hornet trim question

junneh

Hey guys

Recently got back into DCS with F16. Looking to buy F18 with the sale now. I do have however one question about how the F18 trim works.

With the f16 its near impossible to trim the plane wings level (left-right) while others like the Mirage trim effortlesly for level flight. Does the Hornet also suffer from this? cause it really kills any enjoyment with the 16 for me getting that micro roll going on every time and never be level.

1 hour ago, junneh said:

Hey guys

Recently got back into DCS with F16. Looking to buy F18 with the sale now. I do have however one question about how the F18 trim works.

With the f16 its near impossible to trim the plane wings level (left-right) while others like the Mirage trim effortlesly for level flight. Does the Hornet also suffer from this? cause it really kills any enjoyment with the 16 for me getting that micro roll going on every time and never be level.

I had that issue with it when I was using my warthog base. Like the amount of trim needs to be halved per button press. Sometimes it's either a little too much one way or the other.

Trim in the Hornet is much more controllable than in the Viper. No issues there. You can easily find tune the roll trim for asymmetric loadouts (which are common in the Hornet) and the pitch trim for landings.

• Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

5 hours ago, Monkwolf said:

I had that issue with it when I was using my warthog base. Like the amount of trim needs to be halved per button press. Sometimes it's either a little too much one way or the other.

Thats what im using also with the grey trim hat on the warthog. Thought it might be something like this already, cause when i try my best to activate it only for a split second, sometimes the trim is alright.

Is there a fix for it beside rebinding to maybe another hat?

And good to hear about the Hornet!

Edited by junneh

11 minutes ago, junneh said:

Thats what im using also with the grey trim hat on the warthog. Thought it might be something like this already, cause when i try my best to activate it only for a split second, sometimes the trim is alright.

Is there a fix for it beside rebinding to maybe another hat?

And good to hear about the Hornet!

A couple of workarounds might be:

+ editing the lua file for the plane controls to reduce the amount of trim each button press sends

+ mapping the hat buttons to be a relative axis, using something like joystick gremlin to control the value applied per button press

for the first.. couldn't help but look after typing that.. haven't tried it (yet).. but in <DCS_Install>\mods\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick, you'll see default.lua. in there, around line 50, you'll see the trim controls, like:

{ pressed = hotas_commands.STICK_TRIMMER_DOWN, up = hotas_commands.STICK_TRIMMER_DOWN, cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS, value_pressed =  1.0,    value_up = 0.0, name = _('Trimmer Switch - PUSH(DESCEND)'), category = {_('Stick'), _('Flight Control'), _('HOTAS')}},

might be able to change value_pressed to like .5 and have it trim half the amount it currently does.

edit to add modified block to set value_pressed to .5:

{	pressed = hotas_commands.STICK_TRIMMER_DOWN,		up = hotas_commands.STICK_TRIMMER_DOWN,				cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS,	value_pressed =  0.5,	value_up = 0.0,	name = _('Trimmer Switch - PUSH(DESCEND)'),								category = {_('Stick'), _('Flight Control'), _('HOTAS')}},
{	pressed = hotas_commands.STICK_TRIMMER_UP,			up = hotas_commands.STICK_TRIMMER_UP,				cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS,	value_pressed =  0.5,	value_up = 0.0,	name = _('Trimmer Switch - PULL(CLIMB)'),								category = {_('Stick'), _('Flight Control'), _('HOTAS')}},
{	pressed = hotas_commands.STICK_TRIMMER_LEFT,		up = hotas_commands.STICK_TRIMMER_LEFT,				cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS,	value_pressed =  0.5,	value_up = 0.0,	name = _('Trimmer Switch - LEFT WING DOWN'),							category = {_('Stick'), _('Flight Control'), _('HOTAS')}},
{	pressed = hotas_commands.STICK_TRIMMER_RIGHT,		up = hotas_commands.STICK_TRIMMER_RIGHT,			cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS,	value_pressed =  0.5,	value_up = 0.0,	name = _('Trimmer Switch - RIGHT WING DOWN'),							category = {_('Stick'), _('Flight Control'), _('HOTAS')}},

Edited by Monkwolf
  • Like 3