Will we be M5 tape or M4?

deadpool

M4 tape

From this tape onwards the first release was already a subrelease starting at MX.1

M4.1 tape

• Introduction of advanced short-range missile, as a replacement for the current Sidewinder (AIM-9X, IRIS-T)
  • Integration of advanced Link-16 functions
  • Integration of SNIPER targeting pods

M4.2 tape

• Integration of the latest HARM Targeting System (HTS) and its R7 software
  • Integration of SNIPER targeting pod and its S3 software (capable of cataloguing, storing and relaying target images using the Link 16 data-link. M4.2 gives the capability to use the HTS and Sniper ATP on the same aircraft)

This tape was the first common software for USAF CCIP upgraded block 40/50 airframes.

M4.3 tape

• "Clean-up" tape (intended as correction to imperfections found in earlier phases)

M5 tape

M5.1 tape

• Integration of capability for stand-off weapons (AGM-154) <-- (We will get this as per  )
  • Introduction of more advanced A/G weapons (EGBU-12)
  • Introduction of advanced Stores Management System and Joint Mission Planning System
  • Introduction of an improved GPS/INS system (more accurate and jamming proof)
  • Introduction of new Link-16 message standards to improve interoperability between different aircraft types
  • Installation of AN/ARC-210 VHF radios to enable radio contact with FAC’s on the ground <-- (We will get this as per 

M5.2 tape

• "Clean-up" tape (intended as correction to imperfections found in earlier phases)

Now according to https://military.wikia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon_variants#cite_note-Blk_50-52_F-16.net-5 let's quote:

Northrop Grumman was awarded a contract in early 2004 to develop an M5+ upgrade kit to update the AN/APG-68(V)5 radars on the Block 40/42/50/52 Falcons to the AN/APG-68(V)9 standard; upgrading of Block 40/42 aircraft began in 2007 and is to become operational on the Block 50/52 aircraft by 2010. 

Now with all of this combined, we should:

1.) either don't get the AGM-154 and neither the AN/ARC-210 radios .. which the 2 pilots that ED talked to said they had in 2007.

2.) get the AN/APG-68(9) radar and more importantly and way cooler for DCS, the proper L16 interop with Hornets, etc.

Of course I am still cursing that there won't be SDBs, but hey .. 

• Like 4

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

an unrealistic hybrid between tape 4.3 and tape 5.1 it seems., because enough people wished for AGM154 since otherwise the Viper would have no precision guided standoff weapons, and ED caved in to the vocal mob like they did for LAU88 racks.

Even so software tape is not indicative what what Radar version an aircraft operates. Take  European F16A MLU's which also have the same commonality software tapes but use an upgraded APG66 radar rather than the APG68 series of radars.

AS for APG68V9  although at some point planned for USAF F16's., it appears it was only ended up being adopted by foreign operators of block 50/52.  I have not see any definitive to suggest the USAF uses it. Whereas in comparison in open sources papers/ news that we know that all APG65's were replaced with APG73 in Hornets.

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 3

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

On 4/20/2021 at 5:11 PM, deadpool said:
  • Installation of AN/ARC-210 VHF radios to enable radio contact with FAC’s on the ground <-- (We will get this as per 

How does a post about the ARC-210 in the A-10C II module confirm we're getting it in the Viper?

Wrong link on my account:

This is the correct one confirming it:

• Thanks 1

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Hmm, so if F-16.net is anything to go by, we'll have M5.1 and our F-16CM is a 2008 F-16CM.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 months later...

It seems more 5.x than 4.x since we have JDAM. 4.x doesn't have IAMs at all.

HTS with R7 and radar v9 are the major changes I don't expect to see in DCS due to their sensitivity or at least difficulty in obtaining info.

I know the complaining would be intense but I'd be OK with stepping fully back to pre M5 with no IAMs, etc.

14 minutes ago, Frederf said:

It seems more 5.x than 4.x since we have JDAM. 4.x doesn't have IAMs at all.

HTS with R7 and radar v9 are the major changes I don't expect to see in DCS due to their sensitivity or at least difficulty in obtaining info.

I know the complaining would be intense but I'd be OK with stepping fully back to pre M5 with no IAMs, etc.

Tape M3 had IAMs

• ED Team

Hi,

we have stated in our roadmap and feature topic it is M4.2+ 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 7 months later...
8 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Any news about AGM-154A? Im sure we will never see the B version, since it has been never produced for regular use.

It's already implemented.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

27 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Oh, stupid me. I confused it with AGM-84H: https://www.f-16.net/f-16_armament_article12.html

Only operator I can find for that is the Turks with their Peace Onyx III/IV aircraft (which also have a different RWR, internal DECM, IRIS-T, HGK, LANTIRN, and a drag chute).

• Like 1

System:

6 hours ago, Frederf said:

What does the plus mean in M4.2+?

Like Furiz touched upon, as far as I know, there is no tape that's officially designated as M4.2+. The only conclusion I can come to is that they chose to call it M4.2+ so they can incorporate some of the features of M5.1 while excluding others.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

That is how the OFP are named or labeled in USAF manuals at the time (circa 2007) all of the OFP TCTO mention in the manuals have a plus at the end.

Edited by mvsgas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..