THAT was an amazing experience !

Svsmokey

First time i have had a chance to use lightening and mav displays and see new explosion/fire/smoke effects in 2.7 , followed by some terrain play in the gorges and cloud surfing between layers , all with butter-smooth performance , even running msaax4 and pd 1.4 . Enjoyed the smooth transitions from clear air to cloud when climbing/descending too . Yeah , that was an amazing experience - even greased the landing ☺

This update deserves first place in the ED hall of fame !

Edited by Svsmokey
  • Like 6

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Bringing a chopper over a mountain whilst moving into low level cloud was a superb experience. All visual references slowly bled away into wispy whiteness.

For the VR user there is a penalty to pay in frames per second.... we VR guys have very little fps to spare.

The new update surely costs me in headroom above my fixed 45fps.... but it looks great!

The colour of the ground, the colour of the cockpit, the reflections in the glazing, the shape of the clouds (although lacking detail in VR).... the look of metal in the BF-109 is superb.

Whilst us VR guys have suffered a little from this update, there is no doubt it looks fabulous, lighting in the pit is almost flawless. (spitfire has misty gauge glass mind).

In VR at 50% SS, 1.0 PD on the reverb G2 the entire whole world looks better, crisper and cleaner than it ever did. 

If Vulkan brings 30 fps increase in VR I will be very happy.

if it brings 20 fps then the 3090ti will be required.

If it brings 10fps then I will have a long and expensive road to travel.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I am on the stable branch (long story) and you guys are killing me with the 2.7 release. 😆 CANT WAIT to try it out. Also I recently build a new gaming rig with an 16 gig AMD 6900 XT, everything is just blasting fast now. These clouds will be awesome.

On 4/22/2021 at 1:21 AM, Rogue Trooper said:

Bringing a chopper over a mountain whilst moving into low level cloud was a superb experience. All visual references slowly bled away into wispy whiteness.

For the VR user there is a penalty to pay in frames per second.... we VR guys have very little fps to spare.

The new update surely costs me in headroom above my fixed 45fps.... but it looks great!

The colour of the ground, the colour of the cockpit, the reflections in the glazing, the shape of the clouds (although lacking detail in VR).... the look of metal in the BF-109 is superb.

Whilst us VR guys have suffered a little from this update, there is no doubt it looks fabulous, lighting in the pit is almost flawless. (spitfire has misty gauge glass mind).

In VR at 50% SS, 1.0 PD on the reverb G2 the entire whole world looks better, crisper and cleaner than it ever did. 

If Vulkan brings 30 fps increase in VR I will be very happy.

if it brings 20 fps then the 3090ti will be required.

If it brings 10fps then I will have a long and expensive road to travel.

If Vulkan brings a 10 fps more i will considere it a total success

• Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

Agreed, just 10 more fps can make the difference between barely playable and playable. Honestly I belive the CPU bottleneck is bigger than the GPU bottleneck in this game, i'm not particularly hopefull for any outrageous gains.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5ephir0th said:

Didn't they say that the Vulcan project was now on ice ... a mile away down the project stack? I may be wrong, but remember seeing that somewhere.

Time ago i search for the gain of Vulkan over OpenGL on XPlane and what i see was a 30-35% of performance gain, DCS starts from DirectX and not from OpenGL so I don’t know if it’s a valid reference but there it is...

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

On 4/23/2021 at 3:53 PM, 5ephir0th said:

Time ago i search for the gain of Vulkan over OpenGL on XPlane and what i see was a 30-35% of performance gain, DCS starts from DirectX and not from OpenGL so I don’t know if it’s a valid reference but there it is...

From DX12 to Vulkan, probably not, because they're both hardware level apis. DCS uses DX11 though, which is still the older software level api, so it will be a more significant difference, although I really won't be expecting ''30%''. Who knows, though, we'll find out eventually. Better to keep low expectations and be pleasantly surprised!

• Like 3

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Just now, Mars Exulte said:

Better to keep low expectations and be pleasantly surprised!

Very solid advice!

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I’ve heard from people that know a lot more than I do that DX12 “upgrades” are often not what they’re cracked up to be. Vulcan does tend to have better bang for buck. Let’s hope they’re right. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:54 AM, 5ephir0th said:

When I'd get that on crowded and heavily scripted MP servers that would at least double my rate.

I don't expect too much from Vulcan alone though, but having the underlying engine finally supporting and using multiple cores properly might do wonders on my end since my GPU load lingers around just 20-30% usually with DCS as it is so heavily CPU bottlenecked and an old 3rd gen, even overclocked a lot, just isn't state of the art nowadays, and well past the massive IPC increase that came with the 6th gen.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg