Wishlist..

StevanJ
Go to solution Solved by StevanJ,

On 12/11/2021 at 4:43 AM, Callsign112 said:

Well I went back and now realize why I thought it was awkward, I wasn't using the Num5 key to center the gun when the situation called for it. Like I said before, the vast majority of the times I have problems with Combined Arms, it is usually something I am doing, or not. Not saying there aren't lots of things that need fixing, but the Combined Arms module is definitely worth the price of admission. It wouldn't take much for this flight SIM (digital combat simulator) to show the other tanks games the right way to do it.

Things are super smooth in the gunners seat now.

RtShift + L = Tracking mode, or "Enter" key = Target Lock mode

V key = Gun Stabilization

MMB = Turret Axis mode

L key = Lase target

Num5 key = Cancel Gun Stabilization and center gun to hull

Disable "Platform shake" from the same special options menu, you can disable the "Compute firing solution"

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

29 minutes ago, Shadow KT said:

Disable "Platform shake" from the same special options menu, you can disable the "Compute firing solution"

Thanks for the head up, but if you turn that on, what do you do if you are in a vehicle that doesn't have gun stabilization, or you don't have it activated? I don't like that special options feature for that reason. If I'm in a tank that doesn't have it, I want the platform to shake.

Admittedly I don't know the history behind the platform shake feature, but if it was to make gun stabilization look like it was doing something, then it would be better IMO to just model the gun stab feature so that when you turn it on, the platform stops shaking. But I'm not sure, is there some other purpose the platform shake feature serves?

On 12/13/2021 at 8:28 PM, Callsign112 said:

Thanks for the head up, but if you turn that on, what do you do if you are in a vehicle that doesn't have gun stabilization, or you don't have it activated? I don't like that special options feature for that reason. If I'm in a tank that doesn't have it, I want the platform to shake.

Admittedly I don't know the history behind the platform shake feature, but if it was to make gun stabilization look like it was doing something, then it would be better IMO to just model the gun stab feature so that when you turn it on, the platform stops shaking. But I'm not sure, is there some other purpose the platform shake feature serves?

You are better off with it turned off. It won't feel like you have gun stab on non stabilized platforms. There will be significantly less shake tho.

'Shadow'

• 1 month later...

Requests I'd add:

Vehicle movement controls, left/right axis

Vehicle movement controls Brake axis.

When taking control of a vehicle that is on a waypoint route as a JTAC or Tactical Commander, instead of defaulting to disabling the route and stopping, default to the vehicle continuing to travel on the active route on autopilot until the player actively takes control.   The current behavior can create havoc if you grab a unit in a convoy in tight quarters.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

23 hours ago, esb77 said:

Requests I'd add:

When taking control of a vehicle that is on a waypoint route as a JTAC or Tactical Commander, instead of defaulting to disabling the route and stopping, default to the vehicle continuing to travel on the active route on autopilot until the player actively takes control.   The current behavior can create havoc if you grab a unit in a convoy in tight quarters.

This one is a must.

• Like 1

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

On 1/30/2022 at 1:38 PM, esb77 said:

Requests I'd add:

Vehicle movement controls, left/right axis

Vehicle movement controls Brake axis.

This could be a good idea, but I'm not sure I understand completely. Can you provide a little description on how you would use the requested feature?

Once you take direct control of the unit, you are already actively in control which is why the unit stops. Do you mean you would like to be able to use the turret/gun, but don't cancel the Ai way point until you hit one of the A, S, W, D keys?

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Callsign112:

Once you take direct control of the unit, you are already actively in control which is why the unit stops. Do you mean you would like to be able to use the turret/gun, but don't cancel the Ai way point until you hit one of the A, S, W, D keys?

I think he just wants that if a unit has an assigned route and you take control that the autopilot is engaged. This way, the vehicle will continue to follow the assigned route.

What currently happens is that you are immediately in control and the short orientation phase is usually enough to screw up unit coordination. Additionally, IIRC, the route is also invalidated and reenabling the autopilot isn't enough. So you need to reassign the whole route. Can't say right know for sure if other members of your group also loose the route and stop following it or if only the controlled unit is affected, but I think it was the case.

Edited by Wychmaster
  • Like 2

I wish that they can gather the most knowledgeable people from the CA community, hear us out once, implement the small features we want... most of which are just tweaks and modifications of already existing features, do them once and leave to be happy, with the occasional bug fix

'Shadow'

8 hours ago, Wychmaster said:

I think he just wants that if a unit has an assigned route and you take control that the autopilot is engaged. This way, the vehicle will continue to follow the assigned route.

What currently happens is that you are immediately in control and the short orientation phase is usually enough to screw up unit coordination. Additionally, IIRC, the route is also invalidated and reenabling the autopilot isn't enough. So you need to reassign the whole route. Can't say right know for sure if other members of your group also loose the route and stop following it or if only the controlled unit is affected, but I think it was the case.

Yeah I have already looked at this exact thing.

It only affects the unit you take direct control of unless you take direct control of the lead unit, then the way point gets cancelled for the entire group.

So lets say you have a group of 10 vehicles following a set of way points and you take control of any unit except the lead, all of the vehicles except the one you are in obviously continue to follow the way points.

If you then leave the vehicle you took control of, it will drive to regroup with its lead again and follow what ever way points are remaining. But if you take control of the lead vehicle, the whole group will be stopped at the point you took direct control. You would have to reassign way points while the mission is running if you want that group to move again.

So the message is, keep this in mind if and when you might want to take direct control of a unit. Don't take control of the lead unit if you want the rest of the group to continue following preassigned way points. And if there is no space between units because you are using custom way points, you can always opt to take the very last unit, that way all other units will keep moving without interruption.

I was interested in knowing more about how he wanted to use the requested feature, because unless he severely decreased the distance between units in a group with custom way points, all other formations use a very generous amount of distance between units. There should be plenty of time to maneuver using either W, A, S, D, or autopilot once you take control. 

I think if you compare our interpretations of what he wants, we are both saying the same thing... I think! He wants the unit to continue on its preassigned way point until he decides to change it with his own W, A, S, D/autopilot input. The only other reason you would want to take control would be to use the turret/gun.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 6:20 PM, Pilot Ike said:

I don't know the exact wording here, but I mean the locking of air and ground targets and then getting an aiming cue for the perfect firing solution. It's highly unrealistic for most units. 

admittedly a little simplified in DCS, but in Steel Beasts there is also a "fire solution" . then why is it unrealistic here?

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Hobel:

admittedly a little simplified in DCS, but in Steel Beasts there is also a "fire solution" . then why is it unrealistic here?

The firing solution type that exists in the other tank simulator also exists in DCS (aka tracking mode). It's just that most people do not use it, because they probably don't know how to use it correctly (I am currently working on a tutorial). 

The problem with the simplified DCS version is that it works on every vehicle, also a simple mounted MG with no optics and computer (IIRC). Tracking mode is only available in modern tanks that have such a system. Additionally, the simple version ignores some limitations of the "correct" firing solution in tanks. 

If you use modern tanks, it is not such a big issue, because the simple version actually has some drawbacks when compared with tracking mode. For example, the calculation of the solution takes some time and you might loose sight of your target while chasing the aimpoint.

But for WW2 battles it is simply unrealistic and unfair if only some people use it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Wychmaster said:

The firing solution type that exists in the other tank simulator also exists in DCS (aka tracking mode). It's just that most people do not use it, because they probably don't know how to use it correctly (I am currently working on a tutorial). 

The problem with the simplified DCS version is that it works on every vehicle, also a simple mounted MG with no optics and computer (IIRC). Tracking mode is only available in modern tanks that have such a system. Additionally, the simple version ignores some limitations of the "correct" firing solution in tanks. 

If you use modern tanks, it is not such a big issue, because the simple version actually has some drawbacks when compared with tracking mode. For example, the calculation of the solution takes some time and you might loose sight of your target while chasing the aimpoint.

But for WW2 battles it is simply unrealistic and unfair if only some people use it.

I really appreciated the help you gave me, and would like to encourage you to complete your tutorial. I am sure a lot of people will find it very useful. Thanks in advance and hope to see it out soon. 

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Callsign112:

I really appreciated the help you gave me, and would like to encourage you to complete your tutorial. I am sure a lot of people will find it very useful. Thanks in advance and hope to see it out soon. 

Working on it, but I guess it will take some time. There is a huge distraction on the horizon (Apache). As soon as it is ready, I will open a new thread for it.

• Thanks 1

In the F10 map:

-select units by drag and drop

-indications of ROE (icon)

-indications of radar status, on/off/destroyed (icons)

-sound alarm and indication when a group finish its route

-sound alarm and indication when a unit is shot

-sound alarm when a unit detects an enemy

-a window which shows aamo type and how much its left on each unit has on a group

-always set movement speed at maximum (maybe in a special option in the main manu)

Edited by Ignition
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 2:46 PM, Ignition said:

In the F10 map:

-select units by drag and drop

-indications of ROE (icon)

-indications of radar status, on/off/destroyed (icons)

-sound alarm and indication when a group finish its route

-sound alarm and indication when a unit is shot

-sound alarm when a unit detects an enemy

-a window which shows aamo type and how much its left on each unit has on a group

-always set movement speed at maximum (maybe in a special option in the main manu)

+1 on the drag and select. We need this so bad.

You should be able to see the ROE if you have CA from the F10 map, as you can adjust it there. But I noticed sometimes when I set ROE in the mission editor that the unit doesn't follow the way I set it. I will have to add this to a bug thread with a track at some point.

But I am wondering if alarms sounding when units finish/get shot/detect enemy wouldn't be overly complicated especially with large missions?

Some good ideas though.

- Turret traverse brake (where applicable) - noticed that when stabilised, the turret overshoots and then corrects instead of stopping more or less immediately.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, Callsign112 said:

I think if you compare our interpretations of what he wants, we are both saying the same thing... I think! He wants the unit to continue on its preassigned way point until he decides to change it with his own W, A, S, D/autopilot input. The only other reason you would want to take control would be to use the turret/gun.

Yes, pretty much this.  There are a lot of situations where for movement you'd just stay in F10 view and play with waypoints, without ever jumping in to drive a vehicle.  However, it's often potentially very useful to shoot/laze/operate radar/observe from a vehicle that's in a group that's already moving on a waypoint route.  Oddly, the lead vehicle often has the best view of the battlespace due to a lack of obstruction from other units in the group.  Even in other vehicles in the order, if the route is a road following route that is constrained by terrain or structures, having one vehicle stop can create a very disruptive roadblock, not to mention that stopping makes a much easier target.  I think that in general, it would be more useful to jump in and have the default behavior be autopilot continuing to operate, and have driving inputs cancel the autopilot in the same way throttle or brake cancel the cruise control.  That way it's responsive if you're jumping in to drive, but doesn't create disruption if you're attempting to enter the vehicle for some other purpose.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

Well if you just want to be able to see the terrain from a vehicles perspective, you don't have to take control of it, all you have to do is select the unit you would like to view the terrain from by clicking on its icon on the F10 map, and then hit F7. So in answer to your original post, if you just want to view the battle field before taking control of the unit, you can do that using F7.

But if you want to operating the vehicle in any way, you have to take control to do that, which I don't think should be a problem because if you want to use the vehicle as a JTAC for example, I imagine you would need to get the vehicle in position first.

And there is also an autopilot feature that allows you to divert your focus to other tasks while the vehicle moves.