Issues with campaign - What I am doing wrong?

SVgamer72

I don't mean to come off as a complainer, and this campaign is a dream come true, but I am running into some show stopper issues...

1. The AI climb rate forces me to overstress my engine to keep up. - Multiple missions I have blown my engine running high mp and rpm just to stay in contact with my flight (52/2550) until they level off. No matter how careful I am with the temps the engine blows late into the mission. I either fly solo lagging miles behind, or blow the engine keeping in formation. I spend more time trimming and playing with oil/intercooler shutters to minimize drag than enjoying the flight.

2. My element lead is a coward. - At the point of contact with the Luftwaffe, my flight lead will turn the other direction, descend down to 12-15K, putz around away from the action, and then turn for home when the radio call comes in to form up and leave without ever getting close to an enemy plane. This has happened on 3 missions in a row (4, 5, 6). On the way home my engine blows (see #1).

Hi,

Thanks for the report.

1 - AI climb speeds are hard coded ,and it's not easy to keep up - see my playthrough video on youtube. Don't be afraid to use 2550 rpm and 52". As long as you manage the temperatures with the intercooler and oil cooler you should be fine. Also, trim your aircraft perfectly, and  fly clean.

2 - this is a new DCS AI feature introduced with 2.7. Even though I told him to engage with triggers, WWII AI now evaluates the tactical situation and may decide to run away or to reposition itself. I think this is a terrible new feature and I have absolutely zero control over it. It cannot be switched off or overwritten in the mission editor. When he does that just leave him. I'm pushing ED for a solution, or at least a switch to disable it.

Edited by Reflected

Thank you foe the quick response. I finished the video you recommended and took notes on your engine management recommendations and AI pointers.

The campaign as a whole is mind blowing. The large formations of fighters and bombers is jaw dropping. No sim has ever looked this impressive and immersive, and the work you put into it is as amazing as the results on screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

SVgamer72, hi!

Well, I've seen a lot of engine trouble around and, if I may, here goes my humble tips:

On the ground, warm up your engines properly. Maintain oil cooler and intercooler in Neutral. Period!

After takeoff, 

Close the Cowl Flaps,

Reduce your rpm to 2550 and leave it there! Period (in cruise, sometimes I bring it down to 2.400. Only if I coming back home ALONE I reduce it to 2150rpm to save fuel).

Manifold as necessary. AI accelerations and climbs are on 52" and 2550rpm. If necessary, add more manifold (54" is ok and even WEP), but keep rpm 2550. Pay attention to your temps. If they go to high open to 3/4 open (never needed to full open it). Once ok, bring oil cooler and intercooler back to neutral.

After takeoff is finished (above 1000ft), change to your external tanks.

Use belly until it starves or you get in combat.

If underwings, use you clock minute pointer as a cue. Minute 00 to 30 use right tank, 31 to 00 use the left tank. In cruise, you may reduce you mixture to LEAN.

In combat,

Use your main tank,

Drop your externals.

Mixture in Rich.

Oil Cooler and Intercooler in Neutral or just a bit above neutral.

Check rpm in 2550 (and leave it there).

Use WEP when necessary only. 

When Feet-wet returning home, you may reduce RPM and Mixture to Lean.

Good luck,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

I will put those tips into practice! I am still breaking the engine occasionally, and I am sure your pointers will help.

I am 7 missions in now, and have the AI sorted (workarounds noted in Reflected’s video). 7 hard earned kills protecting the “Big Friends” that played out like WWII gun cam footage.

Easily the best campaign I have ever played in any flight sim. Hits all the “realism” marks, totally immersive, and I feel like part of the war effort vs having to singlehandedly shoot down AI like John Wick in every mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Good, SVgamer!

So far, I never had a P-47 engine failure following these tips. I just flew mission 8 and I made 2 more kills. It's embarrassing to admit I stole on AI kill (not intentionally), but so far I got 11 kills + 2 JU-88s strafed on the ground. As reflected said, these are not Hollywood missions. A lot of en-route navigation to a few moments of "terror"... LOL

All the best,

Sydy

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
21.04.2021 в 11:40, Reflected сказал:

Hi

Hi. Many thanks for the Campaign. It's really great and interesting. 
Could I ask you about mission #11 (may be it happens during another flight, I'm not sure)?
When I landed at airfild and damaged landing gear and motor, I could not finalize the mission by pressed corresponded button. I pressed it but it doesn't work. 
I'm only able to chosing ''close" button and lost progress in company. That is why I'l have to replay this mission the 3rd time 🙂
Is it OK or "I am doing smth wrong?" (c)

Upd.: during the 3rd time fligth, I had to bail out above the Channel and I finalizde mission succesfully by pressed the button...  but only with 50% of success (I bailed out closer to Franch side, unforfunately). That is why I'll need the 4th restart :)))

BTW, before bail out I  switch on radio channal "C", send the request for See Resque Team (or smth else, I don't remember exact name of this service, sorry), but... It sounded like in "Tom Sawyer":

"Help!"

No answer.

"Help!"

No answer.

:))

Edited by PeevishMonkey

On 7/12/2022 at 7:47 AM, PeevishMonkey said:

Hi. Many thanks for the Campaign. It's really great and interesting. 
Could I ask you about mission #11 (may be it happens during another flight, I'm not sure)?
When I landed at airfild and damaged landing gear and motor, I could not finalize the mission by pressed corresponded button. I pressed it but it doesn't work. 
I'm only able to chosing ''close" button and lost progress in company. That is why I'l have to replay this mission the 3rd time 🙂
Is it OK or "I am doing smth wrong?" (c)

Upd.: during the 3rd time fligth, I had to bail out above the Channel and I finalizde mission succesfully by pressed the button...  but only with 50% of success (I bailed out closer to Franch side, unforfunately). That is why I'll need the 4th restart :)))

BTW, before bail out I  switch on radio channal "C", send the request for See Resque Team (or smth else, I don't remember exact name of this service, sorry), but... It sounded like in "Tom Sawyer":

"Help!"

No answer.

"Help!"

No answer.

:))

Yeah, ASR does not always hear you, it's not a guaranteed free pass. You need to be close enough to England for it to work.

• Thanks 1