw degredation of frame rates on the ground, but still perfectly playable (on a lesser system than yours).  I now have a system almost identical to your specs and don't really have this issue now.  DCS it seems is a funny beast when it comes to performance, and very hard to plan for.  A few things that have helped others with FPS in the campaign - disable TACVIEW - this can be quite impactful due to the heavy unit count in the campaign and if using WINWING devices disable the scripts they run.

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply, dude. Yeah Tacview has been disabled many moons ago. 
As for the variability in results, go figure. I use the simplex shaders+3Dmigoto, maybe that eats fps. Or maybe it's Simshaker's scripts, or VAICOM or ??? But, are you running it in VR? [insert "But did you die.jpg" here]

Sure as hell, when I read your other answer about hangars and Ugra being aware it clicked in place for me too, that's the moment where it is worse, it gets better the moment I get out of the parking area and when into the golf loop, it is already better. 

Being on 2.8 also doesn't help, as far as I understand (I had a long break... stopped playing last year and started again some 3 weeks ago). 

W/e, I'll just suck it up and enjoy the flying parts, not that we need to spend that much time with our faces in the dirt anyway. 

1 hour ago, SPAS79 said:

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply, dude. Yeah Tacview has been disabled many moons ago. 
As for the variability in results, go figure. I use the simplex shaders+3Dmigoto, maybe that eats fps. Or maybe it's Simshaker's scripts, or VAICOM or ??? But, are you running it in VR? [insert "But did you die.jpg" here]

Sure as hell, when I read your other answer about hangars and Ugra being aware it clicked in place for me too, that's the moment where it is worse, it gets better the moment I get out of the parking area and when into the golf loop, it is already better. 

Being on 2.8 also doesn't help, as far as I understand (I had a long break... stopped playing last year and started again some 3 weeks ago). 

W/e, I'll just suck it up and enjoy the flying parts, not that we need to spend that much time with our faces in the dirt anyway. 

Yes forgot to say in VR, I use Q2 as well but set PD for 1.2.  But yeah hangars are certainly the worst, it's got me thinking about a solution...

There's a copy of M1 with no hangar at the player start location here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yfpBHKLgkqybW75-Vyijee7UwjZfA_PD?usp=share_link

Give it a try if you want and see if it makes a difference.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have now reached Mission 15 and am reading "Mission 15 Planning Document.pdf".
So I have one question, what does "crow flies" written on the Fuel planning page mean?

> Approaching the target head on (100nm as the crow flies) at 25,000 feet and M0.75 should allow nearly 3.5 minutes over the target.

Edited by foobolt

It means direct straight line from point a to point b….

which is often normal for flying but not what ground vehicles would do as they follow roads and drive around obstructions.

But in most missions your route is straight “as the crow flies” as your waypoints are set to avoid threat areas or restricted airspace or just to get you to ingress from a set direction etc. so the actual distance you travel is higher than the direct distance between start and end points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Hi, just purchased this after loving the Kerman campaign for the Harrier.

Stuck on mission 1. Use Autostart and it fails (right engine parameter). Autostart works fine on the instant action cold and dark mission.
f10 menu disappears after requesting engine start.
Have tried both easy comms on and off.

Kerman campaign worked flawlessly. Not sure what's going on? help appreciated - would love to use this campaign.

4 hours ago, Solemn-laugh said:

Hi, just purchased this after loving the Kerman campaign for the Harrier.

Stuck on mission 1. Use Autostart and it fails (right engine parameter). Autostart works fine on the instant action cold and dark mission.
f10 menu disappears after requesting engine start.
Have tried both easy comms on and off.

Kerman campaign worked flawlessly. Not sure what's going on? help appreciated - would love to use this campaign.

Hi, can you check your keybind for the Comms menu, this sounds like you are using the Comms menu keybind (which is a more DCS wide generic option) as opposed to the Hornets radio keybind.  The one you are looking for is called something like COMM1 or COMM2 switch (either should work) and is under the HOTAS keybinds.

Nothing in the campaign should affect the autostart, there are nothing programed in that touches any of that.

Edited by ChillNG