Runway in the Hud and Helmet

SUBS17

2 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

Could we please have the Runway, taxiway in the Hud and helmet as that is a feature of the A-10CII.

It is? Never heard of it and couldn't find it in the feature list on the Store and E-Shop pages either.

Sounds like a nice to have feature. Where'd you get that info?

I don't quite get it.

Are you saying this would be nice to have? Then I certainly agree. 😉

Or are you saying ED promised such a feature for the Scorpion HMCS? In that case I'm not aware of it ever being mentioned.

Or are you saying this is a feature of the Scorpion HMCS in the real A-10C? In that case ED never mentioned they'd implement it for DCS, as far as I know.

Or are you saying such a technology exists and ED should incorporate it into the Scorpion HMCS despite it not being part of it in the actual A-10C? In which case I'll simply unsubscribe from this thread. 😛

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SUBS17 said:

It is just a bit about that technology inside the SCORPION HELMET. This is really good for IFR approaches, the tech is coming to Airliners soon.

Well, airliners have fully integrated autopilot systems that can basically fly the complete route from take-off to landing with the pilot simply supervising the system. The A-10C does not have it. So where did you get that idea from? If you provide a source ED will likely have a look.

Without at least a link to a source showing this implemented on the modeled A-10C version we have in DCS (keep in mind this still isn't the latest upgrade), I doubt it will be added.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I do not know whether A-10C has runway overlay on hud, but it's really nothing fancy. Space Shuttle had it, Boing and Airbus airliners have it, Biz jets have it. Really old technology.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

13 hours ago, =4c=Nikola said:

I do not know whether A-10C has runway overlay on hud, but it's really nothing fancy. Space Shuttle had it, Boing and Airbus airliners have it, Biz jets have it. Really old technology.

As I said, every airliner and most business jets have a full blown autopilot, the A-10C has attitude hold and altitude hold... Different mission profile. 😉

The question is not "could the USAF have added a runway overlay", but "is there any source showing they actually did"?

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

45 minutes ago, shagrat said:

As I said, every airliner and most business jets have a full blown autopilot, the A-10C has attitude hold and altitude hold... Different mission profile. 😉

The question is not "could the USAF have added a runway overlay", but "is there any source showing they actually did"?

The real A-10CII has the Runway overlay and much more.

13 hours ago, =4c=Nikola said:

That is not as good as the SCORPION HELMET, the Airliner ones so far are not as good as what the A-10CII has.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

12 minutes ago, SUBS17 said:

That is not as good as the SCORPION HELMET, the Airliner ones so far are not as good as what the A-10CII has.

So how exactly do you know how good the overlay in the scorpion helmet is  and that its superior to what has been around for some time in other aircraft?
Do you have pictures? System description?

Regards,
Snappy

Edited by Snappy

3 hours ago, shagrat said:

I've just reacted to quote " the tech is coming to Airliners soon." which is not true. It's available for use in airliners for decades. Some airlines find it cost effective to install HUD because low visibility automatic approach and landing certifications for aircraft and crews are expensive to obtain and maintain. It's also the only option for aircraft that do not have autoland capability (a lot of regional and business jets and turboprops).

And of course, every HUD I've seen so far has runway overlay function. 

I believe HMCS is developed by Thales (renown in aerospace industry), and they've started to offer head mounted displays for general aviation. Basically, flying my 1970s Cessna 172, I can use same technology military pilots use in A-10C.

The question is, have USAF decided to enable that function and as you've said, there's no evidence they have it enabled.

Do not expect fairness.

4 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

Any source?! I mean anything apart from "me wants"?

I can guarantee you it is unlikely ED put anything into a module, just because a couple people say so in a forum post. If you don't provide a source or a any evidence, you basically waste your time, I guess.

Shagrat

11 hours ago, Snappy said:

So how exactly do you know how good the overlay in the scorpion helmet is  and that its superior to what has been around for some time in other aircraft?
Do you have pictures? System description?

Regards,
Snappy

ED would have to ask Boeing. It can do buildings as well as the runway/taxiway. It can do a moving carrier and a tanker.

Edited by SUBS17

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

That doesn't make any sense. Boeing is not selling or developing that device. Why would A-10C have overlay for carrier on HMCS? 

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.

On 4/24/2021 at 9:35 AM, =4c=Nikola said:

That doesn't make any sense. Boeing is not selling or developing that device. Why would A-10C have overlay for carrier on HMCS? 

When the SCORPION HELMET is used by aircraft that fly off aircraft carriers then they would be able to see the carrier in all weather with it. For example the F35B/C or Hornet. An A-10CII could see a moving carrier if that feature were turned on. Later they would be able to see terrain features if it were put into the memory. With this you can see the runway hundreds of miles away. 

Just to point out F35B/C and AV8B Harriers are using this technology which includes AUTO-APPROACH and AUTO-LAND. It is extremely good technology in not just being able to see everything in all weather but to avoid accidents by knowing precisely where everything is. For IFR it is very good and may become the new standard in flight safety for all aircraft. It also has a technology in order to make a flying car safe and practical. It is not the helmet but what is inside the aircraft that is the technology of HIGHLY ACCURATE NAVIGATION SYSTEMS PATENT! That makes this addon the A-10C II the first of its kind by ED to model the most advanced and accurate aircraft navigation system. It will be awesome when more features are added to show the technology to its full potential. IFR is where DCS Pilots will notice the difference when a runway and taxiway is in the Helmet. 

Edited by SUBS17

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

3 minutes ago, SUBS17 said:

When the SCORPION HELMET is used by aircraft that fly off aircraft carriers then they would be able to see the carrier in all weather with it. For example the F35B/C or Hornet. An A-10CII could see a moving carrier if that feature were turned on. Later they would be able to see terrain features if it were put into the memory. With this you can see the runway hundreds of miles away. 

It's not the same system.

Hornet uses JHMCS developed by Rockwell Collins and Elbit Systems

F-35 uses HMDS developed by Rockwell Collins and Elbit Systems

A-10C uses HMCS "Scorpion" developed by Thales

Do not expect fairness.

4 minutes ago, =4c=Nikola said:

It's not the same system.

Hornet uses JHMCS developed by Rockwell Collins and Elbit Systems

F-35 uses HMDS developed by Rockwell Collins and Elbit Systems

A-10C uses HMCS "Scorpion" developed by Thales

They are testing the SCORPION HELMET on all of them, it is more advanced than the others mentioned. This technology is 1 1/2 years old. Notice the SCORPION HELMET can see other aircraft but does not have EO-DAS or RADAR.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Worth noting the HUD in the A-10C is not certified as a primary flight instrument and should only be used as an aditional instrument during night/IMC conditions.

That, and the lack of evidence OP has to base any of their claims, leads me to believe this is just a 'gib fantasy feature pls' post.

Edited by Taco-Taylor
  • Like 2

The US Navy and Marines have had aircraft recover in IFR conditions safely during emergencies using that technology. It is very, very good.

14 hours ago, Taco-Taylor said:

Worth noting the HUD in the A-10C is not certified as a primary flight instrument and should only be used as an aditional instrument during night/IMC conditions.

That, and the lack of evidence OP has to base any of their claims, leads me to believe this is just a 'gib fantasy feature pls' post.

PATENT!

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

11 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

The US Navy and Marines have had aircraft recover in IFR conditions safely during emergencies using that technology.

That has zero relation to this module or forum area, the A-10Cs HUD is as i previously stated not a primary flight instrument as far as IFR is concerned and no amount of "but X service/airframe can do it" or "there are patents about system X" will change that fact. We can already do ILS landings so we can already fly IFR approaches and landings if that's your concern.

8 hours ago, Taco-Taylor said:

That has zero relation to this module or forum area, the A-10Cs HUD is as i previously stated not a primary flight instrument as far as IFR is concerned and no amount of "but X service/airframe can do it" or "there are patents about system X" will change that fact. We can already do ILS landings so we can already fly IFR approaches and landings if that's your concern.

They are using the same technology and helmet. So it is relevant.

6 hours ago, Elunnia said:

Fly the M2000C it has the overlay on runway in the HUD, even the autopilot to land the aircraft 🙂 Old french technology

You would consider this better than what the Mirage 2000C has, in fact they might eventually have the same technology put on their aircraft. This technology can replace the airspeed indicator, altimeter, compass and AoA indicator. It is so accurate that landing on a carrier is the No3 wire every time.  

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

They are using the same technology and helmet. So it is relevant 

Incorrect the USN and USMC have no ties to the Scorpion HMD on the fixed wing side atleast. They instead use the JHMCS (Hornets) and the F35 HMDS.

(Sources: Collins Aerospace and Thales information publications)

Edited by Taco-Taylor

13 hours ago, Taco-Taylor said:

Incorrect the USN and USMC have no ties to the Scorpion HMD on the fixed wing side atleast. They instead use the JHMCS (Hornets) and the F35 HMDS.

(Sources: Collins Aerospace and Thales information publications)

As far as you know, but I am telling you that they are testing them. Remember this, 3 wire every landing on a moving carrier. So for the A-10CII we might someday see the runway and taxiway outline in the Helmet and HUD. So it is tech that is very, very new. Like that new missile the APKWS that is capable of hitting people, precision!

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]